Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #1
Doyle Tampleton

Default electrical / inverter

New to the forum..My problem is ,,,,2008 Gulfstream Sun Voyager,,,When I run my main engine it charges my batteries. When plugged into a fifty amp my batteries drain and the frig goes off also the front half of the coach interior lights will not work. I assume it is an inverter has gone out. Is there a fuse or breaker some where in the system? Has anyone had a problem with the inverter, does this sound like a inverter problem?
Doyle Tampleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Chuck v

Doyle,

The shore power runs the house battery charger but not he engine battery charger in most of these coaches. For large coaches such as my Tour Master and likely your Sun Voyager which have an inverter to provide 120 volts to small appliances and residential refrigerators in the absence of shore power, there is a third stack of batteries that serve only the inverter and provide starting power for the generator. These inverter batteries are charged by the shore power through the inverter, or if the generator is running can be charged by that.

Do not confuse the inverter with the converter, which is another item in every RV large and small that provides power to the house batteries when on shore power or running on the generator, and this is the source of the house lights when not being sourced directly from the house batteries themselves. In most RV systems the converter charges the house batteries and keeps them at a float voltage while handling all the 12 volt lighting loads when shore power is available.

Coaches contain transfer switches that allow the selection of primary power sources from shore power, generator and/or inverter as appropriate, as well as battery shutoff switches that isolate the house and chassis/engine batteries for storage purposes.

Is your refrigerator an AC only residential type, or is it a propane powered unit? The propane units need 12 volts present to run, even on propane. Loss of a propane refrigerator function along with house lights that also run on 12 volts indicate an issue with your house batteries and possibly the converter.

Let us know what you find...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
hossross

I just looked at the circuit diagram for 50 amp (doesnt give application years, but no inverter is shown so older than your unit) and it does not show a dedicated 110 circuit for the fridg. I assume that you have 1 side of the 220 is not connected.
With a 50 amp shore power, you have 2 - 110 feeds, I assume they split the 220 so each feed half of the electrical load. and that the converter (110AC to 12VDC), the fridg, and front lights are on the same 110 feed. The fuse panel says that the fridg and TV are on the same circuit, does your TV come on when plugged into shore power? I don't see any fuses only circuit breakers on the AC circuits.
Do you have the same problem when running off the generator (disconnect the shorepower) if you do then I would suspect the auto transfer relay is the problem or the problem is between the relay and the power panel.
Does the fridg stop immediately and the light go off or does it take a while to run down the 12 house battery ? Can you put a volt meter on the house batteries with the shorepower plugged in ? 1.-- if so check voltage with engine off, and no shorepower, 2.---- start engine and measure battery votage. ( should go from about 12.6 V to over 13+ condition #1 to #2) Turn off the vehicle engine, plug in shore power and remeasure battery voltage. From what you described I think you will not be charging batt with shore power, I assume the refridg is propane & 110, if it works on batt then it is getting the 12 V needed to turn on the propane valve.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
Doyle Tampleton

In my search for my electrical problem there is a wire leading from the converter that has an inline fuse. I took it out and found it blown. It was a AGC 250 1/4 Amp .. What does this fuse control and does anyone know what requires such a 1/4 Amp protection.
Doyle Tampleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Chuck v

Doyle,

Much of the discussion above is regarding identifying the DC to AC INVERTER which does not have any small fuses in its recommended installation wiring versus the DC CONVERTER that powers the lighting. I am attaching a Xantrex manual here for your convenience...most likely it is wired as in option 2 the way my Tour Master was.

If you are indeed talking about the much smaller converter (the device that charges the house battery when the shore power is connected and provides house lighting under those conditions...) which is usually found under the bed in the big coaches -- then the inline fuse might go to any small 12 volt lighting load, perhaps even the floor lights in the bedroom area. When a bulb burns out, it often goes through a short period of high current draw which might have taken out that fuse.

First thing to do is to check that all the 12 volt lights and loads are being powered now, and if any is not working try replacing the fuse with a 1/4 amp slow blow type. The circuit will still be protected sufficiently to determine if the fuse blows again or something that was not lighting up is now working. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Below is the manual I mentioned on the DC to AC Xantrex inverter Gulf Stream used on coaches of this vintage... Sorry, I don't have a manual at hand for the converter and its recommended wiring options.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xantrex_Freedom_458_owners_manual.pdf (594.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Chuck v

Doyle,

Please, can you provide the manufacturer's name and model number of your converter? If it is made by GoPower, the manuals I find on-line do not show the installation wiring at the detail that includes any in-line small fuses...

Chuck

Old 11-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Batteries draining while plugged in implies CONVERTER/CHARGER ISSUE, but can happen on 50a if ONE HOT wire broken in the shoreline/ plug/ receptacle or post Breaker. Can also be 12vdc Breakers/ Fuses. or REVERSE POLARITY fuses if battery recently installed/ serviced?