Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-29-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
moviejunky

Post 2003 USceiling conduets, Dash TV removal

Hi all! Just bought a 2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme and am upgrading technology, trying to remove the TV over the dash. From other posts, it seems, (is it true?), one must remove all the cowling not just around the TV mount.

I also found flexi-pipes, conduits that are in the ceiling above the bed TV, power and coax in some, some empty. Some go side to side (where do they come out at?), One I've traced to the ceiling fan vent in the kitchen area. Is there a diagram or description that shows where all these go? Would like to use those to run wiring for 4G router, dish network, wired Ethernet, from dash to bedroom.

TIA
moviejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
bmojmhs

Mine is an 05 and the TV was held in by 2 plate stops at the front and a strap at the back. You will have to remove the wood frame at the front of the box and the cover at the back of the tv box. Once the plate and the strap are removed the TV will slide out. The old CRT TV's are heavy so make sure you have help.
I replaced mine with a 32" LED TV. The box is 3/4" plywood, so I cut a couple of pieces of 2 x 4 and screwed them between the steel supports on the right side of the box. Bought a swivel TV support and attached it to the 2 x 4's.
When I put the frame back on there was a gap at the top. I had a piece of laminate flooring left over so I cut that up, screwed it to the frame and and used it to fill in the gap.
We now use the empty space for storage.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
moviejunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmojmhs View Post
Mine is an 05 and the TV was held in by 2 plate stops at the front and a strap at the back. You will have to remove the wood frame at the front of the box and the cover at the back of the tv box. Once the plate and the strap are removed the TV will slide out. The old CRT TV's are heavy so make sure you have help.
I replaced mine with a 32" LED TV. The box is 3/4" plywood, so I cut a couple of pieces of 2 x 4 and screwed them between the steel supports on the right side of the box. Bought a swivel TV support and attached it to the 2 x 4's.
When I put the frame back on there was a gap at the top. I had a piece of laminate flooring left over so I cut that up, screwed it to the frame and and used it to fill in the gap.
We now use the empty space for storage.
Thank you, bmojmhs!! I was a little tentative about pulling off the wood frame face plate. I found the straps and the plates, just seemed like the wood frame was still attached to the side. But just old age it was "glued". With a little coaxing it came off.

Also if I wanted to remove the entire box around the metal TV frame, there are two snaps and each side. Once you remove the snaps and screws they hide, you have to dig under the snaps behind the upholstery are screws that hold the wood box the metal frame. I decided not to go that far at this time and did similar to you, put a 2 x 4 across the ceiling behind the top of the wood frame and mounted the flat screen mount to that. Full beautification hasn't started, the TV (24") covers the bottom of the box, there is the gap at the top.

As for the ceiling conduits, front to back I was able to find where they go and use for ethernet cable and one more coax cable to the rear TV. But the unused conduits side to side appear to just go to the side of the RV and stop.

Thank you again, you were very helpful.
moviejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
bmojmhs

I kept the strap that held the old TV in place.
Eventually I used it to make lifing straps for the plywood cover on the bins under the dining unit seats. It makes it easier for my wife to pick up the cover.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
bmojmhs

Another thing, there is a 120 volt plug in the front right cabinet that the TV plugged into. I ran a power bar from that outlet to the front of the TV box. I now have a usable 120 volt plug at the front of the motorhome.

Plugged in, I have a computer, phone chargers, a small heater, and the TV. The plug is on the curbside circuit so I have to keep track of what is plugged in on that side so I don't trip the breaker.

Tags
conduit information, tv removal