Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
txtwang48

Default Opinions on Kingsport 257RLS

Hi, I found your forums while looking for information on a trailer I'm interested in buying. It's a 2008 Kingsport 257RLS.
The trailer is slightly used and at a dealer here in Texas. The price seems to be reasonable and about what I'm looking for.
This is not my first trailer so I'm familiar with the trials and tribulations of trailer life but I know nothing about Gulf Stream products.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this series of trailer..good, bad or indifferent.
Thanks
Jerry
txtwang48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
rjf7g

Default Kingsport

When I was looking at new trailers, I looked at a Kingsport and it felt "cheap" to me. I ended up buying an Innsbruck and have been happy with it for two years.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
CampWinican

We own a 2004 Gulfstream which we purchased new in the summer of 2003. We have toured Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and many places in my home state of Michigan. Other that having to replace all 4 of the cheap tires that the trailer originally came with I have been quite impressed with the overall quality of the unit given the relatively cheap price. I found the fit and finish to be better than many of the trailers that we looked at when we were shopping for new.

I was looking for your floor plan on the Gulfstreamrv web site and the closest I could find was the 258RLS so i'm guessing your looking at one with a large slide. Ours has a small sofa slide so I don't think I can comment on your floor plan.

Not sure I agree with the comment about Kingsport being "cheap" compared to the Innsbruck. My opinion is they are basically the same trailer, like comparing a Plymouth Voyager to a Dodge Caravan.

Well, I could say more, but I gotta run. Like any purchase it's up to you to inspect and decide if the trailer is right for you. I crawled all over mine - above, below, inside and outside before making the purchase. I have not been disappointed.
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
txtwang48

Thanks for the replys...I chose not to buy the Kingsport as I found a Mobile Scout that fit the bill for me.
The Kingsport was nice but just a bit too much trailer for my intent and purposes.
Thanks Again
Jerry
Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
CampWinican

Well, I think you will be pleased with the Mobile Scout. In my geographic location they go under the name of SunnyBrook. In my opinion they are a "step up" from the Gulfstream travel trailers. You may have to pay more but you will be getting an aluminum frame (at least that's the way the use to make them) and an all around better quality trailer than the Gulfstream.

When it is time for our next purchase we will be seriously considering the SunnyBrook (Mobile Scout). Good luck and happy trails!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
txtwang48

Thanks for the reply Tom...I pick up my 99 Mobile Scout, 26CKS tomorrow. I'll only be moving it to the RV park of the place I bought it so I won't be going far.
According to the salesman and all the info I've found online says it is an aluminum frame. I saw a early model 60's Mobile Scout someone was restoring and it also had an alum. frame. I guess they've been using alum for some time??
My last trailer was a Prowler which served me well but I wanted a newer one with a slide out.

Not to say Michigan isn't nice in the fall...... but it was 76 degrees here in North Texas today.....beautiful

Jerry
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
nandj1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampWinican
In my opinion they are a "step up" from the Gulfstream travel trailers. You may have to pay more but you will be getting an aluminum frame (at least that's the way the use to make them) and an all around better quality trailer than the Gulfstream.
You better check again on Gulfstream -- OUR'S HAS ALUMINUM FRAME. Really insulated better than most, an all-around QUALITY unit, IMO.
Thank you, Lord, for Blessing us with our GS!
nandj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
CampWinican

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandj1966
You better check again on Gulfstream -- OUR'S HAS ALUMINUM FRAME. Really insulated better than most, an all-around QUALITY unit, IMO.
You would have to show me the proof before I could believe your statement. I do not know of a single GS Travel Trailer that is manufactured with aluminum side wall framing.

I just checked the features of the 2009 GS Trailmaster and they state:

"Sturdy 2 x 2 Wood Sidewall Construction, 16? On Centers (Walls are always set on the floor, not next to it, for maximum strength, and screwed into place)"
Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER

Default HERE ARE A FEW

they make alot of units with alum studs,,,, all of there fiber glass sided units are alum studs

here are a few

Gulf Breeze
Stream Lite
Fire Fly
Emeral Bay
Kingsport/ TrailMaster (4 modles in this line that i know of)
conquest
all of there luxury towables
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
nandj1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampWinican
Quote:
You would have to show me the proof before I could believe your statement.
I don't have to prove anything to you. But to do so, I would have to mail you my Owner's Book, which I am not about to do. Our IS a fiberglass body WITH aluminum frame. Made that way to be lighter weight which is what we needed.

Whether you believe me or not, it still EXISTS!!

HEY! CAMPWINNICAN -- LOOK WHAT I FOUND -- PROOF!
GO READ IT, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN:

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/litarchi ... Master.pdf
Thank you, Lord, for Blessing us with our GS!
nandj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
CampWinican

Quote:
HEY! CAMPWINNICAN -- LOOK WHAT I FOUND -- PROOF!
GO READ IT, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/litarchi ... Master.pdf
Thanks for the proof. Given the tone (yelling?) of your last post I get the impression that you are a bit on the defensive. I certainly wasn't looking to offend, it's just that every model/brochure I looked at showed only wood framing.

Maybe you would feel better if I told you that I have now been instructed?