Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Yooper

Default Winterizing-Anti freeze or not

We just purchased our first GS. It's a Yellowstone 8389 FRED. It's plumbing is obviously a lot more complex than anything I have ever owned. I need to winterize and am torn between using antifreeze (hate the smell and taste) and blowing out the system. Does anyone have any input on pros and cons of each?
Yooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Cakeman

Default Winterizing

You should here all kinds of replies. I do the anti-freeze and flush real well before we leave each time. We have a 04 Sun Voyager and only get anti freeze in the lines and drains. I drain the hot water tank, take it out of the system, and pull a line off the inlet of the pump to fill the lines, only about a gallon. Don't take long to flush.
I never have used air to blow out the lines, but I'm sure someone will reply with that answer.
Ron
Toledo, Ohio
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

I blow out the water system first with air after I drain the water tank and hot water tank, put it in the by-pass mode on the water distribution valve panel. I also remove the water filter and install the filter replacement insert for the drinking water and ice maker. I also remove the water lines for the icemaker and shut the valve off for it.

Then I also use RV antifreeze pump thru the system with the hose that I installed in the into line from the tank to the pump. I just had to turn two valves that I installed just for this purpose. I make sure that the antifreeze is pumped thru all the lines including the ones for the supply to the icemaker (but not into the icemaker valve) and cycle the washing machine as recommended by the manufacturer.

As far as the anti-freeze taste after flushing all the lines with water, I have never had such a taste. But I do flush with lots of water. I NEVER put any antifreeze in the fresh water tank, I just make sure it is drained as much as possible.

I know that to some that I go a little overboard doing both, but I have never (knock on wood) had a leak in any of our RV's in 18 years using this procedure. In our northern winters, I just have a warm fuzzy feeling doing it my way.

Another thing I found out works real well is we head to Florida right after Christmas, never had a frozen water line there in the past four years.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
11B

After I pump all my lines with anti freeze (if you have a fresh water hose under your unit don't forget it) and do the dryer I drain them with the drain valves leaving only anti freeze in the low spots of you system.

In the spring it leaves very little anti freeze to be cleared from the system.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
earljan34

I do the same as Ron (GStream 40) and also have not had any leaks or busted pipes in over 30 years. Back in the day of home made converted buses we used copper for the water lines with pressure systems if you had a leak what a mess when you pressurised the system!
I know I'm old probably most of you don't remember pressure systems no water pumps just a small compressor to make the water flow no plastic tanks either most tanks were galvanized . (Boy am I dating my self) Good luck winterising folks

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Yooper

Thanks for the input guys. I see that there are a variety of opinions out there but one point shines through. That being whatever I decide, use caution and ensure complete draining. Broken lines are no fun.
One thing I did find out though, buying a new coach 2 weeks before draining it and storing it for the winter is tough. Like anything else new, you just want to use it and use it!!
Yooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljan34
I do the same as Ron (GStream 40) and also have not had any leaks or busted pipes in over 30 years. Back in the day of home made converted buses we used copper for the water lines with pressure systems if you had a leak what a mess when you pressurised the system!
I know I'm old probably most of you don't remember pressure systems no water pumps just a small compressor to make the water flow no plastic tanks either most tanks were galvanized . (Boy am I dating my self) Good luck winterising folks

Earl
Earl,
I remeber those days. How about a 1968 Space Age Travel trailer, it had the galvanized steel tank taht one had pressurize with a compressor or hand pump, copper water lines and gas refrigerator that you would light with push button ignitor. The good old days!!

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
earljan34

Ron, I built 3 campers, The first one was a 1948 GMC panel truck better known as a beach buggy for fishing, Water supply was a beer keg mounted on the roof gravity feed.
Number 2 I went high tech water tank was inside and had a hand pump even had a toilet with a hand pump. This was a 1960 Metro walk in.
The last one was a old Greyhound bus the one that had a step up after the second row of seats, That one was real high tech hot water and a pressurized water system even a Monomatic toilet and a shower!
The good old days when we could fix anything on the side of the road, and campgrounds rates were in the single numbers and gas was $.75-$1.00 a gal O-to have them prices back, I'm really showing my age but when I first started driving 50 years ago gas was $.15 a gal in my neck of the woods but pay was low too,

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote