Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
tow daddy

Default New owner- Older Camper

I just bought a 1989 24ft Innsbruck camper and would like to find a user manual for it as well as a battery cover. The camper does NOT have any batteries at the moment and I'm not sure what size I need. The reefer does NOT work either, it's a Norcold model. Any help you can provide would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks,
Tow Daddy
tow daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
BigFoot

Default Batteries & Refrigerator

First Batteries. Suggest you get the best battery you can. I have had best performance and life out of the Interstate brand. You likely will have to buy a whole new battery box, even if you only need the lid. Find a box the same size, and just use the lid, or replace the whole box as you have it anyway. If the converter is working properly, when the trailer has power it will charge the battery as well as powering the 12 volt systems in the trailer.

Refrigerator. Replace the battery first and be sure it is fully charged Check to see if the refrigerator has power. There should be a light on the unit when it is powered on. ( Be sure to look for instructions on or inside the unit and follow the steps exactly ) If not check the fuses etc. Most units default to electric.
I have an old unit also ( 1994 ) and replaced the whole electrical box. The electrical systems, 120 volt AC and 12 vold DC are in the same box. The newer converters use PC technologh are more reliable, quieter, and run cooler. The fan only comes on when a temp sensor indicates it is needed. I did it myself carefully mapping everything. It took me from dawn to dark. Loose connections in the electrical box can be a problem especially on older units. They can get hot and burn up. Be sure to disconnect the power from the trailer before doing any electrical work.

Now back to the Refg. Norcold and Dometic are the two RV brands. They run on electricity or Gas. If the electricity does not work; try the Gas. ( for safety get the gas system pressure tested ) If you replace the refg. be sure to get the exact same size. The gas/electric units I looked at were about $1000. and up Only one brand made the size I needed. Disconnecting the gas, electricity, removing the unit, repairing the wood, installing and connecting the new unit took me two days. The door is a very tight fit and is easier if you have some help. An electric only unit costs less and fewer sizes are available. Those you would get at Walmart, Target or someplace similar. You might shop on the internet for a greater variety of sizes.

Hope that helps