Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
ronscarbor

Default New to Forum....2006 Independence Ls...A/C Problem....?

We are new to this forum and also new to Gulf Stream. We just recently traded our 2005 Rialta for a 2006 36' Independence LS...this is our first Class A MH.
On our shakedown cruise we think we had problems with the A/C. We have only one A/C unit, and it cools fine...then after several hours it just stops blowing cold air... It is still putting out a breeze, but it is not cold...as if the compressor has frozen up...! I'll turn the unit off for a few hours and then when I turn it back on it cols just fine again for several more hours... I haven't called the dealer because I wanted to get some opinions as to what it might be. I don't want to look like a fool if they tell me to just flip a certain switch that I haven't yet found....
Your ideas and comments will be appreciated...
Ron Scarborough
Silsbee, Texas
ronscarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
RJ82much

It's behaving as though it is icing up. I don't know what the cause might be however. Dirt on cooling fins, refrigerant pressure too high or low? These are things that a qualified A/C tech should determine.

Perhaps you have the thermostat set too low? (or it is defective?) I wouldn't hesitate to request repair.

Is your unit a Domitec? They seem to be a great company. If you don't wish to go to your RV dealership for A/C repair, Dometic can guide you to other authorized A/C service centers for their warantee repairs.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
RJ82much

PS to my previous post:

a Google search -

Icing up

An air conditioner that constantly ices up will need to be repaired. It can be due to a lack of refrigerant, bad fan motor, or inefficient compressor. Or it may simply need to be dismantled and professionally cleaned. This involves the use of equipment and tools only your service company will have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Icing up - only at night

Machine works properly during day, but ices up at night?

Probably because outside temperature falling below 60 degrees Fahrenheit during night. This allows the air conditioner to produce frost on the inside coil. This problem usually occurs in the fall when days are warm, but the nights start to get cold.

If icing occurs when temperature is above 60 degrees Fahrenheit then the air conditioner will need servicing.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
earljan34

Welcome to the forum Ron I think Bob has the right info on your problem good luck.

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
RV Wizard

Ron, first check to be sure that the air flow from the discharge side is not short cycling back into the return air inlet. A lot of times the unit is not properly installed and a gap in the division of these two ports can cause the unit to ice up. Use some foil duct tape to seal off any air that can leak through the output right back into the return and retry operation. Good luck and enjoy!
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Ron,

Make sure that you have no air flow restriction. I had that problem on a 5th wheel and also on our first Gulf Stream coach on one of the airs.

The problem was on both was when the duct was cut where the AC was installed they cut the duct on three sides and they pushed the access piece into the duct it restricted the airflow and was causing the units to freeze up.

What I did was remove the access to filter and then remove the screws that hold the panel up to the air conditioner unit so that the whole bottom was exposed. Then you can see up in where the duct work was cut for the air to flow on both sides. I reached up into this access and found the cut pieces, be very careful for they are sharp.

On the 5er it was restricted appox. 50% by the cut pieces not being pushed down all the way, on the coach it was appox. the same on both ducts.

I flexed all the cut pieces up and down until they broke off and I removed them. While there I checked to make sure they were flat. I used metal duct tape where needed to seal the unit so air flow could flow properly. Also did as RV Wizard described previously while in there.

Put the panel back on and what a difference it made in both units. It took care of the freeze up problem on both accounts.

Another thing, always run your fan speed on high, it helps to keep air moving properly and also helps to prevent freeze ups across the coils.

Good luck, Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote