Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
blueyndr

Default Where is my automatic transfer switch!

Hey all,
I have a 2007 Gulfstream 280GF bumper pull toy hauler. My 50 amp shore power outlet was wired wrong when I plugged up. Burned up my convection microwave. Had an electrician come out and repair. Now I plug up and with shore power (plugged) I have no power/electricity. When I fire up the generator everything works but not the shore power. From my research it seems it may be the automatic transfer switch? I can't find anything that looks like this. Where the shore power comes on the drivers side it goes up into the walls, then comes out in the area beneath the fridge and behind the breaker box on the passenger side if that makes sense. In this compartment you can see all the power wires coming in, along with the converter but no transfer switch.
Any ideas? Oh, looks like the gen power cables come in beneath the master bedroom in the front of the toy hauler but you can't access that area to view.
Thanks
blueyndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Where is my automatic transfer switch!

I don't know much about the layout of trailers, but in most motor homes made by GS the automatic transfer switch is located beneath the bed platform. From what you described, I would bet that's where you'll find it.

On our coach, the bed platform is a sheet of hinged plywood. You remove the mattress, and lift the plywood. I have to prop mine open with a broom stick, but some have pneumatic pistons to hold the platform up. If it's under there, the transfer switch will be screwed onto the floor.

Click these links for images of transfer switches for reference.
http://en.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M11754/s2.pl
https://www.google.com/search?q=image+f ... 00&bih=485

From talking with other GS owners, it seems that Iota was the most commonly used brand.

Once you find it...and forgive me if you already know the following procedure...If you remove the cover of the transfer switch, you can see where the lines come from the outside and into the box. You can take a 110v tester and test the terminals (which should be labeled) to check for power.

If your unit has an inverter you should have three sets of terminals in the box with three sets of wires coming into the box. A set for the shore power(powercord), a set for the generator and a set for the inverter(control panel). Unplug the shore power and make sure the inverter is off (if you have one). Test the terminals and you should get no readings.

Next, turn on the generator, which you say is working properly. Test the "line in" (bottom row of terminals where the lines come into the box) and then test the corresponding "line out" (upper row of terminals). You should get a positive reading on both. Then turn off the generator and plug the shore power back in and test those terminals. If you have one, do the same test for the inverter (unplug shore power and turn on inverter).

If your transfer switch is bad, you will get a positive reading on the line coming in, but nothing on the corresponding terminal going out. If you don't get a positive reading on the line coming in, then you have a wiring problem.

It would not be that unusual for the transfer switch to be bad and it is easy to change...been there - done that - twice!