Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Flower

Default Back Up Cameras

Are back up cameras important? Those who have them do you find them worth having?
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Are back up cameras important? Those who have them do you find them worth having?
Very important. Any vehicle where you can't see behind it with the review mirror should have a back up camera.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Carnac

I would say critical only if you tow or ever plan to back up.
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Texas Shriner

Cameras are VERY important. Audio is A+++
Texas Shriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Mebryant

Back up cameras save lives! Seeing a child on a bike before you back out...agree sound is added safety.
Mebryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
jamesham

Default Yes to the backup camera

I backed into a high curb and cracked the plastic rear bumper the very first day I owned my GS motorhome. I added a backup camera that first week to stop such a stupid event from happening again. Over 20 years as camera technology has improved and prices have fallen, I have upgraded and replaced cameras serveral times. Current setup has a camera mounted high on the top rear by the clearance lights. Another on the rear mounted on license plate frame low for backing to a trailer. Either allow me to confirm that the toad is still back there when sailing down the road. The front screen has capacity for two more cameras to be added this summer...one on each side. Overkill? Maybe. Some folks have also added exterior cameras (such as Ring doorbell camera) but I have not yet felt that need when I can simply look outside thru the windows.
jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Northof49

Hi, Every year, thousands of children are killed or seriously injured because a driver backing up didn’t see them. A backover incident typically takes place when a car is backing out of a driveway or parking space.
If you do not have a backup camera especially in a Motorhome, you are playing Russian Rollette. If you play Russian Rollette long enough, it will GET YOU and unfortunately may get an innocent (little?) person.
Information source:
https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids...urt/backovers/
When I purchased my GS coach, I was not happy with the quality of the backup camera and replaced it with not only a backup camera but two additional cameras that mount on the front corner of the coach to give me a view of the side before doing a lane change. Good Visibility is essential in driving and moreso when driving a coach.
Best regards
Northof49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
bse12854

Back up cameras are not only for backing up. Mine is on always with a 30 footer it is the best. Even in forward motion I can still see what’s in back of me.
bse12854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

EXTREMELY important for not only backing, but lane changes. I had passenger MIRRORS decide to go WACKY on curving mountain downside in HEAVY TRAFFIC IN THE RAIN/ WIND when in the left lane, trying to get to right lane; trucks honking, BLIND and CAMERA GOES OUT; TALK ABOUT PUCKER POWER? FEELING LUCKY TO BE ALIVE TODAY
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Flower

Thank you for the replies, we did buy a camera and mounted it, but have not gone camping yet with it. We look forward to using it next time we go camping, feel safer already.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
PopPopK

I also run back up cameras. They saved me big $$$$ when backing into a site with big trees, I almost caved the rear end in if it weren't for the cameras. I placed the antenna on top of the air conditioner so it had an unobstructed line to the cab. the were reasonable and they are colored too.
PopPopK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:51 AM   #12
BryanTittle

Default Back Up Camera?

Yes a backup camera is advantageous and an increased safety factor, however a person watching for you is even better. Since most of us don't travel alone, using a back up person for an extra set of eyes is the best tool you can use. Always assure you have visual contact with that person and if you can't see them, stop until you do. 74' long tractor trailers travel and back every day without cameras, but when in doubt the driver will ask someone (preferably another driver) to be their extra set of eyes. Another key tool is G.O.A.L. Get Out And Look before you back!

G.O.A.L., Use your mirrors, a back up person, and a camera and you will be a much happier camper.
BryanTittle is offline   Reply With Quote