Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream | Tech > A/V Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
PaddlePAT

Default Where does this wire go?

My TV reception using the antenna is garbage. Remembering how the speaker wire weren't connected to my radio, I decided to take a look at the TV connections and found a black wire that isn't connected to anything. It's stripped, but just hanging there.
What is the wire supposed to connect to?
Thanks.

PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #2
Chuck v

Pat,

We will probably need a picture of the wire -- is it a single conductor low voltage wire, a coaxial cable wire, or something else? Showing the stripped end will also be helpful, as would the potential connection places within reach of the wire, such as the connections on the entertainment appliance, etc.

Better information and fully documented questions result in more accurate answers...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:25 AM   #3
PaddlePAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Pat,

We will probably need a picture of the wire -- is it a single conductor low voltage wire, a coaxial cable wire, or something else? Showing the stripped end will also be helpful, as would the potential connection places within reach of the wire, such as the connections on the entertainment appliance, etc.

Better information and fully documented questions result in more accurate answers...

Chuck
Is the photo not visible?

Small blue-sheathed wire contains a small black wire and a small red wire. The black wire is hanging free, while the red wire goes into a wire nut.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #4
Chuck v

The picture does not show on my screen, even after multiple refreshes... It is useful information to know that this is part of a pair of signal wires, thanks for that. Do you know where the red wire that is connected goes?

OK, Got the image to be viewable now. The black wire MAY be a ground -- from the look of it it was at one time wire nutted to another source/wire. Look for something behind that cutout...

Chuck

Old 06-14-2023, 12:23 PM   #5
PaddlePAT

I'd love to see what's behind the cutout, but don't have enough slack in the wiring to pull the cover plate out any more. It would have been nice if the installer had made even the smallest bit more effort to cut the hole bigger.

Thanks for your help. Do you know if a wiring diagram is available anywhere?
Old 06-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
Chuck v

I have an older diagram that was somewhat useful for my 2007 Tour Master DP Coach -- It may or may not be helpful to you...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AV system diagram GS coaches 2006.jpg (123.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-15-2023, 04:19 PM   #7
Silversliver

Default Where does it go?

I would take a look at the other end of the other two black and white wires. Since you have two going to the wire nut with the red (normally power or positive for speakers) I'd almost bet that if you look up at the end of the other two black and whites, they are wire nutted and waiting for the black one to join them. It's just a guess, but it follows must logical automotive wiring practices.

Is there anything not working? Like speaker systems or such?
Silversliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:58 PM   #8
Chuck v

Another thing to try is to feel behind the cutout where the two white wires and the small gauge black with red stripe wire all disappear...there may be another wire nut there from which the loose black wire has come out. Let us know what you find...

In the RV wiring, white is often used as a color code for ground/return, just like white is used in household wiring for the neutral/low side of circuit.

Chuck

Old 06-25-2023, 10:00 AM   #9
RayHarkness

my guess is its a ground wire. if it isn't grounded..thats why your reception is terrible, that booster isn't working properly, and in fact, it is screwing it up
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #10
RY469

In the RV world, black wires are 12VDC. I see from your picture that you do not have 12V connected to the little circuit board for your antenna amplifier. The two blade terminal connections on the little circuit board NEED 12VDC (power and ground - ground is the white wire) connected to provide power the amplifier in your antenna (It "injects" through the coax to your antenna). Without this your reception will be as you say "crap." If you have and can use a multimeter, check that black wire for power . . . It very well be the missing 12V you need.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #11
Chuck v

Rich,

I agree that the Romex cabling in coaches conventionally use black as the supply voltage and white as the return/ground. However, the little blue cable with the shrink wrapped sleeve end and the red and black wire pair is not going to comply with that convention -- rather it appears to be a part of the amplifier electronics assembly where the red is the supply voltage and the black is the return.

You might use an ohm meter to verify that the black lead is connected to the outer barrel of the coax connectors, and that it does not change as the power switch for the TV amplifier gets turned on and off...as this would confirm it is a ground.

Chuck

Old 06-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #12
RY469

The main point is that in the original picture, there is no power connected to the board. This board is the insertion for power to the amplifier in the antenna. Until (he) gets power applied, it won't work.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #13
Chuck v

I fully agree that this is due to a lack of power to the amplifier module -- our discussion is only about if the power absence is ground or source related...otherwise we are in agreement!
Chuck