Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
ummalterman

Default Newbie from England:

Hi! everyone, Greetings from NW England! Just bought our first RV after many years of dreaming & scheming, 1998 Sunvoyager 32' Cummins 5.9, no slide, lots of toys fitted. Happy to find this great forum. Yet to collect the rig and crawl over it! ........ I have a couple of questions (already!)-

Firstly, is there anyone else from the UK registered on this forum?

Secondly, I have thoroughly and dilligently investigated the use of WVO/Biodiesel in Cummins engines, due to the very high cost of diesel here in the UK, with info from a lot of US sources yet I can't find any references to, or users of this on this GSO forum.

I can only assume it's because diesel is so cheap in the US? This is not considering the green/environmental issues involved of course. Has anyone any information on the use of these alternatives in DP RV's?

Thanks in anticipation. Tom Ashworth
Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Curt Krueger

Default Bio Diesel

Welcome to our GS forum. I have a Crescendo DP I do not have any experience with the bio diesel but I can tell you to go to the search at the top of the page here and enter in Bio Diesel as two words and you will get 145 posts with the words bio diesel. If you put in the same words without a break you will get 2 posts, yours and one more.

Good Luck and be safe out there

Curt
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
ummalterman

Wow! that was quick. Thanks Curt, had a look as you suggested, I had previously tried 'biodiesel' and got nothing...however, there still doesn't seem to be any posts specifically related to either bio or Veg.oil. Ho hum.

The guy that sold the rig reckons he gets between 12-15 mpg at around 56mph. (truck/lorry speed on our motorways-and that's Imperial gallons, which is x 1.2 US) anybody think that's resonable for a 5.9 Cummins?
Diesel here is about $7.80 per gallon. Giddy up.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
tucson_sailors

Default GS Owners in the UK, and nearby

Got one fellow on the boards out in the Irish Republic with a Sun Voyager, haven't seen anybody else post. Can't imagine there are too many of the large american style caravans over in the UK, you should enjoy turning heads wherever you go!

Glenn in Tucson, AZ USA
Expat NI - born in Co. Antrim
tucson_sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
ummalterman

Default UK members/Biodiesel/WVO in Cummins

Hi! Glenn, thanks for the response. I'm really surprised there's nobody else from the UK on board. As you may know, there's quite a surprising amount of USRV's here but it is weird in that, no, you don't see many up & down and when we do, it's because we're looking out for 'em. Yet, when you attend the six or seven "Motorhome" shows/rallies there are per year, there seem to be thousands!! Where do they all go to? Within 30 minutes, or five miles of any show ending, there's none to be seen. X-files!

I've just found a biodiesel outlet yesterday that's selling it, to the proper spec. EN 414 or whatever it is, for 60p. per litre...that's a saving of ?2.04 ($3.26) per gallon!! (It's about $7.70 per gallon normally) I'll be filling my tiny Citroen van with 100% and weaning the Cummins onto it soon, 20% bio to start then after a couple of fuel filter changes, up to 100%...Then, set up a two-tank (heated) system to start using WVO from local chippies/restaurants, this will cost me virtually nothing, just a mess with the collecting/filtering palaver! [BTW- WVO= Waste Veg Oil].

I'm pretty sure this Bio man won't last, not selling it that cheap, my existing Bio source round the corner is charging 95p per litre now, so I know where I'll be going!. I guess it's always sunny where you live now, Glenn? No wonder we British are such miseries, it's ALWAYS raining, cold & grey here. Sorry for rambling on, folks, but it is the "Chit-Chat" zone.

If anyone reading this knows of anyone registered from the UK, or has info about Biodiesel/WVO in Cummins engines, please get in touch.

Many thanks to the moderators/guy who started this forum originally, it's re-assuring to have some contact with experts/users in the US. Cheers.
Tom.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Timothy

Hi and welcome!
Check the memberlist at the top of the page, I didn't go through all the pages but on the first 2 there are a couple of members from the UK.
Good luck with your new rig!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
justlizz

Hi I am in the UK not posted for about a year due to computer crash and lost everything but now up and running again thanks to Tim who emailed me to jog my bad memory and get back on again
lizz
Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
ummalterman

Default UK members

Thanks for the responses, Timothy & Lizz. (I've sent a pm to you Lizz)
Happy travels everyone!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Timothy

Great to see you back Lizz! Hope everything is good with your Amerilite, I know you had posted about some water damage awhile back.

Tim
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
wynthesurfer

Hi all
I`m another from the UK,just bought my 2nd RV a Sunsport 27`1992 done 33k.
Only had this one for 3 weeks and it had been stored for 3 years so doing little jobs on it to get it up to scratch "ripped my hands to bits changing the shower taps" although have been away in it on 2 occasions with my 12 year old son who has named it Harvey.
I will be using it almost every weekend and would love to get an answer on how much MPG I should get out of a 6.2 Diesel "the person I got it off said 30 !!! "
This is a great forum and hope to get some help off you all in the land that made it !

Regards Wyn
wynthesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote