Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Wildblue

Default Advice on getting ACE ride upgrade

So I'm in the process of buying a 37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365. There is just under 14,000 miles on the RV. I've read the very postive posts here about adding the ACE air bags to similar vehicles. I assume that the same bags would also be designed for the RV that I'm working with. I could use some advice.

I live in Alaska, and will be picking up the RV in Alabama (hey... it's alphabetically next to Alaska) after a year long deployment to Iraq, and doing a mega family cross-continent trip back home to the Anchorage area. In general, I'm interested in advice that people would have, about things to do before the trip, and things to consider buying/modifying while in the lower 48. We have a GS dealer in Anchorage, and International Truck service locations in Anchorage and Fairbanks. But of course, things cost more up there, especially oversized items with shipping, and some is just flat not available.

Specifically, one thing I'm very curious about is if you guys would recommend doing the ACE airbag upgrade while I'm down in the lower 48 before the trip. On one hand, several users here highly recommend the upgrade and say it's worth it, and now would be a great time to even have it done by a dealer that has done it for others. If it really were to make a huge difference, it definitely could come in handy on a 4,800 mile drive, too. On the other hand, since I'm not familiar with the RV yet, we don't know quite how this specific unit rides, to what degree it also experiences a rough ride on the suspension, and exactly how worth it the upgrades would be for us. I would hate to make a "blind purchase" of airbag upgrades, only to discover that we really didn't even need to spend the money!

Here's the two posts I found that seem most pertinent on the ACE:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2722
viewtopic.php?t=1866&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0

I'm understanding that the ACE installation costs total just over $5,000. For my route, I could potentially go through Dallas and ask if the same place that did TC's installation could do mine. I think the other installations I saw people had done were in California, VA, and MD, which wouldn't work for me. Or has anybody else in the central USA had it done at a different dealership? (or would location not really matter, and I could do it anywhere anyway? We'll be stopping in Denver for a couple days anyway, if a service location there might be an acceptable option)

Thanks in advance,

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Texas TC

Default Re: Advice on getting ACE ride upgrade

I, of course, highly recommend Southwest International who did my installation. You can contact Aaron Redmond about installation at 214-689-1400. You might also consider calling American Carrier Equipment directly, they can be contacted at:

American Carrier Equipment (ACE)
2285 E. Date
Fresno, CA 93706
800.344.2174 Tel
[email protected]

Good luck!

TxTC

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Georunner

Default Re: Advice on getting ACE ride upgrade

My guess would be that mechanically, your RV should be fine, most faults would have been found out by now. A couple of things I would check for sure would be, the fuse on top of the batteries, (carry a spare) and I would look carefully at your tires. 14,000 miles will not show much wear, but check the manufacture date. You can't carry a spare tire, and even if you could, changing a tire on this thing would be very difficult to do, they weigh over 200 lbs. It is not like the "old" days on the highway to Alaska, there are places to get help, but a blow out on a tire anywhere up there would not be good. (Welcome home -- I was in the first forray into Iraq -- and thanks for serving)
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote