Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Wildblue

Default New GS member saying hi

Hello--I'm new to the RV world. I've wanted one for at least 15 years, but never could justify the cost as being practical. Well, I'm currently finishing a year military deployment to Iraq, my girls are growing up, and my wife and I just decided that we need to enjoy life while we can. Yes, for all I know, we might be rich and financially secure 10 years from now, but our girls will be much older, and very well may not want to go camping with mom and dad then. So, above all, we're looking at an RV purchase not as a material acquisition, but intended to be an enabler for quality family time.

So we're in the process of buying a 37' 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/VT365 engine that I found. 13,800 miles. I actually don't think I've come across anybody else here, on RVNet, or IRV2 that has this particular model. I don't know if I should be concerned by that, or enjoy that I might have a rare unit? We really like this model so far. We should be picking it up in June, and then driving it as a family cross-continent back to our home in Alaska. It'll give us time to get reacquainted with each other after being apart for a year, and get me refamiliar with my own country. Will be making a couple stops along the way to see family or cross more vacation spots off our list. (i.e. Calgary/Banff)

Would love to hear input, experience, and advice from other users. Has this model experienced problems others have, with the "turbo fart", leaking seals, etc? Indications so far are that the particular unit we're acquiring has NOT had those things. We're having it thoroughly inspected, bumper to bumper as part of the purchase, comes with a warranty, and will be setting up a support network for the trip up to Alaska. However, it's a pretty long stretch from Calgary/Edmonton to Anchorage without International/GS service locations.

I would also be curious to hear if there's anything people would recommend "you really should consider XXXXX as a modification/purchase", as we'll be more limited in access to certain things in Alaska, and it might be better to have certain work done or purchase items while we're in the lower 48 before going up north.

Hello, all.

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Timothy

Default Re: New GS member saying hi

Hi Chris, I can't answer your questions about the Conquest but I want to welcome you to the forum and thank you for your service! Gulf Stream is a small company compared to the likes of Keystone, Thor, Jayco Etc. so sometimes its harder to find information on a given model. I hope you find the answers your looking for and enjoy camping with your family.
Once again welcome aboard!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
03heritagerider

Chris,

Welcome home and thank you for your service and your sacrifices.

You are doing the right thing. I wish we started RVing at your age instead of waiting for retirement. Even though we retired in our 40's, the kids were grown and otherwise unavailable to travel with us.

As far as info on RVing, you have come to the right place. Even if nobody else has your model, which I doubt, they are all similar enough for you to get really good advice from this forum. This is the best source for info on the internet. Regardless of the issue, question or problem, someone will help you figure it out or point you to who can.

I've learned more from this site and surprised myself on the things I've been able to fix on my own, than I ever could have imagined.

Good luck, enjoy the country and enjoy your family. You'll be giving your girls something money can not buy...prescoius memories.

See you on the road!

P.S. If the girls are old enough, get them to keep a travel log. If they are not, keep one for them.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
dixieray53

Welcome to the group..
2009 Crescendo Trio C40K w/ 2010 Ford Flex
Towed four down....
dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Marvin

Thanks for your service so we may enjoy the freedom to camp.

When our son Chris was little we bought an old pickup camper and did a lot of camping, we then bought a travel trailer and camped some more. We decided we needed a boat for fishing so we sold the trailer and bought another pickup camper and pulled the boat behind. Having the pickup camper was handy in the winter also when we would go ice fishing. I would start the furnace in the camper so the wife could do crafts while we fished and when we got cold or hungry we just stepped into the camper.

It's been just about 30 years since he left home but he still remembers and talks about the fun we had. Money was scarce but it was money well spent. I will bet you will look back 30 years from now and say the same thing. Enjoy the girls while you can.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote