Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
krwarbington

Default Kingsport Lite Winterizing

We recently purchased a used 2008 Kingsport lite and there are 2 water lines that are hanging at the rear of the trailer near the black/gray water valves. These are not covered in the owners manual. Does any one know what these are for and is there a valve to drain the water from the fresh water tank.
krwarbington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Hippy

Default Re: Kingsport Lite Winterizing

sounds like the low point drains, remove the screw on caps, and let water drain out. should b one blue, one red line. open taps inside to let water drain fully. good luck.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
anoldman

If you're trying to winterize your camper there's more to it than just opening those two drain lines. You also need to open all the faucets and be sure to fully drain the fresh water tank and hot water heater. You need to be sure all of the water is out of the lines, pump, etc. I blow out my water lines with 40 psi air pressure but you may want to pump RV antifreeze through them instead. If you do that you'll need a water heater bypass valve so you don't waste 6 gallons filling the tank. Pour RV antifreeze or winter winshield washing fluid (cheaper) in all the sink and tub traps and commode.

I also shut off the propane and power, open the refrigerator doors, and disconnect the battery while it is stored, but that is optional of course. Happy camping!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
mudman1959

I just finished winterizing my Gulfstream Amerilite 21Mb. I opted to blow the water out of the lines and add the antifreeze to the drains but next year I hope to have the water heater bypass installed along with the antifreeze pickup tube at the pump. It has the roof tarped and I lifted it off the ground and put jack stands under the axles so that the tires are off of the ground, I Armor All'd them and bagged them to keep them from dry rotting. I need to put something in the trailer to keep the mice away, someone said to try dryer sheets. Old Man Winter is just around the corner here in Michigan... So until next spring... Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
VAGeneric

I appreciate your thoughts as I'm new to this forum. We bought a 2010 Kingsport 23RBS this year, thus my first winterizing. I do not have access to an air compressor, thus cannot blow out the water lines. Reading your suggestions, I'll install a water heater bypass kit and a pump converter to pump antifreeze after the water lines are drained.

I have not looked for the fresh water tank drain. I'd appreciate if you could tell me what it looks like, or where to find it (under tank, side of tank, on adjacent pipe, etc). The manual mentions it, but doesn't say where it is. Ditto with the pipe drains. From what I've read here, I'll look to the back for the low pipe drains.

As for replacing the water heater anode, do you know what brand/manufacturer for the water heater? Camping World and Amazon mention two different brands. I'm assuming the water heater drain is where the anode is, thus this is a good time to replace it. Any tricks for draining the water heater without a mess? Should I be concerned with flushing sediment out of the water heater at this time, or should that be done in the spring? I'm understanding the goal is to have the lines full of the pink RV antifreeze, some antifreeze in the p-traps, the three tanks are empty and the fresh water tank's drain is open (and drain and bypass the water heater). I understand antifreeze is a waste in the water heater and fresh water tank, but a little is helpful in the gray and black water tanks.

thanks for your comments.
VAGeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Hippy

well thats a lot of questions, i can help u with some answers, im sure others fill fill in what i dont know. water heater anode will depend on make of heater, prob suburban, atwood is another popular brand. i find opening low point drains, then inside taps drains the heater for between trips. as for bypass both my 2011, and 2012 kingsport have had them from factory so u may have it already. as for pump kit i dont mess with that. simply pour antifreeze into fresh tank ( after draining of course) and turn on pump and bleed out thru taps. dont forget shower,outside city water connection ( push in valve under screen till antifreeze comes out) and toilet flush as well. i f u are worried about the two dollars of antifreeze left in tank, put container under drain and drain the rest out for next yr. the fresh drain will prob be at the end of tank at lowest point ( if yuor underbelly is exposed) or pipe with inline valve hanging thru covering if enclosed underbelly. hope this helps