Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
ezdriver

Default TV Mounting

As many motorhomes do, my BT Cruiser has the tv mounted high in the front center, in the space where the cabover bed would have been.
First problem is my neck gets sore watching anything over half an hour. Second problem is the crt tv will no longer receive broadcasts in about a year.
Therefore, I plan on replacing it with a LCD tv, probably about 26".
In doing so, I would like to devise a mount for it that will allow it to be stored, and viewed, in the current location of the old tv, but will allow it to slide out , then down 12 to 14 inches for comfortable viewing.
There are many commercial LCD tv mounts available to allow it to pivot out, but none to then lower it.
Have any of you done an installation like this, or have ideas on how to devise a mount for it?
Thanks in advance.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
mfa

First off, there will be conversion boxes available (subsidized by the government) that you can install to convert the signal for your current TV. If you don't want that, make sure any LCD TV you buy has a digital tuner, otherwise you'll be in the same boat.

As to your mounting question, I saw one guy did an installation where he used a hinge line mounted along the top of the LCD TV. It stores flipped upside down with the back of the unit facing out. He flips it 180-degrees down to use it.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
ezdriver

Yes, I heard that you can get a voucher for buying a TV converter box. So that means the gov't will pay us to watch TV!
I guess I missed that constitutional amendment where the gov't has the obligation to provide citizens with a TV. (OK, I'm finished with the sarcasm now).

Anyway, thanks for the hinge mounting suggestion. I had not considered that, and it might be a quick easy solution.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
rdlamb

Hi:
Next year is when all non-digital TV's, no matter what type they are, will no longer be able to receive the new signals.
There are CRT TV's that will receive the digital signal. Actually a Consumer magazine that I subscribe to rates the CRT as the best picture, even above LCDs.
I saw a multiply adjustable stand for a LCD TV at a "home show" in Portland OR. I think you can google that question and get some ideas.
Safe travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote