Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Texas TC

Default SuperNova Air Horns and Running Lights

I just finished installing an air horn on my SuperNova. I attached it to the backside of the bracket that holds the ACE air compressor. While I was at it, I installed a set of running lights in the openings on the bumper. I had noticed there was a notch their and the lights bolted up perfectly. I got the horn through Amazon, the wiring, switches, and running lights at Walmart and the air hose and fittings from Southwest International. Without counting my labor, the entire project cost less than $175.00. It was a fun way to spend late Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. I cannot wait to be able to blow the air horns on the freeway when the kids give me the air horn pull signal. I have always hated to disappoint them when they would so furiously pull that imaginary lanyard in the air from the backseat of a minivan.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Nanaeve

Default running lights

I've noticed a set of wires in the opening right under the center grill,are these the power source? Also, when you say "running lights' are you refering to fog or driving lights ?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Texas TC

I got the driving lights. I did not use the wires that are supplied, I ran my own wires since I was already wiring for the air horn. I ran a hot/10 amp fused 12v wire to a location under the dash for the horn so I piggybacked off that line for the power source for the driving lights. I also added matching toggle switches for the horn and lights in the blank spot just to the right of the steering wheel opposite our existing light switches. I got to check them out last night and they are plenty BRIGHT for a cheap set of lights. They only cost about 18 bucks. I thought I would mount them and supply all the wiring. If they only last a year or two, I can easily change them out for some KC or other brand lights by just mounting them in the slots provided and hook up the power from the lines I ran.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
kart74

Hey Texas TC, how much would you charge to come to Michigan I bet you could put that ACE system on for me too!
kart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Texas TC

As much as I would enjoy coming to Michigan for a visit, installation of the air suspension system is a bit above my "current" abilities. When I was younger, I probably would have tried to accomplish the task, but, those days are long gone.

(How does that song go? "I'm not good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was." Does not apply here).

Keep researching, you will find someone to install that system for you.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
kart74

LOL, I resemble that!
kart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Texas TC

I finally got around to taking pictures of the horn and lights installation. Here they are:

(Please disregard the reflection of my knees and feet! A real photographer would have found a better angle to take the picture, my bad!)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
nailerman

Hey TC, it looks good. I wish I could find a corded switch for my air horn valve so I could have the lanyard in the cab for the horn. Don't really want to run air lines that far. Any ideas?
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
dsomonster

Looks Good Texas TC!

I can't wait for a quote for installation of the ACE unit so I can order the system and have it drop shipped to someone.

I want an air horn too!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Texas TC

Hey nailerman,

Good to hear from you buddy. I too would like to have a lanyard but have not found a suitable electrical switch to attach a cable to. Like you, I don't particularly want to run that much air line to get the trucker air valve style lanyard set-up.

If you find one, keep us posted.

TxTC

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
nailerman

Do those Walmart Driving lights help? I would hook them up like you did so I can flash the truckers when they are clear when passing. MY computer controlled head lights won't allow it. Plus they will increase my seeing power. Am installing new ultra head light bulbs because they are really good at night.

And to add, we are loving the ACE Air Ride. It is just great.

I did have a time with my Hornblaster TRain Horns with getting them all in sync and working together. My cure was to redo the plumbing and change the lengths of tubing on the higher horns. Works great now and boy are they fun. Trying to put a set in my Nissan Murano as well.

Keep in touch. My email is [email protected].
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Texas TC

The Wal-mart lights work pretty well. They were "cost effective" enough to give them a try. I will probably move up to some KC's or equivalent in the future because I don't know if those little plastic housings will last very long. So far so good though.

They would work fine for flashing at the truckers.

TxTC