Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Stu

Default Child Car Seats

I live Ontario Canada and plan on traveling across the US from Michigan to Washington State in a Class A motorhome in Late April early May 2011. I will be traveling with my wife, daughter and 2 grand kids aged 8 months and 2years 8 months. My question is, what are the requirements for child car seats in a motorhome and position of travel ie: front facing or side facing. Would these regulations be federal or state laws. There are seat belt positions in the motorhome to accomodate the five of us but what I need to know are the laws concerning car seats for chrilden.

Thank you
Stu

2003 GulfStream, Sun Voyager
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
dixieray53

Default Re: Child Car Seats

We traveled with our 18m old granddaughter. We use a car seat in the MH regardless of the laws. Just make sure the seat belts are factory installed. And never put a child seat in the front passenger seat. Good Luck and enjoy your travels....D
2009 Crescendo Trio C40K w/ 2010 Ford Flex
Towed four down....
dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
03heritagerider

Default Re: Child Car Seats

Child safety seat laws are regulated by the states. Here is a state by state list... http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx. However, most are identical.

In our coach, the only seats that have shoulder belts are the captain's chairs in the front. The recliner behind the co-pilot seat will swivel to be rear facing or forward facing. You can place the child seat in either direction. My suggestion is, if you have the option, swivel the chair to face forward and install the child seat facing rearward for the infant. The todler would be probably be safest in a booster seat with the shoulder belt in place.

New government safety standards released last week, suggest that children remain in a rear facing safety seat until the age of two years. Here is info from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.gov/ChildSafety/step2.

If you don't have enough belts, you may have to put Mom and Grandma in bubble wrap