Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Jim_PEI

Default Out of Storage - Year 2

Took the motorhome out of storage today, to begin preparations for year two of camping. Our park on PEI opens May 20, so still a few weeks to go. Only 5 1/2 months to retirement, and after a quick month of October to visit the kids and grandsons, will be off to our first winter in Zephyrhills, Florida. Can't wait, as we just spent two weeks down there and love the 80 degree weather.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Luckiest Dreamer

Default Re: Out of Storage - Year 2

One of the problems with retirement is much of what one needs to be to do it is to just be OLD.
We spent much of last winter in South Florida as well. One of the things you soon learn is that Florida can get cold. 80 degree days are a heck of a lot more common than it is in Canada or Iowa in winter time but where you are going will get below freezing at times. Staying in Fort Myers within a few miles of the gulf will get you warmer temps during the cold times than it will in the park you are going.
I am not saying that to try to convince you to go further south or to distract you from your choice but to offer a suggestion. Spend a month each at several parks and locations early in your retirement. The variety will give you something of a choice where you may want to go when you get old!
We will be spending next season in South Texas. San Diego was a nice spot, so was several parks in AZ. I guess that is why they make these things with a Motor.
Good luck in your Retirement.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Jim_PEI

Great suggestions, thanks.

A couple thoughts are that we thought to be established for the first year, and move around in the car to look at other places. In addition, from internet research, the cost goes up substantially if we move further south or to the coast. We are certainly learning as we go, and will learn lots about Florida parks once we get down there for our first winter.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Luckiest Dreamer

You are right about the costs going up. Fuel cost for the Toad will be cheaper as well. Florida Parks are not the cheapest!
As they say paradise costs.