Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-31-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
Tonyf

Default SN fan Clutch

Hi, it seems the Horton EC450 fan clutch used on the VT365 is in short supply. I found one and they wanted $1K for it, little pricy. Any know of a suitable less costly replacement? Something that will tone down the fan noise?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
wasupernova6400

Go to finditparts.com, I got one for I think around $400
wasupernova6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupernova6400 View Post
Go to finditparts.com, I got one for I think around $400

Thanks, mine does not have the electric fan, and I did not want to retrofit one. I was able to find a replacement viscous clutch other than the International model, hopefully it will run the fan less often. For reference its KIT MASTERS RV0410100-00 Engine Cooling Fan Clutch. Will install it once it arrives and report back.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
pwerwagn

I got my 450 off ebay, was like 3-400$.

The retrofit was super easy if you go that route. Also, Kit-Masters has a gold top 2 speed fan clutch that should fit that would be even better than the Horton 450. The ~15-25% on all the time would be nice.

--Jeff
Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #5
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
I got my 450 off ebay, was like 3-400$.

The retrofit was super easy if you go that route. Also, Kit-Masters has a gold top 2 speed fan clutch that should fit that would be even better than the Horton 450. The ~15-25% on all the time would be nice.

--Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I did not see the gold model listed when I checked Kit Masters otherwise would have ordered that one. Soon as the weather breaks I’ll get around to installing the one I have, it’s 23 today and that’s down south!
Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyf View Post
Thanks Jeff, I did not see the gold model listed when I checked Kit Masters otherwise would have ordered that one. Soon as the weather breaks I’ll get around to installing the one I have, it’s 23 today and that’s down south!
I didnt realize that clutch existed when I bought the horton, but I wish I knew. The amount of power the fan draws is insane. BUT, in the summer, I need just a little more airflow, especially with the AC on. I end up just keeping the fan on a lot of the time manually.

*If* you still have issues with your viscous clutch not disengaging, check your radiator. Those crossflow IH radiators are known to get plugged up in the top section, and the air flow thru that section is cooler air. The warm air is what the fan clutch needs to operate properly. On top of that, since a large portion of the air thru the fan flows thru the Intercooler alone and not thru the radiator, it sorta makes the fan clutch operation inconsistent I found.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
Tonyf

Installed the Kit Master fan drive today. Its noticeably quieter, especially at 35 degrees -- our high. The old drive was leaking fluid as well. So, calling this done!

Will clean the radiator fins when I change the coolant, sometime this spring.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
pwerwagn

Awesome! Glad you got some improvement out of it.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:31 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Check for electric fan conversion kit?
Old 02-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Check for electric fan conversion kit?

I looked into this. There is a company that has a fan that would work, was like 2200$ and draws something like 68amps at full load.

I also looked into building my own shroud and running 2-3 2 speed taurus fans. They will move enough air. It would be ideal to have a fan pulling thru the CAC all the time and radiator only when needed. The packaging and current draw of this makes it not super ideal for our small-ish alternators on the VT365. If we had the dual alternator's like some of the 6.0's/ambulances have, or at least a 200+ amp alt it might be perfect.

I tried an electric pusher fan in front of the AC condenser, hoping it was enough for 90% of the time, but it wasnt. It worked ok until the temps got over 90*, and then it didnt seem to do anything.

I still think the kitmaster 2 speed is the ideal setup, but the EC450 horton is definitely an improvement over the stock viscous setup. Perhaps a bigger electric pusher with the 450 would be a solid option too.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #11
Tonyf

Still was not happy with the noise from the fan, so found an electric Horton unit on eBay and replaced the Kit Master clutch.

1- 996136 HORTON EC450 FAN CLUTCH INTERNATIONAL 3000 4200 VT365 3549300C2
1- Flex-A-Lite Compact Adjustable Electric Fan Controller and Relay Kit with Push-In Probe 33094

It's wired into an aftermarket thermostat, set to come on at about 200 degrees and it's also wired to the AC compressor clutch so the fan comes on when the ac clutch kicks in, which is all the time down here in the South. Haven't driven it yet, but with the fan off at idle there is a huge difference in the amount of noise.

I wanted to bypass the AC clutch or pressure switch (996033), but it only took a few seconds for the ac to over pressurize and cut itself off with no air flow at idle. I have the Navistar pressure switch to install in the high-pressure ac line but haven't yet found an adapter to make it work. So it will do for now.

The Horton unit I received was new-old stock, supposedly. But the diode was bad, so I had to cut into the wiring harness and replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan wiring Aug 22.jpg (38.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7219.JPG (319.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (12.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500 (1).jpg (13.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #12
pwerwagn

It is amazing the difference it makes in power. When climbing a hill with it off, you turn it on and you will lose like 5mph almost immediately.

Mine is setup for on at 200 and off at ~187ish. I wired mine so that the relay triggers it anytime the AC is turned on, regardless of the refrigerant pressure. I also wired in a manual switch so I can use it as a brake on long grades. It makes a huge difference if you downshift and engage the fan.

I wish I had more airflow without the fan in the summers. When I'm towing and its hot (75% of the use), the fan is on most of the time.

Also, in your picture, not sure if you were finished with the install or if yours went in different than mine, but you can bolt the bracket to that stand off there on the drivers side of the engine. IIRC it was a 3/8-16 bolt and it fits there perfectly.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #13
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
It is amazing the difference it makes in power. When climbing a hill with it off, you turn it on and you will lose like 5mph almost immediately.

Mine is setup for on at 200 and off at ~187ish. I wired mine so that the relay triggers it anytime the AC is turned on, regardless of the refrigerant pressure. I also wired in a manual switch so I can use it as a brake on long grades. It makes a huge difference if you downshift and engage the fan.

I wish I had more airflow without the fan in the summers. When I'm towing and its hot (75% of the use), the fan is on most of the time.

Also, in your picture, not sure if you were finished with the install or if yours went in different than mine, but you can bolt the bracket to that stand off there on the drivers side of the engine. IIRC it was a 3/8-16 bolt and it fits there perfectly.
I kinda followed the instructions when I installed it, the anti-rotation strap is on the right boss, with the wiring bracket about straight up. Seems to work fine.

I was looking for some additional noise reduction, I insulated the cab with e-dead and some other foam backed stuff, it made a big difference. The fan clutch was my last shot at reducing more of the racket, just have to live with it from here on.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #14
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyf View Post
I kinda followed the instructions when I installed it, the anti-rotation strap is on the right boss, with the wiring bracket about straight up. Seems to work fine.

I was looking for some additional noise reduction, I insulated the cab with e-dead and some other foam backed stuff, it made a big difference. The fan clutch was my last shot at reducing more of the racket, just have to live with it from here on.
Interesting! The instructions for mine had me mount the strap to that other boss on the left! Haha.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:26 PM   #15
Suprnovajeff

Hey there Pwerwagn! Been reading through this post and very interested in a couple things. I as well felt the need to do something about how loud the fan was so I converted to 3 Spal brushless pullers, 1-19” & 2-12” and they pull a ton of air but unfortunately not enough to keep it under 230 when air temps are 85 plus pulling up a steep grade at 35mph. I called kit masters and they couldn’t give me any info on a gold top 2 speed that would work for VT365. You wouldn’t have any info on that would you? The other question, with the EC450 did you run the wire loom they sell for it? It sounds like it integrates and is controlled/powered by the ECU and an AC high pressure switch? PN 3560278C91
Suprnovajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #16
pwerwagn

Hi Jeff!

I’m actually still just running the 450. I talked to a few people at kit masters a while back and they said they had a solution for the 365 at the time, maybe it didn’t work out?

I did not use the harness. I made my own. I have it setup now so it comes on at 210, off at 195 ish. I had it setup at 200/185 and that worked good in temps below 90 ish but above 90 it cycled too much.

I also have a 3 position switch that will keep it off (breaks ground) or force it on. That way if I’m at 208 and nearing the top of a hill at 2800rpm, I can keep it off a bit longer. The forced on is great for downhill braking, makes a noticeable difference.

The cab insulation on mine made a big diff. I did noico butyl and foam on the doghouse, floors, doors etc.

I haven’t messed much with my 365 lately, it’s working ok and we’ve just been using it. In the meantime, I’ve been collecting parts to do a motor/trans swap instead.

Jeff