Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #1
washetas

Smile Friendship doesnt seem to be airing up...

Morning all!!! Just purchased a 2003 gulfstream friendship G7.Trying to get all the wrinkles out before the travel season.When I got it home,dumped the air and activated my leveling jacks.All went well.Have raised my jacks back up,flipped my air switch to automatic.My gauges rise to about 140 and hold but my unit doesnt rise up as I thought it should.Still the rear tires seem to be sitting pretty darn close to wheel wells.Any suggestions.Hope Im just missing something being new to this deisel pusher set up.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I wish you all an amazing day.Peace
washetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Chuck v

I don't think the air ride suspension is supposed to lift if the jacks are down -- as that would negate the leveling you just did. My 2007 Tour Master might be a bit different of course...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
washetas

Default in my post

Chuck! As I stated in my post.I retracted my jacks and switched air to automatic.Thanks for the reply.Peace
Old 01-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
Chuck v

OK, I missed the "retracted jacks" part -- sounds like a valve or control issue then... Try to cycle the ignition switch to reset any logic, then let us know if any change was observed. Can you still cycle the jacks? Maybe there is an interlock someplace.

I realize my 2007 was different -- the air ride was a simple on/off lever near the parking brake valve.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
washetas

Default Hey Chuck

Only aired it up once after raising jacks so I will cycle it out .Just bought the unit and being a retired frieght hauler,Im used to actually feeling my rig rise up as she airs up.Have an appt to have our new rig gone over at the end of February by a great deisel mechanic in our area. Really appreciate this group and you for your advice.Im sure there will be many more questions in the future but hey,maybe not.Maybe the owner I bought it from really wasnt feeding me a line.One can only hope.Thanks again Chuck.Peace
Old 01-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #6
proost

It sounds like you have a stuck valve back there which is very common. Do you hear any hissing back there?
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
gwirth

Have your mechanic tighten the slack adjusters. I know that they are “automatic”, but that doesn’t make them perfect. My mechanic adjusted all of them and now my coach airs up much faster.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:14 PM   #8
racerpro

I have the exact same unit. Where is this air switch you mention. I do not have any switch for automatic or manual. Your switch may be bad tho.
racerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
racerpro

Are you referring to the Auto Leveling? Does the unit raise after starting?
racerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:55 PM   #10
Bike Dr

Hey girth just a heads up, the slack adjusters have absolutely nothing to do with how fast the air builds. That operates solely from the compressors ability to build air. That slacks adjustment are for how far the brake linings are set from the drum and there are a few types of slack adjusters, they push an arm that is an s cam type or wedge that push the brake linings against the drum to create the friction needed to stop your rig. Hope this helps you understand your air brakes a little better. Good luck and thanks for your input!!
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #11
Poor Not Lazy

Did you get it figured?
Poor Not Lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:56 AM   #12
Bike Dr

It sounds to me like it may be airing up and he Is not feeling as he mentioned, my coach does raise very quietly but I do have gauges that indicate the air status of the suspension. Two ways to tell quickly one measure the heights in both positions of the switch and second air it up and look for obvious leans in the coach the way she sits..I have bad hearing so I can't hear leaks I use soapy water to locate leaks if I suspect any..another way to tell is a visual look at the bags to see if they are completely inflated. He mentioned also about feeling it on his rig as a driver and I have also noticed that myself when I aired up mine the first time. I thought the exact same thing, but after investigating the outcome it was a very soft quiet lift and a much nicer ride then most trucks I've driven over the years..so big rigs and class a coaches have similarities but are different animals.if the front is airing and the rear is not you have a stuck proportion valve..
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote