Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-18-2022, 02:15 PM   #1
washetas

Smile Clear coat peeling

Hello all my forum friends.On my new (used) Gulf Stream Friendship I, like many, have some areas where clear coat is peeling exposing fiberglass.I know this is a common question but does anyone have some ideas in just stopping the continuation of the peeling?Cant afford at this time to have professionaly done but would at least like to stop the process.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Good times to all.Peace
washetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
AZ Stroller

Hi Washetas.
I have the same issue on my 2002 Friendship 8362. Until I can afford a complete rehab of the outside, I am sanding each spot with 2000 grit wet sandpaper until the clearcoat edge cannot be felt any more, then expanding the sanding to rough up the good clearcoat around it. Wipe with microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol to remove any bits. Then, spray over the sanded area with a Protective Clear Enamel to prevent more peeling.

You could also use real clearcoat, but that requires mixing and is much more expensive. If you go that route you would probably want to do the paint underneath first, using the automotive color codes and sanding back to unfaded colors. If your peeling is not extensive, this would most likely suffice and you would not have to try to get the entire coach redone. Many videos on YT demonstrating. HTH.
AZ Stroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
washetas

Thanks AZ STROLLER!!! Always appreciate the feedback and quick response.Thanks.Now to wait for this 10 above crap to go away.Peace
Old 01-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
Torch

Find a local body shop supply company that mixes paint, I have a local one that will mix to your paint code and put it in an aerosol spray can.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
washetas

Default Thanks Torch

HeyTorch!! Any tips on finding out the paint code for my model of Gulfstream motor home.Probably a dumb question but us newby,s need a little help now and then.Thank you so much for all your advice.Peace
Old 02-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Torch

When I purchased my 2007 Independence, the original owner kept all the paperwork in the Gulfstream folder. In the folder was the info on the custom body paint with the Paint codes which made it quite easy for me, my base color was an Acura brown called Desert sand. The local body shop supplier will have paint swatches that you could use to try to match your color. The paint supplier I used actually mixed the paint with clear and put it in a 16oz. spray can, mine matched perfect which is hard to believe. Paint Masters in Connellsville, Pa. is who I used.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
washetas

Default Thanks

Will definitely go through my paper work.Tahnk you again brother.Peace
Old 03-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
bertlj

I’m running a 2003 Friendship 8408 and paint info for my rig is on a sticker inside the cabinet above the kitchen sink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9758296B-82C9-4C77-8AA9-FA6565109705.jpg (201.8 KB, 2 views)
bertlj is offline   Reply With Quote