Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-01-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
Scarey

Default Electric power distribution

Hello we are the new owners of a 37k mile 2002 Sun Voyager trio. It has the 8.1 drivetrain on the Workhorse w22 chassis. We have noticed we have some power issues. When plugged into Shore power or not the batteries do not stay charged. When plugged into Shore power everything on the 110 side works fine the inverter is powered up as is the Xanax board above the driver near the visor. Bear with us as the we are new to this situation on this motorhome. We noticed the power and the lights dim in other words when plugged into Shore power it does not sustain the battery power or recharge it. This all changes once the vehicle is started everything is powered up. We have checked all circuit breakers all relays and all fuses I do not understand any help would be great sincerely Scott
Scarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Chuck v

Scott,

Normally the Xantrex inverter is not powered up all the time, as it draws very heavy currents from the batteries to 'invert' that DC source to locally synthesized AC power.

Do you have the manual for your Xantrex inverter?? The manual for my Xantrex is attached below -- you may have a different model...

The Xantrex control panel should show that the inverter batteries are being charged from the shore power (or the generator power) when the inverter is not making AC output on its own -- this would be the normal way to have the batteries maintained. We presume that your coach has a separate battery bank for the inverter versus the other two banks it should have...the "chassis" batteries for starting the engine and running the vehicle accessories (headlights, etc.) and another bank of "house or coach" batteries that operate the interior lighting, the furnace fans, etc. Some smaller coaches combine the house/coach and inverter battery banks, and this would lead to even shorter run times for the inverter...

Usually the house batteries are charged when on shore power by the CONVERTER which is an AC to DC device can also run the lights while charging. I will attach a diagram of my batteries -- the house/coach bank is circled in red, the chassis bank in blue and the inverter bank in green.

When my onboard generator runs, it only charges the inverter bank (and the coach bank if the coach IRD relay is actuated...) Shore power only charges the same two banks, but the engine alternator on the big diesel engine can charge all three banks depending on the state of the IRD relays. Your coach may be very different, so look for documents covering it specifically...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg annotated battery banks.jpg (195.6 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xantrex_Freedom_458_owners_manual.pdf (594.0 KB, 15 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:59 PM   #3
Kevinett

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Scott,

Normally the Xantrex inverter is not powered up all the time, as it draws very heavy currents from the batteries to 'invert' that DC source to locally synthesized AC power.

Do you have the manual for your Xantrex inverter?? The manual for my Xantrex is attached below -- you may have a different model...

The Xantrex control panel should show that the inverter batteries are being charged from the shore power (or the generator power) when the inverter is not making AC output on its own -- this would be the normal way to have the batteries maintained. We presume that your coach has a separate battery bank for the inverter versus the other two banks it should have...the "chassis" batteries for starting the engine and running the vehicle accessories (headlights, etc.) and another bank of "house or coach" batteries that operate the interior lighting, the furnace fans, etc. Some smaller coaches combine the house/coach and inverter battery banks, and this would lead to even shorter run times for the inverter...

Usually the house batteries are charged when on shore power by the CONVERTER which is an AC to DC device can also run the lights while charging. I will attach a diagram of my batteries -- the house/coach bank is circled in red, the chassis bank in blue and the inverter bank in green.

When my onboard generator runs, it only charges the inverter bank (and the coach bank if the coach IRD relay is actuated...) Shore power only charges the same two banks, but the engine alternator on the big diesel engine can charge all three banks depending on the state of the IRD relays. Your coach may be very different, so look for documents covering it specifically...

Chuck

Hi, Chuck... praying you're still active here, as you seem extremely knowledgable. I have a 2000 Gulf Stream Tourmaster Constellation model 8430. I have a 12v mystery, where the lights are either not working or flickering... and alternate status... back to not working, or flickering. In your posted diagram, where would I find the battery bank in the bottom left corner, circled in blue? And where would I find the converter? It isn't under the bed.
Kevinett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:43 AM   #4
Chuck v

Kevin,

Is the lights flickering symptom present for shore power AND when the coach is operating on its internal batteries both? Does using the on-board generator make any difference? These two questions will help determine if the transfer switches are any factor in having input power to the converter, etc.

The blue circled battery bank is the Chassis battery -- this is used to power the vehicle systems like starting the diesel engine, headlights, etc...and not the 'house systems like the interior lights and the like.

The house or "coach" batteries are the set in the upper left corner of the drawing, and should be the ones that are the source of 12 volts to your interior lights, furnace fans, slide outs, and the like.

Both of these battery banks are in the curb side basement compartment just aft of the rear wheels on my coach, but your system may be different, since you have a tag axle.

Not sure how to help you find your converter location -- it should be near the shore power transfer switch and not too far from the house battery bank. Yes, on my coach is was under the bed...but it could be elsewhere of course. It is a small metal box not much different in size from a shoebox, and has both an AC power input cord and large terminals for connecting the DC output to the 12 V system. Some pictures of what you have found so far in your rig may help this discussion...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote