Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
trickto322

Default your 330 Mercedes

How do you like your 330 Mercedes? When we were at the Frieghtliner factory last week (nice tour)we noticed the new Mercedes engine is a 350. They also had 80 Fleetwood coaches that they took the 330 out and put a cummins 350 in, they call them "Re Powered" and give a $10,000 discount. I think the 330 could not make the new standards for 2008. Any thoughts????????
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
trickto322

My 330 performs just fine. On our last trip going through the mountains of North Carolina it bogged down somewhat but in general it was fine. When approching a steep hill if I can get a jump on it I will just glide right over it. Its when you catch a slow moving vehicle that you cannot get around that slows me down. This is our first DP so I think its OK. Just wondering what is the real reason for the engine change in those Fleetwood coaches.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
coolchas11

We took the GS tour this month. The "guide" said that Mercedes engines are no longer put on the Tour Master as they have been unable to meet the environmental regs. But they were fine for the 2007 models and met requirements at that time. Charlie
Old 10-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
trickto322

Thanks Charlie. How was the tour?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchas11
We took the GS tour this month. The "guide" said that Mercedes engines are no longer put on the Tour Master as they have been unable to meet the environmental regs. But they were fine for the 2007 models and met requirements at that time. Charlie
Charlie, Did say what engines are available in the TM since the MB is no longer used? Gulf Stream has not updated their website to reflect that change as yet.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
coolchas11

My first reply vanished so I'm trying again. Our apologies. Neither Sue or I can remember if it is Catepillar or Detroit Diesel. I guess this shows where our interests are! The tour was fine. We learbed a great many things and can appreciate the finished product after seeing the process from the chassis on up. The tour began at 3pm so very few workers were on the job. GS uses an interesting system on the assembly line. The department or work unit "buys" the product from the sending unit or department. After satisfactory inspection the department/work area "pays" the sender. The product then is completed a bit further and then sent to the next step, who, in turn, "pays" for the unit or rejects it. The system is in place to assure better quality. If lacking, workers don't get paid. Is it better than a traditional assemply set-up? Let our rigs be the judges. One area I don't understand is the seemingly on-going problem with leaks. GS uses a method of pumping air into the coach. Any loss of pressure would be a sign of a potential leaking point. Sounds and looks good. All in all the tour is worth the time. We appreciate seeing all the finished vehicles ready for delivery. One thing the tour could institute and GS would benefit from is a brief discussion with owners on what's good, bad, working, improvements, etc. Any comments we made were seen as purely conversational and "let's get on with the tour." We used the GS campground for two days as a couple of items were fixed. Luckily we had gone before any tornadoes hit.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream Plant Tour

We were planning on taking the tour three years ago when we were in that part of the country. We got as far as Batesville, Indiana and I decided to call ahead to see what time the tours were held. They told me that they would be closed for two weeks and that no tours were being held. So we just kept on driving west. But I would have liked to have toured the plants and see where my Scenic Cruiser was manufactured. :
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote