Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
Kathryn

Default Where to buy used engine?

Our motorhome engine bit the dust (with only 50k miles, ugh!). According the the VIN #, the engine is a 6.8-L V10 SOHC 30V. It's a 2007 Gulf Stream Independence 8357 though the VIN report says 2006 Coachmen Mirada which I assume just means the chassis (22k lbs). Our mechanic can't find a new engine and I don't know enough to ask the right questions on finding a rebuilt/used one.Anyone know a source to buy one? Unfortunately, the Ford dealerships only check a national NEW engine database and there are none available. That's why I'm trying to find a source for used/rebuilt engines that have one in stock.
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #2
evh5150

You might want to try Jasper Engines at their website. They are a large rebuilder of domestic engines. I see that the Ford 6.8 is listed in their brochure. They will sell you a fully rebuilt engine from their stock. Their site will tell you where the nearest distributor/installer is. They will take your motor as a core. Looks like a warranty is provided.
I never used them so I can't provide first hand experience but may be a starting point.
It will not be cheap but not as expensive as a new one, as I would surmise.
Hope this helps.
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
hossross

Use the VIN on the vehicle windshield. this will be the VIN of the chassis. The motor home can be called any year so don't use the coach serial number. The model year and engine is coded in the VIN so go to Ford and get the right year and engine information or look up on internet how to decode the Vin for engine type. If you have the Gulf Stream, then you don't have the 2006 Coachmen Mirada, as that is motorhome from another manufacture. Don't know how the VIN got you there. Yes Jasper is a major rebuilder of engines and transmissions. I have also not used them, but I would trust them in they are big enough to rebuild multiples of the same product back to specs and not just a few times rebuilder. The easiest will be the exact replacement, however if you are not satisfied with power or ???? now is the time to investigate differences to be recognized and understood before any final decisions for an upgrade, You will probably have to contact any engine supplier (Jasper, or Fraser) for your RV application Tell them it is a chassis and powertrain supplied to Gulfstream for a Class A RV build. I'm guessing its a superduty 550. For instance the super duty 350 or 450 would be a cab and cutaway with powertrain for a Class C . Hope this gets you started in right direction
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Mike1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Our motorhome engine bit the dust (with only 50k miles, ugh!). According the the VIN #, the engine is a 6.8-L V10 SOHC 30V. It's a 2007 Gulf Stream Independence 8357 though the VIN report says 2006 Coachmen Mirada which I assume just means the chassis (22k lbs). Our mechanic can't find a new engine and I don't know enough to ask the right questions on finding a rebuilt/used one.Anyone know a source to buy one? Unfortunately, the Ford dealerships only check a national NEW engine database and there are none available. That's why I'm trying to find a source for used/rebuilt engines that have one in stock.
I’ve had great luck with S &J engines located in Spokane Washington.
They have a good warranty. And I believe the offer an extended warranty for a fee.
Good luck
Mike Root
Tulalip Washington
35 miles northwest of
Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, v10