Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
Henleyfamily

Default 20 279bh

Hello everyone and thanks for the add! Our family is going to pick up a 20 amerilite 279BH this weekend and I have been reading lots of reviews that have me second guessing whether I should or not. It’s in phenomenal shape and looks new. Are there any issues I should look for that may not be easy to spot in a walk through? Thank you!
Henleyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello and welcome, Leaks Leaks Leaks!!!... if it's used!! from there the frame, brakes, jacks, , tires and all lights on the exterior. Next go through the inside and make sure EVERYTHING works. Be careful just taking their word for it. It sounds like new but still look anyway. Look for wrinkles in the walls under the windows to indicate window leaks and the same for all ceiling vents or skylights and around the ota antenna crank if you have it.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!

2005 41' Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's enclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:51 PM   #3
Henleyfamily

Thank you and will do! Much appreciated!
Henleyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #4
Will_VT

I would add touching every surface of the interior to detect past or current leaks. If there was or is a leak, the area you're pushing on will be soft and give way. Check inside all the cabinets, closets, pass through storage, walls, ceiling, etc. Check the shower, look for cracks in the pan and for soft areas.
Bring a ladder and check the roof. If the roof is dirty, it's probably not been cleaned and/or inspected lately. Look for areas that have been patched.
Hopefully the unit will be hooked up to shore power so you can check the electrical system(s). At the very least, you can use a nightlight to check the outlets in the unit.
There are appliances to check out, depending if the unit is hooked up to the appropriate power source.
I would walk around the unit looking at all the joints and verify they are sealed.
As usual, there is the internet with a numbers of suggestions on what to look for when checking out a used unit.
Based on my experience, buying new has its risks too. My 250RL leaked so badly it went back to the factory for repair. Came back like new and has been leak free ever since.
Good luck and happy camping!
Will_VT is offline   Reply With Quote