Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
MLynch

Default Tourmaster batteries?

I've got about an eight month old TourMaster. I've had the thing in storage for a little bit too long without running things. My engine battery is okay, but the house batteries are dead. If I hook things up to a shore line, will the inverter for the TourMaster charge the house batteries?

Thanks,
Mike
MLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
djqualls

The convertor will charge the batteries. It is in the compartment with the shore power cord. and provides 12 volt to the coach when on shore or generator power and charges the coach batteries as well.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
MLynch

Thanks. I'll hook up to shoreline power today and get re-charged.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
hyall

what model Tourmaster? we have the T40b and the inverter only charges the inverter batteries (4) the converter only charges the house batteries (2) so what I did I installed a ech-charge to the house to also charge the chassis batteries (2) If in storage no power (shore) you have to kill everything for sure too save some power or run the engine to recharge the chassis batteries, gen to charge the inverter and house batteries
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
RJ82much

Mike,

Always remember you have one more, easy, tool available if the house batteries are dead, so that you cannot start your generator to recharge them.

Start your engine & let run for a couple minutes to recharge the engine battery. You have a dash switch with a picture of a battery (or labeled battery). Depress that switch & hold for a few minutes (patience). Then, while still holding the battery switch, start your generator.

Once the generator is running for a few moments & supplying AC power, release the battery switch because the converter will continue recarching the house batteries. You can shut down your engine at this point.

I would let the generator run for perhaps an hour. It's good for it, so long as your storage is not indoors.

If you are going to let your unit sit idle for long periods of time, it's always a good idea to open the disconnects (near your entrance door). You will loose your radio presets if you open the engine disconnects.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
MLynch

Bob:

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.

Hyall:

I've got the T40F. Once I had shoreline power, I was able to charge the house batteries. I had to hook up jumper cables to the house batteries to get the shore line to fire up.....all is working well right now, with the exception of a problem with the electronic jacks. All jacks are up, but the sensors think that my left front jack is still down. That being the case, I can't use the jacks in auto mode. I'm planning on going to St. Augustine with the kids over spring break and will probably schedule a service visit at Dick Gore's RV World (a GulfStream dealer), while up there, to get them to give things a quick once over.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
rdlamb

Hi Mike:
I am surprised the coach batteries went dead before the chassis batteries. One thing to look at is the water level in your coach batteries. It is a very good idea to get the automatic watering system to keep the water levels up. Otherwise it is a bugger to check the water levels, but one of those automotive mirrors is helpful in this area.

You should have two cut off switches on your dash, just as you enter the coach. These will kill the drain on the batteries, depending upon which one you shut, which may require you to reset clocks, radios, and other electrical appliances.

The jacks may pick up some gravel. When you level your coach, see if there is a pile of rock on the top of the jack's foot. A long handle push broom will sweep things away. I also occasionally spray the jack with the same lube I use on my slide rails.

Finally, for the chassis batteries, I've recommended a Battery Minder, with instillation through this link.

Safe travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
rdlamb

I meant to add:
Your converter, that charges your coach batteries, may be under your bed. If you have the same as my Tour Master, this is a Progressive 9000.
Progressive makes a Charge Wizard that plugs into the inverter, and monitors the charge of your batteries. IMHO it is worth it.
If you are plugged into shore power for any extended length of time your coach batteries will "bubble" and expel gas. The gas carries acid with it, which turns into the white crystal powder we call "battery acid" that corrodes the battery, cables, the compartment, just about everything. The Charge Wizard will greatly decrease this buildup, but not eliminate it.

Safe travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote