Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Nanaeve

Default ACS Superride

After all the praise that the aftermarket air-suspension has gotten, I decided to take the plunge. We took our 09 6341 Endura on the International chassis to the source, in Fresno. American Carrier is operated by two brothers who have ran the company since the late 70's early 80's. A very low key place, anxious to please, and show you their products. They are going to install the compressor package in the same basement area as Dirt Devil is in just behind the coach door. However, just like happens too often with GS, the main AC power cable, coming out of the transfer switch as it comes out of the compartment was resting on the rear shackle of the springs. It hasn't worn through YET, but was a fire looking to happen. This is the second major, dangerous screwup by GS on the AC power, the first being cutting through the insulation to the wires as they went into the transfer switch from the generator. I was sent pictures but have no idea how to attach them to this. Every time someone looks at this they find another major screw up that if GS had any QC, they would have seen unless they were sleeping. I wonder how many of thier products have burned up from fires that were the fault of piss poor manufacturing.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Texas TC

You are going to really like the ACE suspension system. I look forward to driving mine more and more since installing air ride.

Sorry to hear about your power cable issue. Hope you can get it placed in a proper location so that future issues will not occur.

We mounted my compressor on the frame behind the propane tank. I had Southwest International mount the air gauge just to the outside of the propane tank so I can check the air compressor pressure when I fuel the coach. I may move the gauge to the dash later. Don't really need it up there but I love gauges.

The only thing I will offer as far as the installation goes is have them be careful working around the Power Gear jacks. On my installation and one other, the jacks had to be reprogrammed after the installation was completed. On mine, I had told Southwest to be careful working around the jacks so they decided to test them while the coach was still up in the air. The limit switches on the jacks are magnets and depend on some ground pressure not to go past the limit switch. By lowering the jacks with no pressure, they went past the limit switches and my dealer had to reprogram the Power Gear system. Other than that, no installation issues were incurred. They did some welding around the compartment that houses my converter but did a good job of isolating the outside of the compartment so that I did not have any electrical issues.

Good luck!

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Nanaeve

Default ACE Suspension

Picked up our 2009 Endura yesterday, rained last night as we were staying in Millerton Lake State Park (Great Place!) had to drive a tiny 2 lane road to get there, and then drove back home on CA Highway 99 for 200 miles (Some of the worse road in the World) WE LOVE IT! Smoothed out the bumps, lessened the jar when surfaces changed ( Like Bridges)Phil, one of the ACE owners told me the shocks were there just as limiters, so now we have 4 shocks on the rear, two on the rearend directly and two on the Air suspension. I don't know how it all works but it just seems to! I'm going to try different sets of shocks on different locations and see what works. Texas TC, how are your shocks set up? Anyone else, please let us know, and Thanks for someone taking the plunge and being the 1st. Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Georunner

Can't comment on the suspension, I have only the budget for shocks, but I do want to add to the AC problem. When we bought our 6331 I could figure out why the outlet under the tabel would not work. I traced the wires back from the outlet, past the toilet and under the coach, to find that the cable was torn in two behind the slide out. The cable was too short and the first time the slide out went in and out it ripped it two. Scared the heck out of me, a live wire just dangling against the frame. Had to splice in about 3 feet of 10 guage cable to get it routed properly, and safe.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Texas TC

I only have the shocks that came with the ACE air suspension system. I never added shocks to the rear prior to adding air. I have been researching changing the front stock shocks but have found all the alternatives so far to be in the $300-$400 per shock range. I think I have spent enough on my coach for a while so I am sticking with the stock front shocks for now.

By the way, told ya' you would love the ACE system!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Nanaeve

Default ACE Suspension

So, Texas TC, you are only using the shocks that came with the Air Ride? Have you heard from anyone else what they have done, maybe just 2 shocks would be the way to go. Think I'll get under it and check the numbers on the shocks and compare them and then go on line to see the ratings for them, no reason to wear out more shocks then needed at one time, behaps one set can be spares. Thanks for your input, but let's not gloat about being right, someone may come to expect it all the time!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Texas TC

All of the installations I know about that were done here in Texas only use the two shocks that came with the suspension system.

And it would be bad to have to be right all of the time. Just ask my wife, she will tell you I am not even close to 80%!