Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
centurion95

Default Roof Coating?

I have a '01 Friendship 8362. The info I have says this is suppossed to have a fiberglass roof. When I inspected this roof prior to purchasing, I noticed a white coating on the roof. Is this common or maybe the previous owner had a leak? I haven't seen any signs of a leak though. Anyone else with this roof coating? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
eward1505

Default Re: Roof Coating?

I have recently purchased an older GS and it has a white rubberized coating that the previous owner refers to as Kool Seal made for RV use.
eward1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
centurion95

I figured it was something like that. I thought a "fiberglass" roof was going to be low maintenance. I seem to be getting the white streaks just like the rubber roof I had on my 5th wheel. I need to find out what type of maintenance is required.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
RayChez1

You are suppose to wash and wax the fiber glass roof, just like you do the sides. You will not have any streaking if you do that. I use the Blue Coral liquid from Wal Mart on the roof and it seems to work just fine.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
jshelley13

Default Re: Roof Coating?2007 tourmaster

does anyone know hat kind of roof system, this coach might have?, it appears to be firm, but a little cushioning, & white in color.....the penetrations have what appears to be a poured liquid, instead of "just" a caulk joint.....I am interesting in recoating, & caulk, before leaks start....thks., Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
centurion95

That is the same coating I am questioning. Maybe we should talk with Dicor ti see what they suggest.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
RayChez1

My coach does have Dicor on the joint where the top roof meets the side panels, but the way you described it, it seemed like it is something that is coated all over the top of the roof. That I do not have such a application. My roof is regular fiberglass, just like the sides, smooth and clean. Very sturdy roof. I weigh 200lbs and when I walk on top it does not flex at all. I just wash the roof every once in a while and I did wax the roof with Blue Coral liquid. Just brushed it on and let it set to protect from UV rays. Then I just rinsed it off what ever was in excess. I did cover the jointed area where the roof meets the side panels with Eternabond tape. I just felt that as I get up in age with will be too dangerous for me to be climbing up and down that coach. So I bought the tape from Amazon and my wife and I applied it. It was not hard to apply and I feel real good about that I don't have to caulk anymore.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
jshelley13

I agree, maybe talk to dicor, an maybe an email to gulfstream....thks Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
RayHarkness

Hve a 02 Gulfsteam Scenic Cruiser. Roof gets chalky at times. Found an easy way to put some sealant on that roof..which I used on my boat.
3M makes a Product called 303 Protectant. Its a white milkish looking product. Sprayed it on our boat, stopped chalking, seals the fiberglass and
water proofs it...VERY high UV protection. It leaves a slightly shiney finish..(clean the roof first) You can use this on the sides of the Coach, and also
ont he Tires. Its VERY good on the tires. Stops chalking...I do it a couple times a year. I just spray it on, then smooth it aorund with a dry Swifter .
r
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:12 PM   #10
TonySnow

Default 2004 GS Sun Voyager

I have a 2004 GS Sun Voyager. It's time for me to re-coat the roof. I am stuck. I am not even sure what kind of roof my motorhome has (EDPM, Rubber, fiberglass, etc).

It is firm - no soft spots, but I believe that I have a seam leak at the front cap.

Can anyone help me identify the material the roof is made from, please? I followed the Dicor strategy - there is no membrane exposed inside my ACs or Vent Fans.

I don't mind doing the work, or the cost, but it seems like there are a hundred ways to do this wrong, and a very limited number of ways to do it right. Anyone else gone through the investigation / evaluation process and made a real determination of materials to use? I do know that I need to stay far away from any silicon products.

I have looked at Dicor, RV Roof Magic, Butyl Rubber products, and every product listed on Amazon. I'm at a loss where to start.

I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has gone down this path and come to a reasonable strategy.
TonySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:32 PM   #11
Henry111

I'm on my second bottle of 303 wax now. I take advantage of it on the black bumpers and interior of my RV to protect it from the tough southwestern US sun. It really brings faded bumpers back to life. I have to reapply every 2 months to stay my fiberglass moneyed and cared for.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote