Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
RobSlar

Default Find water heater on/off switch on '04 GS G7

Finally taking maiden voyage in our 2004 Gulfstream Friendship G7 motor home. The previous owner did not know much about the operation of this unit, just enough to get by as he relied on his mechanic for most operations. Anyway, I am not sure where the on/off switch for the water is ( how to turn on lp caslocated. We found one switch that it might be, but don't what it is actually for. The owners manual does give any info other that turn the elec on and the lp gas. Tired of using cold water. Would appreciate advice if anyone might have knowledge of this unit. Thank you!
RobSlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Find water heater on/off switch on '04 GS G7

I don't have a Friendship, but maybe we can figure this out. On my scenic Cruiser there is a switch under one of the cabinets, on mine by the refrigerator that has a red or amber light on it. That is for your water heater electric. That is if you want to use electricity to heat up your water on the heater.
But you have another option if you want to use propane there should be a little switch on a panel by the kitchen sink that says heater pilot. If you want propane instead of AC power you press the button to light up the pilot on the water heater. Yours is probably like my coach.
Hope that helps.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Luckiest Dreamer

So who needs this guy?

The trick is to find the light switch that shares a small light that comes on when the switch is on. That should be the water heater. Just be sure the heater is full of water when you turn it on or you will burn out the element quickly! There may be another elec switch on the heater itself. On mine it is accesed from the outside panel.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
keikomika

OK, I have found the little white box with the red light, I also found the breaker for the electric water heater. I also found on the outside panel of my hot water heater, an on/off switch that doesn't want to move. I am afraid to try too hard to push the button for fear of breaking the switch. Is this the switch I need to turn to my my heater electric or is there something else I need to do to turn my water heater to electric? Thank you...
keikomika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
holmesaw

That is the switch that will allow the water heater to heat with electric. Must be on along with the switch inside with the white box.
There may be a pin in that outside switch. If so, pull it out and then push on to allow electric.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
keikomika

I purchased a new switch and put it in place, removed the pin and turned to switch to on...my switch inside is on w/the red light lit. Circuit breaker good to go...no hot water...Is it possible they never put a combination water heater in this 2006 gulfstream tourmaster coach? I metered the switch and I have 110 volts at the switch...Any ideas what else it might be?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
RayChez1

I am sure it is gas and electric. Have you checked the hot water heater element to see if it is working. Sometimes they go bad. If you have power going into the element, and it is still not heating, then that is your problem.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
03heritagerider

We have a Friendship and Ray is correct. It is gas and electric.
To run on propane, the electric switch needs to be off and vice versa for running on electric.

FOR PROPANE:
The propane water heater switch is on the wall near the cooktop. Mine is grouped with the levels test switch (battery/propane/holding tanks) and the water pump on/off switch. When you turn the propane water heater switch on, a tiny red light under the switch indicates the pilot is OUT. When the red light goes out the pilot is lit and the burners should come on. If the little red light comes back on, it is indicating the burners did not ignite.

Reminder: the electric water heater switch must be off for the propane water heater to operate.

On occasion, the carbon builds up on the tip of the pilot. It will try to light then the red pilot indicator light comes back on to signify the pilot is out. To clean it I use an emery board that I stole from my wife's fingernail kit.

FOR ELECTRIC:
On mine, the electric water heater switch is on the side of the bar/buffet cabinet. The cabinet is located at the entrance to the hallway as you enter the bath area. The switch is about waist high and is in a surface mounted electric box. The box contains the switch and a small square red indicator light. When the electric water heater switch is on, the red indicator light is lit.

Reminder: the propane water heater switch must be off for the electric water heater to operate.

As Ray said, check to make sure the element has power to it.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
keikomika

I will try to figure out if I have power to the heating element. Not sure how to get at it, but I will try and let you know..Thanks for the info...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
keikomika

OK, today I changed the 120VAC switch and I now have power to the heating element...Just not much hot water...lukewarm to say the best...Any chance the high low switch is bad or do you think the heating element is shot?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
03heritagerider

My guess is that the element is bad. I don't think they (at least mine doesn't) have a hi/lo switch. The element is preset and controlled by the thermostat. Even the propane is preset. I can tell you that the water gets much hotter with the propane than the electric.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
RayChez1

On my coach both electric or propane, the water gets pretty hot. The only difference that I have noticed is if your heater has been off, it will heat up faster with the propane burner then the heating element. But lets say you turn on the electric switch on, it will be hot within two hours.
I suspect that the heating element might be bad. You should be able to find one at a camper world or any RV repair shop.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
keikomika

The water heater element was shot..replaced the element and everything is good...hot water galore..Thanks everybody.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
RayChez1

Glad the problem was solved.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikomika
The water heater element was shot..replaced the element and everything is good...hot water galore..Thanks everybody.
Great!...now celebrate with a nice hot shower!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
trblmakr

We have a 1999 Gulfstream Tourmaster. We just recently purchased it and still working out the kinks. The seller was not very knowledgeble about the coach. We have owned rvs for over 15 years but never a diesel with slides. Our issue now is with the water heater. We have a switch that we think is the electric water heater switch but were not sure because the water never gets hot. IT only gets luke warm with the propane. My questions are - how do we know for sure it is run off electric AND gas & not just gas? And if the problem is the heating element - would we even get lukewarm water?? ANy knowledge or help would be appreciated. ALso have switches in bathroom area that will not work. i think its all int he switches.
Thanks!
trblmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
RayChez1

Sounds like you might have a bad element on the water heater. You got to remember that it takes longer for a water heater to heat up the water with the electric element then what it does with propane. I would leave the electric switch on for several hours before I would test to see if the water has gotten hot. If it still does not get hot, then it is a bad element which you can replace fairly easy. You can find them at camper world or you might even find them at a Home depot or Lowes.

Now if you want to use propane there should be a panel that says pilot. Press the button to turn it on. A small red light should come on until the pilot ignites. Once it ignites the red light will go off and the water heater should start warming up the water.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
GStream40
Site Team

You migth want to check to make sure the water heater "By-Pass" valves are in their correct position for use, if not you will only get luke warm water.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
trblmakr

Ron - where is the by-pass valve? Heating element tests good.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
trblmakr

We have hot water on the outside shower, but none in the coach?? Help!