Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
rescue7

Default Block heater

I have 2007 Tourmaster 40C is there a switch to turn the block heater on and off. I know its on a breaker but seems like there should be a wall switch somewhere. I know othe vendor coaches do. Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks

Don
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Block heater

On my 2004 Yellowstone DP there is only a breaker to turn it on, BUT there is a plug in cord in the left rear outside compartment where the main power cord is located.
The plug in is located at the top of the compartment. This cord goes directly to the engine heater.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
rescue7

I do use the circuit breaker or unplug outside. I know Tiffin puts a wall switch in the bedroom to turn their heater on and off. I thought maybe we might have a switch that I have not found. It would make it easier to turn on and off.

Thanks for reply

Don
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

I agree that there should be a switch inside besides the breaker. I once forgot that I had plugged my heater in here at home the night before we left for Florida one winter,
four days later I remembered while in Florida. Sure didn't need the engine heater there.
Anyway, I thought for sure I had probably ruined the heater or something else. Well it didn't distroy anything because it still works.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
RayChez1

On my Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser there is a light switch on the front of the bed box with a red light on it. And the plug for the block heater is in the same compartment where my invertor/charger is.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Any Idea if there is one on a 2006 Tour Master with the 330 Mercedes engine? I can't seem to find a plug.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Arthur Hayes

Last time I was at Gafney I asked about a block heater and was told that Mercedes utilizes a (Grid heat system). I don't know how it works but I have had no trouble starting the engine at temps near zero. Never had a diesel start as easy as this one.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hayes
Last time I was at Gafney I asked about a block heater and was told that Mercedes utilizes a (Grid heat system). I don't know how it works but I have had no trouble starting the engine at temps near zero. Never had a diesel start as easy as this one.
I have to say I've never had a problem either. It does start easily. But, just wondering about the block heater. Since you have a 2007, Tour Master, I was wondering if it has a residential refrigerator? I am hijacking this thread, since no one is answering mine.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
rescue7

My 07 has a residential ref. I have no problem starting or any problem just looking for a better way to shut off block heater without turning off breaker or unpluging. I think when I get back home I will wire a switch from the plug into the bedroom.

Don
Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue7
I have 2007 Tourmaster 40C is there a switch to turn the block heater on and off. I know its on a breaker but seems like there should be a wall switch somewhere. I know othe vendor coaches do. Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks

Don
There is also a plug in my 2006 in the compartment where the 50 AMP power cord is with a cord plugged into it. Is this for the block heater? The cord is covered with one of those corrigated plastic covers and looks like it might go to the engine compartment, but could go to the bedroom too, shere it is located. Where is the breaker for that outlet? Is it the one right along side of it in that compartment. If that is the block heater and that is the breaker for it, its been on ever since I had the motorhome and I got it in June. I've been afraid to unplug it since I'm not sure where it goes. If so that may be one of my problems with high electricity usage. Please help.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
rescue7

That is your block heater. My breaker is in the main breaker box under the refrigerator, it is labeled engine heater. If you dont turn it off it will keep your engine warm all the time. I turn the braker off and only use if its below 40 out.

Don
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue7
That is your block heater. My breaker is in the main breaker box under the refrigerator, it is labeled engine heater. If you dont turn it off it will keep your engine warm all the time. I turn the braker off and only use if its below 40 out.

Don
Very good to hear. I unplugged it and went to the smart meter and could virtually see the meter moving slower. When I grabbed the plug it felt very warm, but not hot. Good thing I've been keeping that block warm since June. No wonder it starts so easy. My main breaker is under the bed, I'll check that out too. Thanks so mcuh.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
nemo45

I checked the breakers in the main box and there is one there labeled "Eng." and it was on, so I have been running that block heater every time I've been plugged into shore power. We have been in the valley for three months. I know I'm going to label the plug in and the power cord that goes to the block heater. Wish someone had done that before. I thought there should be a wire in engine compartment like my Dodge diesel pickup had and looked for one, but no luck. Love this forum.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hayes

What they were trying to tell you at gaftney is that these engines do not have glow plugs where you had to hold the switch on for a few seconds or a minute before you would crank the engine to start it. Now they have like you called it (Grid heat system).

But I do have both the Grid heat system and a block heater and it does make a lot of difference when you get to minus zero degree weather. With the block heater the starting is instant and smooth. When you do not have the block heater it is a rougher start.

I do have a switch to turn mine on, it looks like the same switch that turns the electric water heater inside your coach. And the plug is in the compartment where your 50 amp chord is to hook up to shore power. Mine also has the inverter/charger in that compartment.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
03heritagerider

Ray,

Can you tell me where your on/off switch is located? I've plugged mine in when used (rarely), but can not find a breaker labled ENG or a switch.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03heritagerider
Ray,

Can you tell me where your on/off switch is located? I've plugged mine in when used (rarely), but can not find a breaker labled ENG or a switch.
The on/off switch for the block heater on mine is located on the side of the box for the bed. The bed on my coach is cross ways, so as you walk towards the bedroom you walk right up to it and since it has a red/amber light on it you can tell right away if it is on or off.

I am really surprised that the TourMasters do not have a switch and that they are hooked up directly to the circuit breaker box to turn it on/off.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
The on/off switch for the block heater on mine is located on the side of the box for the bed.
Ray,

My bed is set the same way. As you walk toward the bed room, the three breaker/fuse panels are staring at you on the side of the bed platform (unsightly design, by the way).

There is no switch or indicator light.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
nemo45

Guys, you can bet you bottom dollar that I put a piece of yellow tape on that engine block power cord and labeled it as such. Wish some one else would have done that before me. it would have severl hundred dollars.