Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Douglas1

Default Storage door

Classic error,
Pulled slide in with storage door open below. Need new storage door. Does anyone know where to find used basement door, maybe with same paint scheme? Possible?
Douglas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
Boho48

Default Storage door

I had a problem with my water heater door.. crumbled it good.. my auto body body shop was able to hammer it back to normal and repaint it the exact color. I was amazed.. worth checking out
Boho48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
jamesham

Do you feel lucky? There are a limited number of RV Salvage yards around the country that you may find a replacement. Bontragers in Michigan and Colaw in MO may be able to help you on the phone. There are some smaller ones around Elkhart area.

Here is the URL for a complete list: https://rtrvg.com/blog/2017/07/22/us...ards-by-state/

The easy way to paint-match is to take your old beatup storage door to a local auto paint supply company. The best have a color match computer and you can have them mix up a small batch of matching paint. They can put it in a spray can, or as small as a pint can with a brush. It is NOT cheap, but you will have enough paint to last for years of touchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas1 View Post
Classic error,
Pulled slide in with storage door open below. Need new storage door. Does anyone know where to find used basement door, maybe with same paint scheme? Possible?
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
bmojmhs

What do you have that would allow you to damage your storage door when bringing the slide in? The only way I could damage any of my doors if I held it up under the slide when moving the slide in. All my doors under a slide are made so they do not get caught up in the slide.

Anyway, my bin doors lift up and I damaged one while on the road. The doors are made up of a inside liner taped to an aluminum frame, with insulation in the frame pockets, and an outside painted aluminum sheet tapped to the aluminum frame. Over the years the tape dries out and the outside panel becomes loose. The airstream bent the door skin 90 degrees as the handle stopped the panel from coming off completely.

It was only the outside skin that got damaged. I took it off and found a local aluminum shop who put it through his brake to get it as flat as possible. I got double sided automotive tape, put styrofoam insulation in the frame, and tapped the outer skin back on. If you go this route look up auto detailing to see how they tape fixtures to cars. Use the same method to tape the skin to the frame.

How does your door come off? On mine the doors are put on by sliding them along a rail attached to the frame. They start at one end and push the doors along. Up in the slide rail, there are set screws to keep the door in position. The rail is covered up by the side trim. In otherwords, it is a major job to get a door off and I would not want to even attempt it.

On the sidee of one of the doors should be a sticker with the name of the door mfg. You can always go back to them to see what they can do.Mine were made by J&G Mfg.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
jcgorham

Yep I did the same thing, had to relocate my coach to another RV spot and got way ahead of myself and started moving my living room slide in and heard an awful crunching sound, my large basement door folded up like an accordion. I searched the web but could not find a compatible door so relented by taking it to a body shop and I'm very happy that I did because they dis an outstanding job by replacing the door and painting it to match my coach, which had 4 different colors on it. Very costly mistake, but I now have a checklist that I use before I start breaking down my coach to move. Take Care and good luck.
jcgorham is offline   Reply With Quote