Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Chuck v

Default MDX Acura for toad

Just picked up a very low mileage Acura MDX to use as a toad. It is a 2005 and that is the last year that Honda/Acura listed this model for 4-down towing (with a 65 MPH speed limit and 8 hour duration limit without repeating the initialization process that the AWD automatic transmission on the CRV also uses.)

Anyone else here use this model/year as a toad?? Curious as to what tow plate and bar is recommended -- I see both Blue Ox and RoadMaster make them, perhaps others. Any voice of experience here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
RayChez1

I tow a 2005 Honda Pilot EXL which is very simular to the Acura. It is four wheel drive and the tow plate on mine is from Blue Ox. I also have the Aventa III tow bar which is a 10K tow bar. I love the set up because you can't even see where you connect to the base plate.
When I get ready to tow, I connect everything then I run the vehicle through all the gears for a few minutes on each. I put the key on the on number two position so that your steering is not locked. It also gives me power to the cigarette lighter to connect the brake buddy. If on real long trip, you have to run the transmission thru the same cycle after eight hours. I never drive that long, but that is the way to do it. I have on the Honda Pilot the V6 engine. It has something like 245 HP. I have seen my friends Acura and the engine looks identical. Anyways that is the way to do it. By the way I know several that have brand new Honda Pilots that are not suppose to be towed, but it is the exact system as the 2005 which was according to the manual towable. Sales person told me that Honda just does not care for it to be towed because lots of people will not run it threw the gears before towing and could cause damage.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Chuck v

RayChez,

Thanks for the information about your toad setup -- pretty much follows the Acura manual section on towing behind a motor home. I was glad to see that manufacturer's approved process in print when we test drove the car when looking to replace the wife's '91 Subaru Legacy. That Subaru was a very reliable car for her, but like the others we have up until the Acura, was not rated to tow flat.

I know that the Acura MDX models post 2005 are not officially rated to be flat towed and could not see any changes that would account for that retraction, figured it was an attempt to discourage use that could lead to ignoring the manual recommendations and cause Honda/Acura to make repairs and have to assess if owner abuse was a factor. We did not consider any of the newer body style (changed with the 2007 model...) because the rear visibility is so much reduced -- same is true of the CRV at about that time...

I will look into the Blue Ox tow plate... Still need to do some research on the brake thing, might try to use the air kind as the coach has air brakes as well. Any thoughts anyone has to share on that option are very much appreciated...

Chuck

Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
RayChez1

I would definitely look into the air system for brakes on your toad. If I could have installed the air brake system on my Ford Ranger I used to have as a toad, I sure would have done it. But it required a lot of modifications to get the adaptor in between the master cylinder. I can't remember the name of the company that sells and adaptor that goes right behind the master cylinder and that is where your air line hooks up to it. But it is the best way to go if you have the room in front of the master cylinder. The kit runs around six hundred dollars, which actually is cheaper then the brake buddy that I have at $1200. I already had the brake buddy from the previous toad, so I decided to use it on the Honda Pilot. It also works good, but takes a little more time to install then to just plug in an air hose.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Chuck v

ReyChez,

Well, we got around to getting the Acura MDX set up to tow -- used the RoadMaster brand products as they are a local Pacific Northwest company.

We did choose to go with the proportional air brake setup, the BrakeMaster 9160, along with the Sterling All Terrain tow bar. So far we have only used it locally on the area freeways and through the neighborhoods bringing it back from the installer's, but it really seems simple enough to set up/connect and it tracks just as it should.

Even though the Sterling bar can stay mounted on the rear hitch of the coach and has the vinyl cover, I choose to take it off and put it in one the rear locking bays behind the rear wheels just for security reasons and to keep everything clean in both appearance and function. The Sterling bar only weighs 35 pounds, so moving it around is not a big deal...

We opted for the Guardian rock shield also. It is a bit more of a challenge to store, as are the removable parts from the front of the MDX.

Very satisfied with this set-up, and may post an update when we do a longer trip...

Chuck

Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v
ReyChez,

Well, we got around to getting the Acura MDX set up to tow -- used the RoadMaster brand products as they are a local Pacific Northwest company.

We did choose to go with the proportional air brake setup, the BrakeMaster 9160, along with the Sterling All Terrain tow bar. So far we have only used it locally on the area freeways and through the neighborhoods bringing it back from the installer's, but it really seems simple enough to set up/connect and it tracks just as it should.

Even though the Sterling bar can stay mounted on the rear hitch of the coach and has the vinyl cover, I choose to take it off and put it in one the rear locking bays behind the rear wheels just for security reasons and to keep everything clean in both appearance and function. The Sterling bar only weighs 35 pounds, so moving it around is not a big deal...

We opted for the Guardian rock shield also. It is a bit more of a challenge to store, as are the removable parts from the front of the MDX.

Very satisfied with this set-up, and may post an update when we do a longer trip...

That is a good set up you got for towing. But I diffenitely would look into getting a key type hitch pin. That way nobody can steal your hitch. It is too much of a hassle removing it everytime you get to destination. The pin would be just like a regular lock which requires a key to remove it. I really like mine. Check it out, might save you a lot of work.

Chuck
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Chuck v

Ray,

Actually, the tow bar was installed by a very professional vendor that worked directly for Roadmaster in their factory for two decades before becoming an independent installer. A locking hitch pin was included in the complete tow package we bought, and it IS used whenever the tow bar is on the coach. I just prefer for the whole thing to be put away for long term parking...

Chuck

Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
BillGates

Default Re: MDX Acura for toad

So you purchased an Acura MDX to use as a toad? I think you are wasting the car. Its a good car with good parts. But its yours so you can do what ever you want with it. Any way, I don't know bar is recommended for it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
bahayerte

Default Re: MDX Acura for toad

acura mdx is cheaper and better too. Here you will find
auto insurance quotes. find a good one
bahayerte is offline   Reply With Quote