Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Dennis1554

Default Fuel water separator Question

I have a question about draining the fuel water separator filter on my Cat-C7. When traveling, how do you dispose the fuel water mixture you get out? This diesel stuff is new to me, so I am trying to learn the tricks. I am not even sure how much to drain! Draining even just a little smells and looks like diesel. I’m looking for your experience and expert advice! Thanks!
Dennis1554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
UAHaerospace

you may not have any water in your fuel, so therefore there is nothing to dispose of. The filter is there to separate any water from the diesel, but chances are you'll rarely have any. If you turn the knob and only 'diesel' comes out, then you close it and move on.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
Dennis1554

Thanks! Well, I guess i’ll Get the hang of it. Not really sure if I am getting pure diesel or a mixture. May if I let it sit it will separate. The question on disposal pertained to whatever I drained out. I have been using a glass jar with lid. Won’t take long to fill it up. So what is the proper way to get rid of it? Can’t just put it in the campground dumpster. What do you experienced folks do?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1554 View Post
Thanks! Well, I guess i’ll Get the hang of it. Not really sure if I am getting pure diesel or a mixture. May if I let it sit it will separate. The question on disposal pertained to whatever I drained out. I have been using a glass jar with lid. Won’t take long to fill it up. So what is the proper way to get rid of it? Can’t just put it in the campground dumpster. What do you experienced folks do?
With my diesel truck I always just let the water run on the ground. You are supposed to stop before the fuel starts coming out. If you have a small amount of emulsion put it in a plastic container and throw it in the dumpster. It's more biodegradable than a lot of other stuff in there.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
Swiss Man

Just take a glass or plastic container. You will see the water is heavier than the diesel. But you have a controlled filter. Means you get a yellow flash light on the dash, when the filter contains water and it is needed to drain.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1554 View Post

All cities in California where I live have a place to dispose any hazardous materials. You do not dump it on the ground, that is for sure, because these liquids eventually will work their way into the drinking water tables.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to kenjohnston83@gmail.com

Dennis, try this experiment. Get a clear glass. Fill it 1/3 full of diesel. Then pour in the same amount of water. Water weighs 8.34 lb/gal. - diesel, 7 lb/gal. Do you think the water will stay on top of the diesel in the glass? Having made that observation, imagine there was a drain cock in the bottom of the glass. If you opened it, what would come out first - water or diesel? Same thing happens with your fuel/water separator. Drain a couple of oz and observe - diesel or water? If it's diesel, you have no water. Put the diesel back in your fuel tank. If it's water, throw it on the ground. Keep draining til you get diesel.
kenjohnston83@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:14 AM   #8
bbybee

Fantastic explanation, sometimes the obvious is not.

Buck
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #9
Restorium

Gasoline is classified as a hazardous waste and diesel fuel is not.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
Dennis1554

Thanks for the help! So far, I haven’t seen any water. I drained some out of the filter and figured that was good but, then I realized I had to do something with the fuel I drained out! Definitely some interesting comments! Thanks again!