Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
holmesaw

Default Got a mouse!

Discovered mouse droppings under the kitchen sink in our 2005 Sun Voyager. I think it came in around the water lines above the pump.
Applied some spray foam into the hole the water lines feed thru.
Anyone else had this problem?
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
RJ82much

YES YES YES, perpetually.

I'm thinking the MH is like swiss cheese to rodents. It smells like cheese & is filled with holes.

We have filled every nook & cranny with mothballs. This includes closets, wall cavities, cabinets & basement compartments. Modest luck over the years.

We've purchased spearmint (peppermint?) oil - saturate cotton balls, smells great, mice hate it. Place them everywhere. Very effective (for a while), but also very expensive.

I currently have a lone, swiss-cheese baited mouse trap under the lower kitchen drawer. I average 5 mice per week, every week! A friend thinks that the mice from the "woods" make regular daily excursions into the MH in their search for food. They don't necessarily make it "home".

The destructive creatures tear apart bedding, roam all over silverware, fall into deep pots & die because they're trapped, bathroom towels are shreaded. They even get into the driver's side overhead cabinet & chew the netting to pieces.

Another device I've recently emplyed in the house is to half fill a deep pot with water. Place a dab of peanut butter on a plastic butter-tub top & float it on top of the water. I was doubtful this would work, but I am catching 1 mouse per day in my house with this! They jump in for the pb, the lid flips over, they can't get out and drown! I never would have thought it would be so effective. Just remember to place the pot next to something they can climb up to jump in.

I guess I only have have maybe 50,000 little rodents to go before the 3 acres around my house are cleared.

Yes, mice are a problem.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

One thing that we have used for years with great success is Bounce Fabric Softener sheets. We just wrinkle them and spread around the interior of the coach, cabinets and in the storage compartments.

We change the sheets when they start to loose their odor.

In ten years that we have been using them in the RV's, we had one mouse get in and it was during a time when we hadn't changed the sheets and they had lost there smell.

We were told that the mouse hate the odor of the Bounce sheets and we were told that the sheets mask the odors of food and other things so the mice do not get in. Either way it seems to work.

Added bonus is that the RV always smells fresh.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote