Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
tevz32

Default Stealth Tolls

After arriving home from Florida in late March I received a bill from something called River Link. It was a picture of my RV with the license prominently displayed crossing a bridge on what appeared to be I65. The bill said
I had not paid a toll fee. I had seen no sign of any kind to inform me that there was a toll. This is the second or third time I have received such a bill in various locations. Has anyone else been subjected to this unarmed robbery?
tevz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Frutza

Not being an expert on this but I do know the bridge on I65 indiana to KY is a toll bridge no booth, I have encountered other areas that just mail you a toll even one in Kansas where the gate went up said pass excepted, then mailed a fine!
Old 04-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
UAHaerospace

many toll roads are now 'toll by mail' only, which means that if they have an agreement with the state your license plate is issued from, and the cameras can read it, you'll get a bill for the toll since you obviously can't 'stop' somewhere and pay it. I would suggest that 'not seeing any signs' might not hold up in court, unless you are saying that you think someone 'stole' your license plate, or vehicle, and drove it thru this toll road without your knowledge.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
UAHaerospace

https://www.in.gov/indot/3594.htm
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Uofu4u2

Default Use Google Maps to help plan your route.

In Google Maps, select "Avoid Tolls" under "Route Options" when planning a route. You'll get a quick idea how much more it can cost in time and fuel to save a regular toll. But, you might get a more scenic drive by staying off toll roads.
Uofu4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
RayChez1

Yes they got them all over the country. You have to pay it unfortunately. Automation taking away our jobs. And it is going to get a lot worse with the 5G programs.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
jamesham

Such electronic tolling is becoming more common. Most are well marked in advance. I have received tolls from Florida, Alabama, Texas, Indiana tollway, Chicago area, and Kansas Turnpike. Seattle even has a few areas of Interstate where just one lane is a toll. Florida has a lot of toll bridges one way in tourist areas like Sanibel Island. Hard to argue with them when they send you a photo of your vehicle. In some cases, there are no alternatives so you cannot avoid them.

[QUOTE=tevz32;30722]After arriving home from Florida in late March I received a bill from something called River Link. It was a picture of my RV with the license prominently displayed crossing a bridge on what appeared to
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #8
ronaldmartel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevz32 View Post
After arriving home from Florida in late March I received a bill from something called River Link. It was a picture of my RV with the license prominently displayed crossing a bridge on what appeared to be I65. The bill said
I had not paid a toll fee. I had seen no sign of any kind to inform me that there was a toll. This is the second or third time I have received such a bill in various locations. Has anyone else been subjected to this unarmed robbery?
Did the bill give a location or mike marker on I-65?
I would validate with DMV.
ronaldmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
tevz32

Default stealth tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldmartel View Post
Did the bill give a location or mike marker on I-65?
I would validate with DMV.
They gave a location only after I wrote an email complaint.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
tevz32

Smile stealth tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uofu4u2 View Post
In Google Maps, select "Avoid Tolls" under "Route Options" when planning a route. You'll get a quick idea how much more it can cost in time and fuel to save a regular toll. But, you might get a more scenic drive by staying off toll roads.
Normally we avoid interstates as much as we can because we travel to see the country not just more concrete.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
RJ82much

Default stealth tolls

I'd like to tell you to fight it... Don't bother, I tried here in Florida. They just sell your infraction to a collection agency. The threats are unbelievable from this ruthless outfit. Will they really seize your account? Will they really attach your property? Will they really report you as a deadbeat to the credit bureaus? Who knows? Do you want to risk it?

My fine was $0.50 toll & $3.00 fee (to Florida) for the "privilege" of not having to stop. At the start, the agency added another $6.00 for fees. Phone calls to the agency were a joke - "How do you want to pay?" was the ONLY response they knew. I talked to a real voice, but he was rude, nasty, dismissive, etc. My only recourse (& reward) was to keep him on the line until he would hang up on me. Then call him back the next day with more questions till he would again hang up on me.

Don't bother fighting it... You cannot win unless you change your identity & go into witness protection.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote