Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
dpitchai

Default 2021 BT Cruiser 5210 TV bunk to Bed/storage tips

HI All!

We bought a 2021 BT Cruiser 5210 with Sofa and Dinette option. This is my first RV purchase, but I have rented few times mostly from Cruise America. We are a family of four with two kids, 8 and 2 years old. We bought this RV so that we can have nice features while on road, friends can join us, and probably we will never camp in a single place for days due to my work. So sleeping area is not a concern for me.

I am thinking whether to custom modify the bunk TV entertainment center to a small bunk bed where a kid can sleep or a bigger storage space, and fit the TV with swivel on the side. At the time of purchase, I called BT Cruiser, if they can do this, but they said, they won't be able to do it.

Need some tips from you, if this is some thing I can consider to do.

Thanks!
dpitchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #2
CaryL

Hi and welcome to the community.

I am just beginning the project of opening my BT5245 overhead TV cabinet space. There is a tremendous amount of unused space up there. I will be doing the carpentry over the winter.

You can get a small kid up there. The extra storage will be well worth the effort as well.

Here is a link to another posting that has already done the project:
https://www.gsowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6786

Thread title:
Hey-lam, new 2020 bt cruiser 5210

He has done a tremendous amount of work on his 5210 and you will have to go to page 3 of the thread to see a picture and description of his TV cabinet project.

The pink fiberglass will have to come out as any floating exposed fibers are a health hazard. I am investigating some alternatives for noise deadening and minimize heat penetration.

I would be interested in your approach as well.
Cheers,
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
dpitchai

Than you Sir!

I am not skilled to do it myself like BT5210 member. Since the space is encouraging to start, I might work with some custom RV folks in Indiana, to get an estimate for adding bunk with full finishing and insulation. It might take a month for me to start on this, I will keep this thread updated.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
dpitchai

I spoke to Gulf stream reps and they said 5210 has a structural limitation in adding sleeping area on the cab over entertainment center. So, the best I can do is, open up the TV panel area, make it as a swing door with lock, and use the space behind as bedding storage like another user did here.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
CatG

Default Over cab storage area

Hey there
I’ve spent the past few months doing a total renovation on our BT cruiser...once completed I’ll add the whole project, but for now just wanted to show you a quick before and after of our over cab area. Ours is a 2003. It is possible to remove everything- just be careful to observe how all the screws are drilled so you can undo them without too much damage to any timber you may want to reuse. I was able to reuse all the framing and then added sliding doors on rails attached to the back of the frame - the storage behind there is huge! and we will use it to store all our bedding, handheld vac and our Bluetooth cycle helmets, for charging (there’s a power outlet back there).
We don’t really care to watch tv - even at home - (prefer Netflix, so we’ll just download to our iPad instead) We removed the enormous 39” tv to sell, and have fully utilized the previously wasted space.
Good luck with your project! Don’t be intimidated - it’s very satisfying to reclaim all that unused real estate!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76B62D3C-1E86-4DB7-B4FB-C2EC8C81069B.jpg (111.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg ACB7657A-F19C-4E07-8335-115593F3ED16.jpg (188.1 KB, 61 views)
CatG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
dpitchai

Thank you for sharing, your update looks very nice!
Old 01-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
CatG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpitchai View Post
Thank you for sharing, your update looks very nice!
thanks! have you made any progress with your project?
Old 01-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
CatG

P.S. as for BT saying the over cab area wouldn't be suitable for a kids bunk area - obviously depends on the size of child etc and how much weight adding anything would incur - but I weigh about 120 pounds and had no issues climbing up into the cab area when I was doing the renovations...didn't have any concerns about the stability (and am assuming our rig over cab area hasn't been modified from original...?!) - ours had some gray thin carpet over the original gray headliner fabric, under all of that there is wood....
Old 02-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
bbaluski

We have two kids and travel in our 5230. We just set up a tent in good weather and if its real bad the kids sleep on one side and we sleep on the other. We only had to do this once when it was snowing. The kids really do prefer the tent. Its their own get away. The dogs go with the kids. We have a projector you can show movies on the side of the motor home.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
dpitchai

Are there speakers in Coach area? I could not find anything.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #11
CatG

Mine has speakers in the ceiling...pretty sure they were factory installed - perhaps some ‘from new’ owners can confirm/help?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
dpitchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatG View Post
Mine has speakers in the ceiling...pretty sure they were factory installed - perhaps some ‘from new’ owners can confirm/help?
My 2021 BT 5210 does not have any speakers.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #13
CaryL

My 2017 BT 5245 has 2 speakers in the dash, 2 speakers in the ceiling, and 2 speakers outside on the passenger side. They are all controlled by the dashboard radio. They were present when I bought the coach new off the lot. This was not a special order.
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #14
Hanrick Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatG View Post
P.S. as for BT saying the over cab area wouldn't be suitable for a kids bunk area - obviously depends on the size of child etc and how much weight adding anything would incur - but I weigh about 120 pounds and had no issues climbing up into the cab area when I was doing the renovations...didn't have any concerns about the stability (and am assuming our rig over cab area hasn't been modified from original...?!) - ours had some gray thin carpet over the original gray headliner fabric, under all of that there is wood....
Convert the TV bunk into a comfortable bed for additional sleeping space.
Utilize the under-bed storage for clothes, bedding, or camping gear.
Secure loose items during travel to prevent shifting.
Make the most of overhead cabinets for organized storage.
Consider adding hooks or bins for extra convenience.
Keep bedding easily accessible for quick setup.
Regularly check and maintain hinges and latches for smooth operation.
Maximize the space by using collapsible containers.
Use labeled bins to quickly find stored items.
Create a cozy sleeping environment with soft bedding and pillows."
Hanrick Potter is offline   Reply With Quote