Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
MAJWayne88

Default Electrical Issues - 2007 Yellowstone

During recent renovations of my RV, a couple of shorts killed my entire electrical system. Shortly after, we got hit with that horrendous winter storm. So getting back to my RV to complete the renovations, I now have a completely dead system. The chassis itself starts and runs fine, however no generator and no converter and no dc power. Where do I start? When I hit the starter switch for the generator....nada.

Additional notes: I checked the batteries (3) cold 11.86 volts, .68 volts, and .68 volts. Then started the RV and got 14.58 volts, 14.11 volts, and 14.11 volts. While it was running, I found I could put the bedroom slide out, bedroom lights worked, and some of the forward cabin lights worked. But still no generator, no kitchen, and no bathroom. Can someone tell me where to go from here?
MAJWayne88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Dennis4809

Sounds like it’s time to replace the batteries. If you measured under a volt, they are beyond dead. When you start the engine, you’re reading alternator voltage, not the battery.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
MAJWayne88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Sounds like it’s time to replace the batteries. If you measured under a volt, they are beyond dead. When you start the engine, you’re reading alternator voltage, not the battery.
Yes sir, that is the conclusion I've come to. I will baby it along until I'm ready to hit the road in a few weeks and replace them before I head out.

Thanks,
MAJWayne88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
Dennis4809

Take pictures so you can be sure to hook them up the same way. Don’t know your rig but since three batteries, one that checks good and 2 bad, does that mean that you have a gasser with a single chassis battery and two batteries for the house? If so, you’d only need to replace the 2. Since they are 12 volt batteries, they will be in parallel so positive to positive and negative to negative.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote