Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Mallardrv

Default BT Cruiser 5291 Rear Suspension

Hello All

We recently downsized from a 1997 35' Class A to a 2017 BT Cruiser 5291. Except for some minor headaches caused by some poor assembly workmanship (that's questions for another thread and another time) the "settling in" has gone well.

I need advice on one issue: The rear end and hitch is so low that I come very close to dragging going up and down my driveway (and that's empty). There is less than an inch of clearance between the rear of the coach and my driveway. I would like to add a set of airbags, not to increase the carrying capacity, but just to get the rear end up a little bit more. However, the generic Gulf Stream owners manual says no air bags or it will void the warranty. Has anyone installed airbags to keep from dragging the rear end? What is the danger in doing this?

I have a sticker by the entrance door that says, "Ride enhancement by MORryde" or similar wording. Does anyone have the same feature on their coach? What is it and what does it do? I can't find any information

Thanks for your help

Mike
Mallardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
carlamoore923

Default hitch dragging

I have 2004 bt cruiser same issue except i do drag sometimes on the driveway and i have to watch it in some businesses.
carlamoore923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
purduepete12

I have a 2007 Model 5291B which had the same problem of dragging the hitch and generator exhaust on ramps going into the gas stations. I bought mine new, so while it was under warranty I complained to Gulfstream and they came and picked it up and took it to the factory. They had Mor-Ryd add two extra leafs to the springs so now I have 13 on each side and it lifted the back end a couple of inches. It also made it drive much easier.
The also moved the generator to the compartment behind the passenger door and converted the old generator compartment to a storage unit. The also added a storage compartment to the area behind the rear wheels on the passenger side. these 2 storage compartments are very handy as they are not under the slides. In retrospect I wish they would have put the generator in the storage compartment next to the propane tank with exhaust coming out the back side of the camper.

Pete
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
jerryg401

Gulfstream came and picked up your coach and actually did something to fix a problem? I have never been able to get them to answer their phone! I guess wonders never cease!!
jerryg401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
jerryg401

I bought two steel rollers and welded them to the bottom of the frame to keep from dragging the hitch, safety cables and generator exhaust pipe on my BT 5291. Worked great!
jerryg401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
purduepete12

I bought my unit new (2007) in Feb of 2008. Things were a little different 13 years ago.
I weighed my rig and found it to overweight on the rear axle and played the safety card with Gulfstream.

Pete
Old 04-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
dpitchai

My 2021 5210 also has the same problem. The two extension coming out of hitch is scratching the drive way while getting in and getting out. It gets very bad, if I try to come in forward motion in drive way. While entering in reverse it is some what better.

So calling Gulfstream helps?
dpitchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
purduepete12

I weighed mine empty and found the rear axle was overweight. I complained that it was unsafe to drive that way and they agreed to add 2 leafs to the rear suspension to carry the load and it resulted in raising the rear a couple of inches.
They also moved the generator so the tail pipe wouldn't drag.
I don't understand why they didn't make these modifications to all there units after that.

Pete
Old 04-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
dpitchai

Thanks. In my case (5210) generator is not a problem since it sitting between front and rear wheels. I will call the Gulf stream and check.
dpitchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:30 PM   #10
rideaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete12 View Post
I have a 2007 Model 5291B which had the same problem of dragging the hitch and generator exhaust on ramps going into the gas stations. I bought mine new, so while it was under warranty I complained to Gulfstream and they came and picked it up and took it to the factory. They had Mor-Ryd add two extra leafs to the springs so now I have 13 on each side and it lifted the back end a couple of inches. It also made it drive much easier.
The also moved the generator to the compartment behind the passenger door and converted the old generator compartment to a storage unit. The also added a storage compartment to the area behind the rear wheels on the passenger side. these 2 storage compartments are very handy as they are not under the slides. In retrospect I wish they would have put the generator in the storage compartment next to the propane tank with exhaust coming out the back side of the camper.

Pete
Well that would be nice, of course mine is old now but I have thought of moving the generator or water tank. The wiring would be a big job also. Mine is overloaded empty also.
rideaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:51 PM   #11
Just two

I added air ride air bags with 2” spacers. I also installed a 12 volt 100 psi compressor. It works with a remote or a phone App. If I inflate the air bags to 80 psi I get 2” of lift and clear the driveway. Our rig is a 2021 bt5210. Took a bit to install it all but seems worth it.
Just two is offline   Reply With Quote