Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default Converter

My 2020 Envision 258RB converter just started running continuously? It seems to have happened after I had a reverse polarity on the incoming 110v 30 amp surge protector? I opened the supply breaker (my home electrical panel) and checked all the plug connections leading to the trailer and closed the supply breaker and everything was normal? Not sure what have caused the reverse polarity red light on the surge protector, but when I powered down and back up I got the 2 green lights and power to the trailer. Could the converter have burned out something? The converter breaker is a 15 amp breaker and when I shut it off overnight the batteries 2- 1 year old batteries went down to 1/4 charged light. As soon as you turn on the converter breaker the battery level says 4/4 full charge?
tom.quart@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:11 AM   #2
RY469

Reverse polarity on the incoming (shore power) supply simply puts the "hot" wire on the common buss and the common to the hot side for your 120 VAC circuits. Things will work, but you risk possibility of shock by touching the metal of your RV and a common power point outside your unit (since the RV is insulated from ground by it's tires). It will not hurt your converter, it's dangerous for you.

The converter is a power supply, provides 12 VDC to all your "stuff" inside the unit. Like your lights, control power for your refer, power to the furnace, etc. It also charges and maintains your battery while connected to shore power. The battery provides power when you are mobile and/or NOT connected to shore power (or have your generator running). Your monitor panel will indicate a full battery when shore power is connected because the converter is providing. Disconnect your shore power and you will see true battery state on the monitor panel (1-4 led's typically).

If you want to test your converter and you have a multimeter, disconnect your battery. A fully charged battery should read around 12.7VDC. Your converter output (read the cable you disconnected off the battery with shore power connected) should be around 13.7VDC. With the battery connected and shore power connected, the voltage should be between those two points depending on your battery state of charge.

That was a mouthful, does it help?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote