Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Rick

Default Terrible fuel mileage

Hi. I have a 2005 crescendo cat 350 hp. I only get like 6 miles to the gallon This seems like something is way wrong here. Please give any advice. Also I have ran Lucas in it Did give it more power it seems. Only has 27k miles. Runs great just terrible mileage. Even driving 50 to 60 on Texas flat roads. Help
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

On my last Gulf Stream with the Cat C7 diesel, the fuel mileage was 7 mpg pulling our Ford Explore on a trip.

When we first purchased it new in 2004, it was only getting 4 mpg, Contacted Cat and they had me take it to Ohio Cat where they found they had installed the wrong fuel injectors in the engine. They supplied the correct injectors and had Ohio Cat install them and mileage jumped up to 8 mpg when it was not pulling the Explorer.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Rick

My class’s a is a 2005. I bought it used. Any recommendations. Ron , I am thinking something is amiss because my mileage is terrible. I hope something can be done. I need a honest company to help me
Old 08-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
mhhorowi

I'm not sure what is causing your issue, but I can tell you what caused some of our issues with low gas mileage and some performance issues. We've had multiple issues with fuel injector. These issues were not due to not changing the oil on a regular basis but instead from the Heui pump failures. We have also had a turbo failure. Lastly, we had an issue with high temperatures due to a radiator that needed to be removed and cleaned as it was clogged due to a lack of a blow by tube being installed and a leak caused when a gasket wasn't sealed after work on a fuel injector . We have also had some issues with fuel filters needing to be changed more often than you'd expect.

All that being said, I'd say you need to find a good shop that understands the CAT Engine. It's hard to find good labor these days. I'm actually still looking for a really good one.
mhhorowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Rick

Thank you. I want to know the man you finally find that knows cat. I recently had this one at a freighter dealer / service center and they didn’t do half of the work I asked them to do. Wow. I will never recommend freighter in Lubbock Texas to anyone. Please refer me to a good cat man if you find one. I’m scared to let anyone tinker with it after the experience I had in July 2018.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
mhhorowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Thank you. I want to know the man you finally find that knows cat. I recently had this one at a freighter dealer / service center and they didn’t do half of the work I asked them to do. Wow. I will never recommend freighter in Lubbock Texas to anyone. Please refer me to a good cat man if you find one. I’m scared to let anyone tinker with it after the experience I had in July 2018.
Freightliner in Tucson Arizona is pretty good; however, I haven't found anyone that I trust explicitly to do the right thing. I'm always making sure to ask questions and understand exactly what they have done to analyze the problem.
mhhorowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
RayChez1

Rick: I have the 3126-E Cat engine which is basically the same engine as the C-7. I get average around 8 MPG towing a 2018 Buick Envision ESS. But after reading your posts what I would do first is change the brand of air filter from what you have. It sounds to me like the filter is not feeding that turbo all the air it needs. I changed from a Farr & Wix air filters that I used to use to a Racor which you can get through the internet. As soon as I changed the air filter my coach had so much more power that it was unbelievable what a difference it made and it gets around 9 mpg pretty consistent.

I have also read that maybe the fuel system on your Cat engine needs to be re-flashed on the ECU.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Rick

Thank you. I have been taking my coach to a freight liner dealer and they install cat filters. I need desperately to find a mechanic that knows CAT inside and out.
Thank you for your time
Old 08-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #9
jamador1010

I would check air filter, and run overhead... In addition, check tire pressures consistently...And, tire tread can play a difference such as grippper vs. highway design as rolling resistance is key.
Blue Ox Avanti 2
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #10
Rick

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #11
jamador1010

Another thing to check is your pre-charge hoses and clamps, it is imperative they don't leak.
Blue Ox Avanti 2
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
Rick

I’m not sure what precharge hoses are but I will mention it to the mechanic shop
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #13
RayChez1

I think what he means by a precharge hose is the big hose that goes to the CAC.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
Rick

Thank you for you information