Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
tarheel

Default Another Slideout Issue

I started to leave our site this morning and my two bedroom slides on my 07 Tourmaster would not retract. After check all fuses and talking with Gulfstream, it appeared that I needed professional help, so I contacted a local RV mobile service. He talked to Gulf Stream several times and checked and tested everything that they suggested and nothing worked. There is no power to the two switches in the bedroom. When talking to Steve at Gulfstream, he wanted to be sure that my front seat was all the way forward and told me that the two bedroom slides went through the same safety contact as my front hydraulic slide, which I didn't know. The RVtech asked them for a set of prints and is now on his way back to his shop to get them.

I had previously brought the front hydraulic slide in preparing to leave. Since it appeared that we weren't going anyplace today, I attempted to put the hydraulic front slide back out and it is also dead now (it worked after the bedroom slides wouldn't). It now appears to me that the problem might be in the driver's seat safety device requiring the front seat to be all the way forward.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Dick
Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
stonesfan

Default Re: Another Slideout Issue

OH YES, We have had that Problem! Have the Service Tech Re-Wire Safety Switch under Driver's seat. Seems our's was too short, so when you would Swivel the
Seat around, it would Disconnect the Safety Switch. All Better now, but I'm still a little Gun Shy when it comes to turning the Seat around........................

Stoney
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
tarheel

Stoney-
Did the wire come loose from the little switch? It appears that mine is connected.

Dick
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
03heritagerider

We had the same issue as stonesfan. When swiveling the seat, it broke the switch. The wires were still connected. When I called the dealer and explained the problem, they suggested that I bypass the switch and connect the wires directly together. This disables the switch. I did it, and all worked. Had the switch replaced when we got home.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
stonesfan

The whole thing came apart! The Tech that Fixed it for us, said that when it was Wired at the Factory, they did not allow for much movement, thus it Pulled apart..............

Stoney
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
tarheel

Thanks guys, I finally got the hydraulic slide to work. I found some wiring under the seat that had been frayed and cut due to the seat movement as you've suggested. However, it still didn't have power to the switch when I repaired the wire. I finally pulled a fuse that was showing as good across both back terminals, but on further inspection, it was bad. Replace the fuse and it worked.

My initial problem with the two electric slides in the back was not as easy. There was still no power to the wall mounted switches and Gulf Stream couldn''t tell us where the power wire at the switch went. In order to get me going, the RV tech had all the Gulf Stream wiring diagrams emailed to him and they showed a wire going from the seat switch directly to the wall switch. Something evidently happened in between the two. He then bypassed the wall switch and installed two toggle switches that are wired to the relays under the bed where the wall switch was connected. The switches are hanging out the side of the bed for access. The slides now work, but the fix is not a good one. I guess when I get home, I'll have everlything checked again and see if it can be put back to normal.

Dick
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
jtking

We're having problem with large front slide(it's electric motor driven not hydraulic). First issue about a year ago wouldn't come in--fortunately parked in our driveway. I checked connections, breakers, seat switch, etc and could find no problem then tried slide again and it worked then and for the next year. Now it always (so far) goes out after being driven down the road and will usually come in if not much time elapses(a few hours). However, if you camp for a few days no dice! First time a couple weeks ago I cranked it in by hand with cresent wrench-not a lot of fun! Second time I bought an 18" piece of 1 1/4 inch galvanized pipe to add to the wrench handle for leverage. That works fairly easy--about 5 minutes to crank in.

I ordered a new slide control relay for under the bed. Installed today-no luck, jumpered out the seat switch, still no luck! Seems like one problem after another this summer!!

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions any one has.

John
Old 09-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
tarheel

John-
Have you checked your voltage when it acts that way? You might have a low voltage issue.

Dick
Old 09-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
jtking

The voltage between the B+ and B- terminals on the controller under the bed today was 12.9 and slide wouldn't work (in or out), and when I jumped the seat switch it sparked a little so I checked that and it was 12.8, seems like that should be enough.

John