Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
TexasTaylors

Default Looking for Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser 23RSS owners

Good morning,

We are about to pull the trigger on a purchase of a 2021 Vintage Cruiser, model 23RSS. Anyone on this forum pulling one of these? We plan to pull it with our 2020 Jeep Gladiator. Looks like the tow rating will be OK (rated at 6000#, the unit is ~4000# depending on options). But wondering if anyone is doing this and if there are lessons learned we should be aware of before we start this journey.

Would love to see pics of anyone who has one of these hooked up!

Thanks,
Nick
TexasTaylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
Chuck v

Nick,

You just make the "rule of thumb" for length of tow vehicle wheelbase versus trailer length with that combination. There have been other recent threads here on towing with shorter rigs, so you are not the worst offender... Here is the "rule" :

"the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length"

This formula makes you good for about 26 feet 3 inches... But the weight and the frontal area of the trailer are a few another things that may put you in a stressful towing situation.

The GVWR of that model trailer is 6480 lbs. This is the value you must be able to tow to avoid a white knuckle experience. A lot of old timers like myself recommend that you do not exceed 80% of the tow rating with the actual combination of trailer and loaded tow vehicle

Most owners are startled at how much a trailer weighs once all the factory options and personal belongings, groceries, and fluids are added in. Another consideration is how much 'stuff' is in the tow vehicle itself, as the tow rating is an otherwise empty vehicle and just the driver, weighing 150 lbs. I don't know about you, but I weigh more than that and would not be taking a trailer anywhere where I did not share the experience with other folks and they of course have stuff to bring as well.

Is this your first towing experience? You will need a good weight distribution hitch and sway control system plus a quality proportional brake controller. You need quality tow mirrors with a good view around that wide trailer as well. Take your time and do not set a tight time schedule to be anywhere. Your first outing should include a trip to the scales to see just what you are dealing with in actual fact.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
TexasTaylors

Thanks Chuck. I agree with much of what you have said. Good WDH and brake controller are a must and are part of our plan. I've spent most of my life pulling stock trailers, boats, and big food trucks. But first time I've tried to pull anything with the Gladiator, so doing a lot of thinking before buying.

I hadn't seen the wheelbase formula before - thanks for that. So the Gladiator wheelbase is 137" (just went and measured it to validate the spec), so per the formula you provided we should be good to 20" + (137-110)/4 = 26.75' as you say.

I see weight as the biggest challenge. Depending on the options on the unit, some of these go around 4100#, so we will need to exercise some discipline to stay under 80%. We don't plan to boondock, so traveling with empty tanks should be easy to do. Payload in the Gladiator is probably the nearest limit, as the tongue weight + 2 adults almost gets us to the payload limit.

We also don't plan any mountain travel - mostly north central Texas so not planning on climbing hills, etc.

Thanks for the advice - still thinking about options here.
TexasTaylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:56 PM   #4
Ldubs

With the spec's provided, I think you can potentially be pushing things with that tow vehicle. BTW, I wouldn't be too worried about going up hill. It is coming downhill and stopping that would concern me.

Sorry to be a downer. I hope you can figure it out and have a safe experience.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 AM   #5
Flower

I agree that the 23RSS may be to large and heavy for the Jeep Gladiator. I would look for a smaller camper or a larger tow vehicle. I like the looks of the Jeep Gladiator it looks like a great vehicle for camping but I think a smaller camper than the 23RSS would be a wiser choice. Don't want to sound negative but my own experience it's better to have a tow vehicle that has good control over the trailer it's towing.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
Chuck v

TexasTaylors,

Just to recap my experiences towing a 20 foot full width camp trailer with a gross weight of 4200 lbs. By the way, it did not have a slide, so it was not as tall and therefore not as much frontal area as the one you are considering.

I started towing the trailer with my 6 cyl Ford Aerostar extended van which had a WB of 119 inches. Used a good WDH and brake controller and had air lifts on the back axle. OK on short trips on flat terrain, but very tedious on any longer trips of even just a few hours.

Changed to the 1997 1/2 ton extended cab pickup with V8 (WB of 142 inches...) on which I put disc brakes on the rear axle, upgraded brakes on the front, air lifts and full tow package, and swapped the stock 3.73 final drive gearing on both axles to 4.10 for better abilities in the steep hills of forestry roads when hunting. Made a world of difference!! I still have this truck and it has just 37,000 miles on it today.

As I have said before, take you rig to the scales when you are loaded for a camping trip and check out the actual weights. You might be surprised how much more than you think your tow vehicle actually weighs, and you will definitely learn how much stuff you have in the trailer itself.

Travel safe!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
canyan

Default Gulfstream vintage cruiser 23BHS

Hi I have a 23 BHS Vintage Cruiser and tow with a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI and have towed it around the east coast of Canada without any issues the trailer tows great the width and front curved roof line make for less wind drag and doesn’t get blown around when passing or being passed by large vehicles.If you need information about towing setups a great website is Can Am Rv in London Ontario Andy Thompson is a great source of information on towing with different vehicles he is well respected in this field and has a lot of experience.

Good Luck Clark
canyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #8
Wmck

Whatever you do thoroughly inspect the trailer before you buy. Look closely at the at how they constructed the drawers and cabinets as well as under all seats and the water heater cabinet. The production quality is inconsistent.
Wmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #9
cal258

Default vintage cruiser 23rss

Hi
Have the 23 rss in the woody version and with an equal-i-zer weight dist hitch it pulls really smooth and straight, only a little wind push from semi's blasting by at 75 mph. Have a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra extcab which does the job quite well. Hopefully your Jeep can do it if you don't overload it. Everywhere we go people want to see it and the inside. It's a very comfortable RV especially if you replace the mattress with something nicer. Take care.
Rich Callahan
Barboursville, VA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1353 2.jpg (230.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.jpg (234.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0744.jpg (240.7 KB, 3 views)
cal258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #10
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyan View Post
Hi I have a 23 BHS Vintage Cruiser and tow with a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI and have towed it around the east coast of Canada without any issues the trailer tows great the width and front curved roof line make for less wind drag and doesn’t get blown around when passing or being passed by large vehicles.If you need information about towing setups a great website is Can Am Rv in London Ontario Andy Thompson is a great source of information on towing with different vehicles he is well respected in this field and has a lot of experience.

Good Luck Clark

I bookmarked that website so I can circle back around when I have more time. It sure looks like a lot of good info. Thanks for sharing.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
canyan

Default Mattress replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal258 View Post
Hi
Have the 23 rss in the woody version and with an equal-i-zer weight dist hitch it pulls really smooth and straight, only a little wind push from semi's blasting by at 75 mph. Have a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra extcab which does the job quite well. Hopefully your Jeep can do it if you don't overload it. Everywhere we go people want to see it and the inside. It's a very comfortable RV especially if you replace the mattress with something nicer. Take care.
Rich Callahan
Barboursville, VA
Great points especially the mattress replacement we thought it was only us the mattress in our trailer was awful.we have a Murphy bed in ours we love the convenience of having the space during the day.But when it came to replacing it was difficult because of the configuration and size asked Gulfstream if they had a upgraded mattress nothing available.We had a foam manufacture make foam to fit what a difference.
canyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
cal258

We bought ours from mattress insider, bought the short queen 8 inch thick and its the best!
cal258 is offline   Reply With Quote