Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #61
RayChez1

Have you tried the dealer where you bought the coach? When my coach was new I had a slight problem with one of the slide guides making a squeaking noise while we were driving down a road in Florida. I called Gulfstream and they checked to see what shop was available that could fix it. They sent me to a shop in Wildwood, Florida called Covenant. It is about a mile away from the big Monaco shop. Fact it used to be the main Monaco shop before. When Monaco absorbed Safari coaches they had so many problems with cracks on the beams that they had to open a bigger shop to take in a bunch of coaches. Anyways I took my coach to Covenant and they realiened my slide. They also replaced the whole seal on the big slide. I have not had any problem with my coach in about four years now. Knock on wood!
I am not sure how the TourMaster slide is configured, but it sounds like a guide might have gotten out of adjustment or might have broken. Lot of dealerships will work on problems pertaining to slides. I think I would try them before I drove all the way to Nappanee, Ind.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #62
David Bott

Hello...

Well, my dealer was Dick Gores in Jacksonville. So that is kind of out.

I am currently working with Gulf Stream to get into a dealer in PA. 5 Hours from us or so. We do have a dealer 45 mins from here, but we used them once and well, put it this way, it did not go over well. (Figures)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #63
rdlamb

David:
You said you replaced the Bell crank, with a Super Steer model?
Is the factory Bell crank not sufficient?
I've heard something about this, from another TM owner, but did not find any recalls or other messages from owners that the factory bell crank is not sufficient for the TM.
Where did you purchase, and install said crank?
Nice follow-through on your posts.
Thanks

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #64
David Bott

Hi...(Sorry for the delay, I am not getting my notices about thread updates. )

It is not needed, it is just a differnt type. It using barrings vs compression. Seeing it uses barrings it moves more freely and take less effort.

You can find more about the product here...

http://www.ssrvowners.com

Bell Crank...(ss100 model)

http://ssrvowners.com/uncategorized/sup ... nk-arms-2/

http://ssrvowners.com/uncategorized/ss100-bell-crank/

I also HIGHLY recommend the SuperSteer Motion Control check valves. It is Night and Day!

http://ssrvowners.com/uncategorized/sup ... ol-unit-2/

As far as install of either of these products, their are dealers where you can just purchase them, or buy direct, and any truck shop should be able to put them on. (even Camping World sells and installs)

Take care.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #65
RayChez1

I think all motorhomes have Flexsteel furniture. Now as to the arms on the drivers seat and passenger, they are adjustable. On the front of the arm is a button that you pull up and adjust either up, middle or down.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #66
rdlamb

Thank you for the info. Will be back in Oregon this spring, and will look into both the bell crank and steer motion devices.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #67
David Bott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
I think all motorhomes have Flexsteel furniture. Now as to the arms on the drivers seat and passenger, they are adjustable. On the front of the arm is a button that you pull up and adjust either up, middle or down.
Sadly this is not the case. GS chose to switch to a "cheaper" seat in their flag ship coaches. They use to be Flexsteel, then they changed, go figure. They are VERY POOR SEATS that we have.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #68
wdawsonsr

Send a message via AIM to wdawsonsr
Default 2008 Tour Master T40F

I have a response to the level of quality control & design on the Tour Master. This is our 4th motorhome. I have always figured when buying new you might as well figure it will take a year to get the bugs out. Our last motorhome was a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery (our 3rd Discovery). We purchased the coach in AZ. By the time we got home to NH we had 24 items on our "punch" list. I thought this was terrible. But I contacted Fleetwood & faxed them my list. They responded with the name of the nearest dealer & all was well within two months. In the winter no less.

We now live in Albany, OR. We purchased our 2008 Tour Master T40F at an RV Show in Eugene, OR on 1/26/08. Our first trip to CA the first of Feb gave us a list of 61 items. Such things as windshield wipers stalling at full extension when travelling in moderate to high winds. It's really nice when you're driving at night in driving rain/snow mix on a two lane road. when we arrived in the first town we found that the door on the water manifold bay had popped open. Duct tape to the rescue. After arriving in CA I found that the door latch was not adjusted properly. Using some washers from my toolbox I was able to position the latch to that it stays latched. Gulf Stream would not authorize aligning two other doors.

To date the windshield wipers still stall & lift from the corner of the windshield, even after a new motor. The pop-up TV lift has never worked properly. Since last April we have been having water remain on the 28' Slide-out roof when retracted. Wiper seals have been replaced. Our dealer in Coburg, OR went out of business last Nov. Since the first of the year Gulf Stream had us take the coach to a dealer in Portland (90mi). It has been there 3 times so far. Yesterday I went to pick up the coach. As the Tech was about to go over the repairs made. I noticed a small puddle of water on the dining table. I immediately checked the light fixture. Sure enough, as I jiggled the fixture a steady stream started to flow out of the slide-out ceiling. Last Nov this happened the first time. I had to remove the fixture. A 20q pail was fiiled twice in a two day period. Needless to say, I didn't bring the coach home from the dealer yesterday. There were many quality control items througout the coach. Our first dealer, Paradise RV, took care of most of them. The ceiling of the big slide has sagged at least 1" or more in the center over the dining table. Johnson RV in Portland jacked the ceiling up & installed a 10' long steel angle behind the wood facia with Gulf Stream approval. However the roof of the slide-out sags between frames allowing water to pool when you bring the slide in which allows water to come down the drivers neck the first time you hit the brakes. Gulf Stream doesn't even supply beach towels for the front & rear of the slide to catch the water.

There are a lot of features we like, namely the two bathrooms, Freightliner chassis & Cummins engine. I'm very unhappy with factory responce. At the beginning I requested plumbing & wiring diagrams. I was informed they do not give these out. My guess is they don't have a clue how it was wired or plumbed. It probably depends who was on the floor at the time the coach was built. When I contacted Fleetwood they provided the schematics within a week. This was on used '97, '99 & new '04. So far the coach has been in a shop for 3-1/2 months total. Twice at 1 mo at a time. Yesterday I tried to email Aron Druesdow but it was kicked back. I called the factory today & left a voicemail with service.

I would like to here from some of you with your experiences.
2005 Jeep Liberty
7 cats
wdawsonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #69
RayChez1

I must be one of the lucky guys, I guess. I had some issues when the coach was brand new in 2003, but hey were all handled at the dealer where I bought the coach. And they were all handled either the same day, no more then two days. Knock on wood, but I have not had any trouble with my coach in the last four and ahalf years. Actually it runs and handles better now that it is broken in then when it was brand new. I don't have the TourMaster, but I have what used to be the Flag ship in 02-03 and that is the Scenic Cruiser. I have not called Gulf Stream in years, but at that time they were very responsive to issues.
Now I notice you mentioned Fleetwood coaches. I have friends that have Fleetwood coaches and they have basicly the same problems everybody else has. Fact Fleetwood claimed chapter 11 today and will have to reorganize and they might go belly up just like Country Coach, Monaco and others. We are lucky Gulf Stream is still holding on and that is because it is a family owned business that does not depend on wall street.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #70
11B

wdawsonar, I bought a 2007 and on the few issuses I had was handeled in short order by the factory with no complaints. I delt mainly with the western region sales manger at GS who has since been laid off. But he has been relaced by another rep whos name I don't have but number I do, may I suggest you call HIM at 800-289-8787, ext. 3734 and chat over your problems. It would seem to me GS would want to handle your problems.

Good Luck and let us know if this works for you.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #71
wdawsonsr

Default Thanks for the replies

Many thanks for your inputs. Just a few minutes ago I left a message for Brian Atkinson the Western Regional Sales Mgr. He is the one we met when we bought our unit. A few months later I tried to call him. A new person answered his extension & told me Brian was no longer with the company. A couple of weeks later I was informed that person was no longer there. Now apparently Brian is back?

It's just hard to believe once coach could have so many problems. If it weren't so far to Indiana I would be at the factory in a heartbeat. I like to think we are making progress. I just talked to Johnson RV & they think they have tracked down the source of the leak in the slide-out ceiling & are now contacting the factory for recommendations.

Thanks again
2005 Jeep Liberty
7 cats
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #72
David Bott

Hey All...

Yes, we still feel the pain that was mentioned above.

Our 2008 GS T-40B is again at a shop for more issues.

1) The entire driver side center of the coach has dropped down. The main slide about 1", the cargo doors, the hot water tank door flexing out.

2) The wipers, like above, stopped working in the open position.

3) The front end A/C Thermo switch stopped and thus no front end A/V while driving.

4) The master slide front window needs to be replaced.

So, it is in the shop about to be torn apart looking to see why the side had dropped.

All in all we will love of Tour Master as soon as we can really use it without to much worry. Responses from GS as of late are S L O W! I have sent in a few e-mails now for some information on our coach and have received no response. Simple thing like... What version Freightliner frame is it on? No response.

I also AGREE...Give us the dam wiring and plumbing layouts!!! This is a MUST to have in case you have an issue on the road and need to maybe trace something on your own. To not supply the is a total dis-service.

From the number of views of this thread...5219 and counting (Largest in this sites history )... it is clear that their is an interest in the Tour Master and I would think that GS would really want to keep that good foot forward.

BUT HEY!!! Thanks to the GREAT, and I man GREAT, people at Freightliner, we can now drive the coach nice and smooth without shaking the driver side mirror mount screw out so the mirror was not usable. (Yes, it was THAT bad. It was not fun to drive.)

Take care all.

(Side note...I do not get to respond to this or my PM's as I would like as I do not get the thread or PM notifications as the e-mail address the board sends from is not correctly formatted and is refused. Thus I forget to check in.)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #73
David Bott

Just a quick followup...

It seems that the drive side sidewalls had dropped down because their are nothing holding them in place. The only thing holding it was the glue/silicon for the molding that covered the upper and lower seams. Thus over time and vibration, is slowly moved down and out of place.

The service center fabricated brackets that were then screwed to the steal framing and then epoxy was used to bond it to the outside wall. (Or something like that.) In any case, the show not slide down any more.

What was suppose to hold them in place? No clue. I still have not received a call back from Gulf Stream in over 2 weeks. So much for the Gold Program.

Looking to get back on the road mid April and head down to the Keys for a few weeks. But first I need to get the coach ready again after the winter. This is but another first for us.

Take care all.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #74
rdlamb

Hi David:
We also have a TM, thus am interested in your problems personally, as well as wanting to help whenever I can.

Do you have the full side, slide model? What "slid" down? Our coach has not had any problems with the exterior siding sliding down, but I need to know what to look for.

Thanks, and Kudos for getting the thing fixed. By the way, with Monaco, Country Coach, and Marathon all going into bankruptcy, it looks like we chose well.
Rick

Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #75
David Bott

Hi Rick...

Sorry for the delay as I still do not receive e-mail about posts being made to the thread as the address used here is not a fully qualified one.

In any case, it was the panel to the left of the hot water tank door. Not only did that panel slide down, but from that point forward under the lip of the slide also did. It started to just touch the cargo doors under the slide.

We are suppose to get the coach back next week as the window that was sent in did not fit. Yes, you read that right. We also needed a window and it seems that the manufacturer that made the window went out of busniess. Gulf Stream has a new provider, but the windows are thicker and as such, the ring around the window that holds it in, is to thin and will not work.

So now they are trying to get a ring that will work. You would THINK that Gulf Stream would have a clue. After all, they knew what was being replaced, our coach was built and should have sent ALL THE NEEDED PARTS! But nope...at this point it has been 3 days of the service center just trying to get someone who knows what they need. ("What do you mean it does not fit?")

Oh, I have a T-40B which is has the front slide that stops at just before the bathroom.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #76
rdlamb

David:

You sure have put up with enough bad things without driving your coach up someone's keister.
I am amazed, and now worried, that the side panels are glued on. I sure hope this is not true.
My coach is the T40D, two slide. I wanted the bed to face the front of the coach. My phobia is to be able to look straight down the coach to be sure the noise I heard was not something bad.

All told, however, the TM has been a wonderful coach. Thanks for your reply.
Rick

Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #77
David Bott

BTW...

Though all this with the driving issues I did find some great products. The best one was this...

http://supersteersuperstop.com/uncatego ... ol-unit-2/

These are SO GREAT. Very night and day difference.

Also... I just though of this...maybe the cause the panels to sliding down was the shaking issue we had for so long until the great people at Freightliner helped. That the vibration was so bad it would actually loosen the drive side mirror. I would have to stop to tighten and finely added lock-tight to the threads.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #78
wdawsonsr

Default Update on Problems

Rick & David:
I am greatly interested in your post about trials & tribulations. I have 08 T40F with a 28' slide on the driver's side. Right now it is in the shop in Portland, OR going on it's 5th week there. We have been fighting water leaks in the slide since last April. I just got off of the phone with the tech in Portland. He tells me the slide is totally dry. We had two water problems. Water was getting in the ceiling of the slide & draining out of the Dining light fixture to the tune of a couple of gallons of water in 24 hrs in constant rain. The other problem which occured first was standing water on the slide when it was retracted. This was caused by two problems. One was the ceiling frame had sagged about an inch above the Dining table. The other was the wiper seal was not wiping the slide roof dry. After reenforcing the ceiling frame with a steel angle iron & installing a larger wiper seal the tech says it has no standing water. They found the slide roof panel had unsealed at the outside wall. That has been resealed.

Another problem from last February is the headlights will not stay adjusted. It seems the upper part of the headlight assembly has no support. I believe the fix was to fiberglas something to attach to to for support.

The last item to be resolved is the windshield wipers stalling at full extension in moderate to high winds. Supposedly this is a linkage timing problem but the tech is still waiting for a return call from Jim Creech at the factory. Lack of factory response has been a major problem since day one. Not a good way to run an airline in my book.

David. I enjoyed your website with pics & adventure tales. We lived in northern, NH for 35 yrs before moving to Albany, OR 3yrs ago today. Seeing your garage makes me yearn once more for the 30'x48' heated garage we left back there. Oh well.

I should know later today is we can pick up the coach tomorrow.

Regards,
Ed Dawson
2005 Jeep Liberty
7 cats
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #79
rdlamb

Hello Ed, and welcome to the forum.

We bought our coach in Colburg, from Paradise RV. I understand they are out of business. To bad, as they had a shop manager who really cared, and a tech who knew his business.

Do you have slide awnings?
I believe the light fixture is on the ceiling of the slide, so water has to penetrate into the ceiling in order to run out of the fixture.

Are you receiving good service from your dealer?
Inquiring mind, I know, but we occasionally make it back to Oregon.

Oh, Colburg has a great Freightliner and Cummins shop. You can get your coach serviced at the local truck stop as well.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #80
David Bott

Hi...

Also welcome Ed.

Yes, we also have the wiper issue and that is also to be looked at while they have the coach. Some dealers we have found are great when comes to some things, and really slow down when it comes to others.

Dick Gores RV in Jacksonville is outstanding in each regard. While up here in upstate NY...The service center has no issue with body work, but dang, when it goes to the little things, humm...it is days. (Thermo switch replacement, check for an oil leak on the generator, fix the wiper issue.) Items that would be like maybe 2 hours. The coach has been out of the body shop from last Friday, a week ago today, and yet they still have not been able to do that list of other work/checks.) (well, putting the window trim issue aside they could have still got the other items done.)

Our main slide has the slide awning over it when it comes out, as all do. Seeing the slide is so long, not as long as yours with the T-40F, when it rains, it collects water on the awning. It is tight, but still drops in the middle. As such, when we bring in the slide, we need t0 go SLOW and let the water poor off the front and back. Go to fast and it may come into the coach and or really get the side of the coach wet. (Think waterfall.)

It is one of my pet peeves as the roller it rolls up on too week and bows in the middle. Can not tighten it more as then it bows more.

Glad you like our trip blog. We travel again on April 13th as long as I can get the coach ready. LOL
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad