Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
GSNewb

Default Under cabinet touch lights

So, my chrome bezel touch led lights above my dinette seem to like to come on on their own now. What could be causing them to randomly come on? What do I need to do to fix this issue?
My rig has been plugged in while I was away with one of the surge guard ems things. Nothing weird on that end. All other lights turn on and off like normal with switches. It’s just these touch sensitive lights that seem to be temperamental.
I would love to be able to sleep through the night without the light waking me up!
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 051312EE-696F-49D8-8B48-5D4328F8B81C.jpg (217.2 KB, 8 views)
GSNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
[email protected]

Surely someone has some insight into this problem. Our 2021 BT Cruiser is developing the same issues raised by GSNewb..
Help us out please.
Bill
bnd1026@frontier.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Yukon Jack

I found this on the web ;
Touch lamps are just trouble waiting to happen. The control is very sensitive and susceptible to all kinds of misoperations. Any type of RFI, such as cell phones, cordless phones, and computers can cause these things to come on and off. They are also a rich source of RFI in and of themselves.
Further research tells the story that pulses in the electric supply circuit can also cause problems. I find that moisture in the area can change the operation..
Why it has just started is odd. What has changed in the environment?
The metal ring is touching the wood it is installed in. You could put in a switch.
Others may have some better ideas.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #4
[email protected]

Yukon Jack
Many thanks, unfortunately you confirmed what I suspected..
Guess we just cope with this issue until frustration gets too high and we simply replace them with switched puck lights.
Seems like getting cute and fancy sometimes might not be the best idea.
Regards,
Bill
bnd1026@frontier.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
lplewis

Where can I buy a replacement light to match existing on 5210 year 2021?
A part is loose inside and the light stays on.
lplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:27 PM   #6
Yukon Jack

This might work ;
https://www.amazon.com/Yarkove-Dimma...96149327&psc=1
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
JBT5255

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yukon Jack
Many thanks, unfortunately you confirmed what I suspected..
Guess we just cope with this issue until frustration gets too high and we simply replace them with switched puck lights.
Seems like getting cute and fancy sometimes might not be the best idea.
Regards,
Bill
I know this is a late response, but a good friend just found this thread and directed me to it. We purchased a 2021 BT Cruiser 5255 from my wife's family. We've replaced 2 of the touch puck lights twice each. One night while we were camping, one of the lights turned on by itself and would not turn off. The light got very hot and I had to cut the power to the light to turn it off. I contacted Gulfstream, and they were nice enough to send replacement lights. I recently had the electrical system inspected by an independent service center and they confirmed that my converter / 12volt electrical system is outputting the correct voltage. They believe the problem is with the cheaply made touch lights and suggested replacing them with puck lights that have an on / off switch.
In my opinion, this is a potential saftey issue that Gulfstream should address. If you review the enclosed picture, you will see the burned spot on the light where it malfunctioned. it got very hot (too hot to touch). I would much rather have simple reliable overhead lights with an on/off switch than lights that is supposed to create some sort of "wow" factor by having them come on by touching the side.
Hopefully by now, Gulfstream will realize that I am not the only person who has had bad experience with faulty puck lights, and they will be inclined to do something about it.
Before purchasing this RV, my father-in-law had a 2019 class c that was from a different manufacturer. It caught on fire by itself while parked. Thank God, no one was inside! The experience with the 2019 makes our Family very concerned about potential fire hazards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22EA2381-3584-437A-BA2E-B9DBBB8846FF.jpg (313.8 KB, 13 views)
JBT5255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #8
JulieS

It's interesting to see I'm not alone with this problem! I have a 2022 Conquest RV 6250 and have had the same problem with the touch lights and it's driving me crazy. It sounds like replacement is the only solution.

It's very frustrating to learn that this is a known problem and the manufacturer isn't addressing it.
JulieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:44 AM   #9
JBT5255

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
It's interesting to see I'm not alone with this problem! I have a 2022 Conquest RV 6250 and have had the same problem with the touch lights and it's driving me crazy. It sounds like replacement is the only solution.

It's very frustrating to learn that this is a known problem and the manufacturer isn't addressing it.
We ended up replacing the lights in the two locations where they would blow with different puck lights with a manual on/off switch. We didn’t have any more problems after that. We have since traded in the coach for a travel trailer since our needs have changed.
Good luck with your coach! It sounds like you have a nice one! Unfortunately there seems to be potential issues with any of the manufacture brands regardless of price, especially when they are new. You may have heard that it’s driving a house through a hurricane during an earthquake! That’s why it’s important to try to have the major issues addressed within the warranty period.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:29 PM   #10
RVIsFun3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post

Just ordered a 2024 6250 - will be watching out for this now. Not sure when it will come, maybe 3-4 months. Any tips/tricks you've learned with yours?
RVIsFun3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:53 PM   #11
JBT5255

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVIsFun3700 View Post
Just ordered a 2024 6250 - will be watching out for this now. Not sure when it will come, maybe 3-4 months. Any tips/tricks you've learned with yours?
We found that a toy hauler travel trailer suited our needs better than a Motorhome. So we traded in our BT Cruiser on a Grand Design Momentum.
The only advice I can offer is to keep a list of any issues that happen and make sure they are addressed before the warranty runs out. As you’re probably aware, it’s not uncommon for problems to develop within the first year. But once the bugs are worked out, you should have a solid RV. We added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and that helped to tighten the steering. You also may want to add a “Gas Stop” safety valve to the propane tank for safety purposes. I’m sure there will also be other things you will want to do to customize it to suit your needs. Just have fun and use it.
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #12
[email protected]

That happened to me one time in my 6328. It was the one under the kitchen cabinet. I cleaned the trim ring and have not an issue since. Coincidence? I don't know. I guess we will see.
awgentile@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote