Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
ekomalley

Default Emergency Start Switch

We have an emergency start switch which was shown as an option installed by the manufacturer. There is nothing in the Owners manual so have no clue what it is for. Thanks for any info.
ekomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
jayme

If your vehicle battery is inoperable (dead), you can use the emergency switch, which uses your house battery(s) to start your vehicle
jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I have also used it to start the generator, when the coach battery was going bad. HANDY, but you do not need to leave it on all the time, it bypasses the diodes that prevent undesired discharge
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:42 PM   #4
miataroadster

Default Use to trickle charge engine battery?

I know you could turn on this emergency start switch to jump start the engine battery. BUT is it good idea to leave it on for a few hours from time to time in order to trickle charge the truck(engine) battery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230216_125907.jpg (208.6 KB, 4 views)
miataroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:37 AM   #5
THenne1713

I DO EXACTLY THAT WITH MINE OCCASIONALLY, to occasionally top off my chassis battery, and it is Continuous Duty RATED. I did replace my SOLENOID last year, as it wud CLUNK but not connect, however, it was 22-yo. It can also be the Other way at 5am to start GEN when the furnace ran your coach battery down
Old 02-17-2023, 08:41 PM   #6
miataroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
I DO EXACTLY THAT WITH MINE OCCASIONALLY, to occasionally top off my chassis battery, and it is Continuous Duty RATED. I did replace my SOLENOID last year, as it wud CLUNK but not connect, however, it was 22-yo. It can also be the Other way at 5am to start GEN when the furnace ran your coach battery down
That's good to know! Mine is old too and I hope I wont have to hear that clunk anytime soon.Thanks.
miataroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #7
BPeschka

Default Bi-directional?

My switch is spring loaded (wrong term) so I have to hold it down to start. It hadn’t occurred to me that you could use it to start the generator when the coach battery is low.

2004 BT Cruiser 2051

The switch is quite a clever function.

2004 BT Cruiser 5210
Class C
BPeschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:16 AM   #8
Chuck v

Yes the emergency start switch is a momentary function requiring it to be pressed to work, and returning to OFF when you stop pressing. This is as it should be, because connecting batteries of different ages, types and manufacturers in parallel long term is detrimental to performance, cell life and charging response.

The emergency start switch is a relay/solenoid implemented equivalent to jumper cables...and as such should be used only when needed and for short duration.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:53 PM   #9
Darbgnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
It can also be the Other way at 5am to start GEN when the furnace ran your coach battery down
Unless at 5am your batteries were completely toasted by the furnace to the point the generator wouldn't stay running without the switch held or a booster pack on the house batteries....... doh!
Darbgnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:27 AM   #10
THenne1713

Sounds like CONVERTER OFF/ TRIPPED? (because e.g.) my old, old Magna says it can put the full 45a into battery when needed, so once GEN started & online, CONVERTER SHOULD take over all 12vdc FUNCTIONS NEEDED. Even if you have the smaller 25a max?
Old 03-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #11
RY469

I agree with "Chuck V" the E-start switch engages the solenoid that connects house to chassis batteries AND it is an >INTERMITANT< duty solenoid, not a continuous duty solenoid. Used to start your coach when the chassis is low, using the house batteries. You can burn it out prematurely using it long term to charge both banks. Better to get a DC-to-DC battery charger and connect it to charge chassis batteries (from house side) while plugged into shore power.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #12
Chuck v

Manual use of the 'emergency start switch' should be limited to short duration as noted several places above and for those RVs that do not have a shore power means to charge the chassis battery can be added as I did.

There is another battery interconnect system that exists in most rigs however that allows the engine alternator to charge all battery banks when the engine is running, and this system has a controller to ensure that the connection is only present when charge conditions are appropriate for the various banks. This capability is usually called a "BIRD" which is an acronym for Bidirectional Isolator Relay Delay and the controller has both delay times and threshold voltages to actuate and stay actuated. This is far different than the 'unattended' or manual emergency start switch.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote