Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
MrHempel2U

Default Gulfstream owners What do you think ???

I was wanting to get your take on this .... Are Cavalier (FEMA) owners looked down upon in the GS community or are the greated as just another member under the blanket of GS ownership ??? As for me I own a Cavalier and do have a great since of pride of ownership, now it's no top of the line Rv but it's mine ! Just wanted your thoughts on them .
MrHempel2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
holmesaw

Default Re: Gulfstream owners What do you think ???

Don't see any reason why they should be looked down on. As far as I am concerned, welcome to the forum.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
03heritagerider

I've heard a lot of negative things about "FEMA" units from hurricane Rita and Katrina fame, but assumed the bad ones were removed from circulation.

Also, until you used the name "Cavalier", I had no idea they were FEMA units.

Besides, who cares? You're out there RVing with the rest of us. I, for one, welcome you.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
MrHempel2U

Hey thanks guys , It really didn't matter to me , just curious I guess
We love camping and have owned campers before ,there's something about the vibe you get at the campgrounds that you just can't get at a hotel . The Cavalier we bought from Campers unlimited was fully reconditioned and virtually brand new. My wife and I have gone through it adding our own personal touches and since we were able to get it for less than 4 grand we can outfit it with options that we want .

It just made sense to buy it , it was the best way we could get back in to Rving
and continue to make the same memories with our three girls that I had growing up .
MrHempel2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHempel2U
it was the best way we could get back in to Rving and continue to make the same memories with our three girls that I had growing up .
There you go!

You don't need any more reasons than that.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Timothy

If anybody looks down at you because of what you camp in they have the problem not you! Have fun and enjoy your camper and welcome to the Gulf Steam owners family!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
JRFWallis09

We used to pull around a beautiful- small (20ft) Lance trailer, invariably parked next to a big fancy motor home. I would sometimes feel awkward--as if we we're the " lower class" in the "camping" world. Now, we own as of a few weeks ago-a 32ft 2001 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. 13+ years old. Though she looks nice-no comparison to those big fancy newer beasts. I don't care, we intend to enjoy all the life she's left in her-hoping it's a lot!!(at least til she's paid for) Can't keep up with the Jones- if ya wanna get out, adventure, and have some fun!
Purchased-June 2014
JRFWallis09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Rick&Jenny

Hi I'm new to board. We are going to look at a 1992 Gulfstream diesel sunvoyager. The price sounds alright @ $9900.00. Mileage at 60k and photos look good. I'm not knowledgeable on this size of RV. I will have it checked out by a service center, but are there areas I should be concerned about considering it age? Is there anyone on board who has a similar RV? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Rick&Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
meh

Has anyone had problems with their 2008 Gulf Stream Endura Max Gladiator 6370HC? Is it true Gulf Stream does not make motorhomes anymore?
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
03heritagerider

I don't have that model, but as fare as I know, Gulf Stream is out of the Motorized business.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
tarheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHempel2U
I was wanting to get your take on this .... Are Cavalier (FEMA) owners looked down upon in the GS community or are the greated as just another member under the blanket of GS ownership ??? As for me I own a Cavalier and do have a great since of pride of ownership, now it's no top of the line Rv but it's mine ! Just wanted your thoughts on them .
Here's how I remember the advent of the so called FEMA trailers. Shortly after Katrina, my wife and I volunteered for months helping families rebuild their homes and their lives in the Biloxi, MS area. During that time I witness the delivery or numerous FEMA trailers. In the beginning they were buying all the already produced trailers that were available. Some that I witnessed were top of the line. Manufacturers immediately began producing units as fast as they could to meet FEMA's demand. When these units arrived, some were built to their normal specs and some were produced without a lot of whistles and bells, but appeared to be very livable. To me, most looked the same externally. I was in or around dozens of them and I didn't see anything wrong except some lacked interior quality control, such as plumbing leaks, etc, probably because of their hasty construction. Also, some of them were never used. I saw storage yards in that area a year or two after that were full of new units and I don't know if there were ever used. I'm sure that these units were sold at some pretty good prices and some were abused to the point that they were not salable or usable.

I would continue enjoying your unit, taking pride in it, and not worry about what anyone thinks. I'm sure no one would know that your unit was produced during Katrina. If you're parked next to me, and probably everyone else, we won't know how or when your unit was produced. If you're next to me, I'll probably invite you to have a seat and offer you a drink!