Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
Jill

Default What type of satellite dish works best?

Rather than get the electronics package, which included 30" LCD, Low-profile satellite, GPS/MP3 system, we are going to have the dealer install a satellite system. Our current Damon has the old style dish and we never used it--we usually just hooked up to cable wherever we were, so we don't have any experience in using satellite in an rv.

I've been researching and the King Dome sounds pretty good--does anyone have any thoughts on it, or on your system--likes/dislikes, what we should avoid, tripod or mounted on the top?

Thanks in advance,

Jill

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Jill,

We have the KVH Tracvision S2 dome dish. It works okay, but I feel it is slow in locking on the satellite. On our other coach we had the Winegard manual crank-up dish with the digital magic indicator for the elevation. I actually liked the Winegard better than the Tracvision. I was able to set it up and locate the satellite within a couple of minutes at most, sometimes the tracvision takes up to 5 to 10 minutes to locate the satellite.

I have heard a lot of people that have the King Dome really like them, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Jill

Thanks, Ron. I've also read that trees can cause a problem with reception and this is why some like to set up their satellite on a tripod. Seems like a pain to me, but then again, if the reception is spotty on the roof, then maybe it's worth the trouble?

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Jill,

Both of our dish were/are roof mounted and in four years we were only in one site where there was a problem with using them, but we were there just overnight so it didn't matter.

We also carry a tripod and a separate dish in a compartment. But like I said, we have never used it in four years.

Guess we have been lucky. But when checking in I usually specify that I would like a site that is satellite friendly and when I can pick my own site, I usually watch so that they are no obstructions.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #5

I have the King Dome Trac King model. It is the in motion type and works beautifully. I don't do anything to it, except turn the tv on. It does take 30-45 seconds to acquire the signal when initially powered on. Apart from that it is completely automatic. I have driven from Florida to Alaska and back without any problems. (the reception faded away the farther I went north in Canada, but this was a directv problem and not the king dome.) It was not the cheapest system, but certainly is one of the easiest to use IMHO
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
coolchas11

Jill, we have an automatic Winegard system with Dish TV. With a clear shot it works very well, but the slightest obstruction will cause a long adjustment period. We have no experience with other manufacturers. Charlie
Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Texas TC

I have the Winegard Movin'View automatic in motion. It works very well. I had the stationary on a previous coach (Same brand) and it worked well also. I ordered the stationary for this coach but the dealer accidentally installed the in motion. I did not complain and now I am glad I got the more expensive unit. I, too, have only had one instance where we camped in some trees and could not use the satellite.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
djqualls

Mine came with the winegard road trip and it was Ok but I added an KVH tracvision R6 and sent the roadtrip to the bedroom tv exclusively and I really prefer the R6 over the other dish.

I know its a little overkill having two in motion dishes on one coach.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
cookiehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
Thanks, Ron. I've also read that trees can cause a problem with reception and this is why some like to set up their satellite on a tripod. Seems like a pain to me, but then again, if the reception is spotty on the roof, then maybe it's worth the trouble?
Trees and clouds are definately a bane to satellite. We mounted our dish on a 1/2'x2'x2' board and set it on the ground. We also have a little sat finder meter and once you know the general direction to point its easy. My quality signal where I am with this rig is 100% signal. Of course, that will probably change when you get in the woods. For those who want it, I have a listing of all zip codes with dish azmith and elevation I can post for you to copy or you can PM me and I'll send you a copy. I for one have to have my TV.