Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Dane

Default Conquest Super Nova 6331 - Real world towing question

Hi, I'm new here and will soon be new to the world of motorhomes. I'm planning to move up from travel trailers next year and am basically looking for the shortest motorhome I can find that can tow 15K. This has lead me to look into the Super Nova 6331, specifically late 2000's. I can't quite swing a new one of these suckers yet. My question is, how do they tow? I realize they are RATED for 15K towing, which is great, but I live in Colorado and I'm hoping that I won't be doing 15mph up the mountains here when I slap a truck or jeep on a trailer behind it. Heat could also be a concern. My setup will likely be a flatbed trailer with an F150 Raptor on it or a Jeep and a couple of sportbikes. Either way, counting a couple other widgets the max I'd probably be towing would be around 11-12K. Can anyone give me some good insight on what kind of performance to expect? Obviously I won't be breaking any land speed records, but I don't want to be suffering at a snails pace either.

Thanks!
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Hi, I'm new here and will soon be new to the world of motorhomes. I'm planning to move up from travel trailers next year and am basically looking for the shortest motorhome I can find that can tow 15K. This has lead me to look into the Super Nova 6331, specifically late 2000's. I can't quite swing a new one of these suckers yet. My question is, how do they tow? I realize they are RATED for 15K towing, which is great, but I live in Colorado and I'm hoping that I won't be doing 15mph up the mountains here when I slap a truck or jeep on a trailer behind it. Heat could also be a concern. My setup will likely be a flatbed trailer with an F150 Raptor on it or a Jeep and a couple of sportbikes. Either way, counting a couple other widgets the max I'd probably be towing would be around 11-12K. Can anyone give me some good insight on what kind of performance to expect? Obviously I won't be breaking any land speed records, but I don't want to be suffering at a snails pace either.

Thanks!
It seems like some people have great luck towing with these, and others dont. Mine is the 6372 so a little heavier than the 6331. Im ~22K empty. I have towed 10K behind mine and it hated me, but fully loaded and towing that I am over GCWR. We travel from ~albuquerque to silverton often, and while it makes it to silverton, it is much happier doing it without a load. I am not fully confident that mine is running correctly, so dont take my one data point as gospel. I feel like mine *should* run much better than it does, and I'll keep throwing parts at it until I figure it out.

I have zero issues with it overheating. Water temp usually runs ~195-205, and Oil temp never goes over ~219. Trans always stays really cool. EGT's stock would max out around 1150ish, with the TSMP8 they would go up to 1250 occasionally (with the stock exhaust).

I don't think any of the models can really truly tow 15K, with the GCWR being 33K. I would assume even the 6331 empty cant be much lighter than 20K?

--Jeff
Old 05-03-2021, 04:45 AM   #3
FreedMeister

We have a 2008 with the international motor. Regularly tow my 2016 colorado crew cab on a flatbed. Still pretty slow on a big climb, but no issues. Great hauler. I did put air suspension in the back.drives really well when loaded up
FreedMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedMeister View Post
We have a 2008 with the international motor. Regularly tow my 2016 colorado crew cab on a flatbed. Still pretty slow on a big climb, but no issues. Great hauler. I did put air suspension in the back.drives really well when loaded up
What kind of slow are we talking?

Appreciate the feedback.
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
SlimTim

2010 Supernova 6400 towing 14’ enclosed trailer with 4 MX bikes and fuel and gear for a week of riding. Weight wise I am around 30k to 31k lbs. I am down to 35 or 40 mph on any long uphill grade. Never had any issues with overheating, but it is slow going up the big hills out west.

Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:01 AM   #6
Mike46123

All I can offer is, I just bought my 2008 6372 in May. I pulled my Malibu from Florida to Indiana on a U-Haul front wheel dolly, and quite frankly had no problem cruising at 75mph. A little faster than I should of been going, but I was on a time crunch. The details; the camper was empty of all personal belongings, but I did have a full water tank, about 900 lbs, the car and dolly around 3500 lbs total. All temps stayed well within range, and still did pretty decent climbing hills.

GVWR 25900 lbs
TOWING 15000 lbs
PAYLOAD 7100 lbs
Mike46123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
BadX

A little late to this party but we were towing a 24' enclosed hauler with a full size C10 in it. We have made the trip from North Carolina to Daytona. Never weighed the hauler with the truck in it but figuring it was somewhere around 13,000. First trip on the way down sheared off all but one bolt holding the hitch on and was lucky that one bolt held. The bolts sheared off going over a Bridge in SC on 95 when we hit a major dip in the road. Got pulled over, called GoodSam and they sent a a road size service out that picked up grade 5 bolts to replace what was there. Needless to say we were on edge the rest of the trip and stayed well under the 65 mph speed limit. Got to Daytona and the next morning replaced all the grade 5 bolts with grade 8 and torqued them down to the correct torque values. Retorqued them when we got back home and haven't had an issue since. We did get rid of the 24' hauler which was all steel frame and super heavy and got a 28' all aluminum enclosed hauler. We made the trip back down the next year with the same truck and never had a problem. We did make a trip to Bristol a few years later with a 3000 lb race car in the hauler from the foothills of NC and the RV didn't have any issues going up or coming back down the mountains of TN and NC. We do not have one but i would recommend putting a Jake brake on, still need to do that to ours but we aren't traveling like we were with the RV like we were.
BadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
bhplumber

I have a 6331 and flat tow my 09 wrangler unlimited with no issues. I've run from Rapid city SD Sioux Falls SD with full living gear, fuel, water ( i like to run a full water tank because it rides better but you do feel the power loss ), and the back of the Jeep full of firewood. I've never weighed in but I can run comfortably with the cruise set at 70. It will slow down to 50-55 on some of the inclines except for a few longer steeper ones that it gets down to 40ish. The last trip home was 95+ degrees out with no overheating. When it really starts to slow down I usually just let it get to were its running comfortably and let it do it's thing rather then hold it to the floor. I have a high flow muffler and EGR delete with 27K miles on the coach. I wish it had the same Powerstroke my 20 F350 has but after owning travel trailers, class c gassers, and diesel pushers I think the Supernova is the best all around RV you can get for under 90K. I would like to upgrade to a 33SW or Magnitude but I haven't had the option of being in one personally to compare quality on the coach side. I have considered trying to find someone with the knowledge to swap in a newer style Powerstroke in the SN. I think it could be done for less money then purchasing a new magnitude @ $175K+.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote