Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default Fantastic camping weather

As I drove my Jeep Wrangler around today doing errands, I noticed the temp was about 81 degrees today. Oh how I longed to be in a nice camping area. If only this weather would have held off for this Saturday. I don't care anymore, I am going camping this weekend come sick kids and bad weather. I haven't been out since January 27th and I am going. I will dewinterize the MH even if it means running a small heater in the basement a few nights until spring/summer. I live in PA and will no longer envy those of you in warmer climates. I will take action and I will enjoy the MH to the best of my ability, (if my wife lets me, lol). She will, she is a great sport too. Who is with me, let the season of happy camping begin. Happy Camping everyone!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Timothy

Yeah, Ive got the itch too. It was close to 60 here in Wisconsin on Saturday so went out to the fiver and started cleaning up and preparing for Spring. Unfortunatly the weather didn't hold out, It's snowing right now as I look out the window on Monday afternoon.

I was thinking about trading up to a Sedona but decided to keep the Canyon Trail for at least another season, still waiting for the perfect floor plan. So I guess I'll get the tools out next weekend and start doing a little remodeling again, may even stay the night in the camper.

I'll post some pictures of my improvments when I'm through.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
TSoul

Thats great, I would like to see some pics. What type of improvements have you done/going to do? We are considering adding 2 more group 27 (12v) batteries and an inverter. Other than that we have no plans to change anything else. When we bought it we had a SurgeGuard installed and a washer/dryer (vented) put in. I also added a dvd/vcr combo. I wish it came with the surround sound but it didn't and I don't believe I will add it. Happy Camping.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Timothy

Go to http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/ca ... snw?Page=1 and you can see the bunkhouse remodel I did.
be sure to look at both pages, You can also see some more photos at http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/ca ... snw?Page=1 some of the photos are from when I first picked it up in November of 2003.

I have added lights to all the cargo areas, light switches to the lamps in the stow away room, bathroom, and sink area. Added a 3 bulb vanity fixture over the sink, electric dump valve on the black tank, added gutter to the street side (for some reason it only came with a gutter on the curb side) the list goes on but you get the idea! Good luck with your new coach.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
TSoul

Nice pics, thanks for posting.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
Roy Buzzard

I have the same basic model as yours only I have the TT. I would have never thought of the added storage with the bunk area/garage. What a great idea. Nice work, it looks really good
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Timothy

Thanks Roy and Tsoul, it wasn't that hard to do and made some good use of otherwise wasted space. I bought the cabinet doors at a liquidator for $10.00 each, that and the hinges were the most expensive part, still I don't think I spent over $60.00 to do it. The wood grain around the cabinets is contact paper over the original paneling and unless you really look close you wouldn't know it. I used a razor knife and straight edge to cut the paneling, the panels are only around 1/8" thick.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
TSoul

Well, it looks like the sick kid and the cold weather will keep me from camping. We all want to go but my wife (the voice of reason) turned my back to the dark side and we decided not to venture out this weekend. Maybe the weekend of the 25th will be a bit better for us. I got the bug to go something bad and its not going to go away until I am out sitting around the fire havin a beer.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
justlizz

Is the weather so bad over there that you dont do much winter trips we go away every month for a few days the temps drop to about 16-20 f but we are nice and cosy in our van when we travelled down in France after Christmas this year we ended up in the middle of a freezing rain storm and it looked like we were towing a giant ice cube it was a bit scarry but we managed just last week-end we were away and woke up to an inch of snow but we were allcosy inside
lizz
Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
TSoul

The weather really isn't that bad and I do like winter camping. My wife is worried about freezing water lines in our brand new camper and my son is still sick. If he didn't have a bad chest cold we would still go as the weather looks like it will be nice (partly cloudy highs 43 low 22). I guess this weekend I can't have my cake and eat it too. lol Happy Camping.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Timothy

I know what you mean about sick kids, both of my daughters are down with the flu. My 9 year old is heartbroken, this will be the first time in 3 years that she hasn't gotten a perfect attendance award.

Never have tried any winter camping as most of the campgrounds in Wisconsin are closed from the end of October until about mid April and the snow can get pretty deep here. My wife is having a hysterectomy (sp?) at the end of April so we probably won't get to go until mid May..........sigh.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
Roy Buzzard

I just don't like the idea of winterizing 3 or 4 times through the winter. Looks like we are going to get a later start this year also, I am in the middle of a job transfer.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
justlizz

Sorry to hear about sick son no it is not a good idea to go I must admit I would only go away in good weather when the kids were small there is nothing worse than being stuck in a small TT with kids in the pouring rain and when we first started it was a 18ft TT and I had 4 girls now thank goodness it is just Hubby and I and if the kids turn up they bring there own tent
Re winterising van I only make sure the water line is empty and I keep a small oil filled heater on low am I supposed to do anything else ?
lizz
Old 03-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
TSoul

Well I decided that sense I have an appiontment next week at the dealership that I NEED to do another shack down outing. So come bad weather or sick kid we are going this coming weekend. The forcast looks pretty good so that is a good thing. I am determined however and will not be swayed to canceling this trip. Wish us luck and Happy Camping to ya all.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #15
justlizz

Hope the weather stays good and you have a great time
lizz
Old 03-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #16
TSoul

I made my reservation for Pine Grove State Furnace State Park PA for the weekend. Site 39. Stop by and visit with us I'm doin the wash today and am going to start packing the camper tomorrow. I am so excited. Happy Camping everyone.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
justlizz

I think it is a bit far to travel for a beer for me but have a super time and I hope your son is feeling better
lizz
Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
TSoul

Thanks justlizz, for the good wishes. The forcast is high of 49 and low of 35 this weekend with a 30% chance of rain showers. It sounds good enough to me. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #19
justlizz

Well TSoul how did the w/end go ?
lizz
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #20
TSoul

It was great. We had clear skies and highs of 50 degrees. There was hardly anyone around. When we left Sunday only on TT was still there. It was quiet and cool with a warm fire. We had some really good meals and talked and played some games together. We ran two space heaters and that keeped us more than toasty and saved the propane. We ran a load of wash to make sure the washer worked and all was fine. We made sure all the systems worked (again) and everything was great. I still have a few small issues that will be fixed on Wednesday. I also get an inverter and some more batteries added. We are going out again this coming weekend, this time to the Lickdale Campground in Lebanon. As far as I am concerned Camping Season Has Started YYAAAAAHHHOOO!!
Thanks for asking And thanks for all your replies. Happy Camping.