Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
brains77396

Default New Visa model

I was just browsing the GS website and ran across a new Visa model. Shaped like the single axle models, but is three feet longer and has dual axle's. Slide-out on the road side with a sofa. Nice looking trailer. About 5oo lbs more than the smaller version. I want one. :P
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Doctor Debit

Default Visa 23RBK

I'm picking mine up Thursday (Cincinnati) and trying it out this weekend. We originally planned to buy a 19ERD, but by the time ours came in, the 23's were shipping so we switched our order. I'll put something up when I have some experience with it.
Doctor Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
brains77396

Default Re: Visa 23RBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Debit
I'm picking mine up Thursday (Cincinnati) and trying it out this weekend. We originally planned to buy a 19ERD, but by the time ours came in, the 23's were shipping so we switched our order. I'll put something up when I have some experience with it.

Looking forward to that report. I don't know if my Nissan Frontier will pull it or not. Rated at 261 HP and a 6300 lb tow rate. If not, back to the 19ERD for me. Have not been able to find much info on the 23's. Nothing on the site where you are purchasing yours. Maybe I should call Keith and speak to him about it.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Doctor Debit

Default 23RBK

Well, we just got back from the maiden voyage. This camper is everything we hoped for. All systems performed flawlessly. Workmanship is excellent. Our only prior travel trailer was a KZ hybrid, which was OK, but the Visa is a definite bump up in quality.

Loads of nice features like good size fridge, and a media center that would make a computer geek drool. We saw some conflicting numbers, but the official documentation shows a dry weight of a little over 3600. Hitch weight is 370. The 19ERD would have done what we needed, but the 23 gives us a little more room and the ability to lounge around or have another couple over.

We towed with my son's half ton GMC, since we decided not to try it with the Explorer. Not that the Explorer couldn't pull it, but ours is getting a little old, and we are going to get a Honda Ridgeline in a few weeks. If your vehicle is rated at 6300, you should have no problems.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
brains77396

Thanks Doctor D. Looks like we may move up to the 25 as my wife likes it. For some strange reason she get 17 votes to everyone else's one.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Doctor Debit

Default Visa 23rbk

Yup, thats the way it seems to work

A couple of areas you will want to upgrade right away though:

1. Mattress is pretty thin. A really good topper would be in order.

2. You should consider installing a retractable awning over the slide. The mechanic that did our walkaround highly recommended it, and I concur. It will save you lots of trouble later on.

All in all, I still give the unit an A+
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
j233

Default Re: 23RBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Debit
We towed with my son's half ton GMC, since we decided not to try it with the Explorer. Not that the Explorer couldn't pull it, but ours is getting a little old, and we are going to get a Honda Ridgeline in a few weeks. If your vehicle is rated at 6300, you should have no problems.
Doc D, how was the towing experience ? Stability, mileage ? Do you really feel the difference of the shape of the trailer and that it sits low ?

J233
j233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
frog60

Default Visa 23RBK

Brains, we currently own the 19 Visa RSD and tow it easily with our 07 Frontier. We are going to upgrade to the 23 RBK next week and will also be towing it with our Frontier. I'll let you know how it works out.
frog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
frog60

Default Visa 23 update

OK-we got our new Visa 23. The layout with the slide is much nicer than the Visa 19. We had them put the awning over the slide-good thing cause it rained quite a bit while we were in Mo.
We drove from Branson to Albuquerque towing with our 07 frontier. The Frontier has enough power and certainly is well within it's stated tow capacity. A little slow up hills but I kept it at 65 most of the way. I averaged about 11mpg. No overheating even though temps were in the 90s. I ran into quite a bit of sway, especially when being passed by trucks. After doing some experimenting I discovered that it is much more stable with the fresh water tank completely full. The water tank is in front of the axles so it seemed to balance the TT better and eliminated 90% of the sway. It does add more weight but well worth it. You absolutely must have an equalizer hitch and at least one sway bar. The Frontier will do the job but I will probably get a larger truck for safety and peace of mind.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu

Even on our 19RSD we noticed a tendency towards sway on the highway, but adding and equalizer hitch makes all the difference! Our last trip I passed an 18 wheeler and got up over 80 MPH and the trailer felt rock solid behind me. The water tank is probably a good idea, but then you have to haul the extra weight.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
frog60

Default Heater

We took our Gulf Stream 23 to Pagosa Springs, Co last week and had a great time. Towing was a breeze. No crowds and nice weather. However, the nights cooled down to the teens and the heater ran all night and could only get the temp in the trailer up to 65. I'll contact the dealer and see what they say.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
KJRitch

Checked out a new Visa ERD today. Nice trailer but the mattress is very poor. Very thin. For the price of these trailers a real mattress should be included. Can this mattress be replaced? I noticed it was barely over 6 feet so maybe its a proprietary size? The storage under the bed doesn't have any pneumatic supports and the spare tire was there. Is that really where the spare is supposed to be stored?

If you are camping where the temperatures in the teens then 65 shoulds good with only a 20k btu furnace to keep the temperatures up. Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong.

Kelvin
KJRitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
frog60

Default mattress

We got the upgraded matress in ours-very comfortable. The dealer included it in the price. The standard mattress is like you said, a thin piece of foam. The spare is under the bed on both the 19 & 23 but in the 23 it is sunk down so you can store stuff on top. Lifters would be nice for the bed.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
DonMitsu

Default Mattress

Congrats on your new TT. We just got a mattress topper from WalMart which seems to work well
Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
mediaman

Default Spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitch
Checked out a new Visa ERD today. Nice trailer but the mattress is very poor. Very thin. For the price of these trailers a real mattress should be included. Can this mattress be replaced? I noticed it was barely over 6 feet so maybe its a proprietary size? The storage under the bed doesn't have any pneumatic supports and the spare tire was there. Is that really where the spare is supposed to be stored?

If you are camping where the temperatures in the teens then 65 shoulds good with only a 20k btu furnace to keep the temperatures up. Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong.

Kelvin
The ERD I looked at had the spare in a well under the bed with a carpet board as a covering. This allows you to use all the space under the bed except for where the water tank is located. Don't all Visa trailers have the tire well?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
w2kim

Default Re: Spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitch

Kelvin
The ERD I looked at had the spare in a well under the bed with a carpet board as a covering. This allows you to use all the space under the bed except for where the water tank is located. Don't all Visa trailers have the tire well?

We attended the RV Show in Greensboro, NC today. We currently have a 1997 27ft Sunline TT. We were looking mostly at the ultra-lite TT's and were especially attracted to the Visa. The model that was on display was the 19RGU and there was no well for the spare. However, the Gulfstream National Sales Mgr - Ultra Lite Div was there and he mentioned that the current models do have the well.
w2kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
mediaman

Thanks for the confimation on the well for the spare tire. Did you learn anything else about the Visa from the sales manager?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
w2kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman
Thanks for the confimation on the well for the spare tire. Did you learn anything else about the Visa from the sales manager?
He answered a few specific questions I had and also commented on their marketing strategy in view of the economy and high fuel prices. Also, described their manufacturing facility .... etc.
His name is Steve Jacobs and his title is "National Sales Manager - Ultra Lite Division". His e-mail is [email protected].
His phone number is 800.289.8787 ext. 5146 and cell is 574.320.2308.
He was most helpful and not at all pushy. I am sure he would welcome any questions that you might have.
w2kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #19
brains77396

Default Our New Visa

Wanted to buy a Visa last year and called one of the discount dealears in Ohio twice to tell them I would take the ERD. No reply. My thought was if they did not want to talk to me before the sale, they sure wouldn't after the sale. Purchased a Heartland MPG 183 instead. Two week vacation and it quickly became apparent that sleeping where I just finished eating was for the birds. Took my son up to Texas A & M and on the way, saw a lot with several Visa's sitting there. To make a long story short, we picked up our new 23RBK this last Monday . Spent most of the week moving in and attaching tp, papertowel, knife , clocks and the wife's shower curtain with butterfly print (must have item). Pulling our MPG with our Frontier we got 13.5 MPG. Pulled the GS home with our Titan and got it up to 13.2 MPG. Using a sway bar, but no WDH, yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nissan-Visa.JPG (69.2 KB, 3722 views)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
DonMitsu

Default Re: New Visa model

Congratulations on the new TT! And on your son going to A&M!

Gig 'Em

Don