Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
pchicky

Default generator/inverter question

When you generator is running, is the inverter powered up to recharge your coach batteries? I had a problem with my inverter (not being plugged in from the factory), so I wired it into an electrical source in the rear bathroom of my 6400, but I believe that source is not in operation when the generator is running (as are several recepticles in the coach).

I've heard that there is a plug in for the inverter in the back of the AC breaker box....if so, does this power the inverter when the generator is running? Also, if this IS the case, then I assume there is some type of isolator that keeps the coach batteries from being overcharged when the generator AND the coach motor are both running?

Seems only logical to me that the coach batteries should charge with the generator running if you are dry camping.....not the case at present with mine, and I figure I've just got the inverter wired into the wrong spot.

TC.....I bet this one is right up your alley.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Georunner

When you say "coach" batteries I am thinking you mean the ones to start your engine. I always get names for the batteries mixed up. Anyway, the generator does not charge my coach batteries and I don't think it is supposed to. If I am dry camping for more than a few days, and I often do, I will occasionally put a battery charger on the coach batteries when the generator is running just to be safe. I just don't think there is a "connection" between the generator and coach batteries. If there is, mine doesn't work either.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
pchicky

Maybe my terminology is wrong, but coach batteries to me have been the ones for the coach area and the "engine battery" has been for starting the drive engine.

So, my question relates to the inverter charging the coach batteries.....thanks for any insights that are out there.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
dsomonster

I understand we did not have a stock inverter but a converter to charge the house batteries. The converter would charge the house batteries ONLY when on genny, shore and /or solar power.

When the unit is running the alternator will charge both the "house" and "starter" batteries. The alternator will give the "starter" batteries priority and then send a smaller amp charge to the "house" batteries.

I have dumped the old dual, group 27 "house" battery setup and went with 6-6v Interstate U2200's as my "house" battery bank. I also bypassed the stock converter and installed a Xantrex RS3000 Inverter/Charger to give the new batteries a better charge.

I could be wrong, but I did extensive research. I will post pics in a bit.

-Ron
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Georunner

I was wrong, and dsmonster is correct. The generator should charge the engine batteries at some rate. If it is not charging the house batteries something is very wrong. I replaced my 12v batteries with 4 Trojan golf cart batteries and added the Charge Wizard to the 9100 converter that came with the coach.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Texas TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsomonster
I understand we did not have a stock inverter but a converter to charge the house batteries. The converter would charge the house batteries ONLY when on genny, shore and /or solar power.

When the unit is running the alternator will charge both the "house" and "starter" batteries. The alternator will give the "starter" batteries priority and then send a smaller amp charge to the "house" batteries.

-Ron
Sorry, been out of touch for a few days. This is my understanding also. Being an early model, mine certainly did not come with an inverter. My understanding of how the converter works is the same as Ron posted.

My definition for batteries are:

Coach/chassis battery runs the International side.

House/box batteries run the GS side.

I don't know if that is "technically" correct but it works for me and defines it to the service folks pretty well.

Good luck.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
dsomonster

The way TexasTC describes his batteries is exactly how I describe my batteries to everyone. In fact, all the people in our camping group use the same terminology. Just makes it easier to be on the same page when talking or writing about something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsomonster

-Ron
Sorry, been out of touch for a few days. This is my understanding also. Being an early model, mine certainly did not come with an inverter. My understanding of how the converter works is the same as Ron posted.

My definition for batteries are:

Coach/chassis battery runs the International side.

House/box batteries run the GS side.

I don't know if that is "technically" correct but it works for me and defines it to the service folks pretty well.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
pchicky

OK, I messed with the RV this weekend. Found that with the genset running I only have one line being powered in the breaker box, and the converter was on the dead line. So, for a quick fix, I switched the breaker for the washer/dryer (which I don't have) with the converter and my house batteries are charging on genset. However, this doesn't fix the root cause.

The best I can figure, I've got a problem in the power transfer switch for the genset to shore power that is not supplying fully 50 amp service down both lines...put another way, I'm only getting half of the genset output in the rig. All is fine with the RV plugged into shore power, so that tells me it's in the genset side of the power transfer switch.

Here's the question. What value does this power transfer switch do, other than make it a convenience to switch between generator and shore power? My last C Class didn't have one, and you literally just plugged the shore power line into an RV recepticle hooked to the genset in the storage area where the shore power line was stored....it was simple and easy.

Seems to me that you could do the same with the 50 amp double pole line, couldn't you? I mean, if you're running the genset on a trip, you pull into a campround and want to plug it in, you have to get the cord out, so what's the harm in just unplugging it from the genset and plugging it into shore power. Yeah, your A/C units will be off for two seconds, but that seems like an extremely minor inconvenience and it bypasses the power transfer switch which, to me, is just another potential failure point.

With that said, if the power transfer box is performing another safety feature, somebody please tell me. I'd love to learn about it.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
pchicky

OK, last message on this post from me.

I routed the power from the generator into a 50 amp recepticle, mounted on the outside of the power conversion box in a separate electric box. Plugged the shore power into it and voila'.......full power to all recepticles, appliances, and the DC Converter....fixed that problem for sure.

For those that have problems with the power converter in the future...don't waste your time or money fixing it. The solution I did cost about $15 instead of $650 and it works just fine.